Lumsden Makes Impression In Scrimmage

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
JSPB22

Lumsden Makes Impression In Scrimmage

Postby Deadskins » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:43 pm

By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
August 5, 2006

Jesse Lumsden took a handoff and broke to the right. Solid blocking up front allowed Lumsen to cut through the line of scrimmage. He slipped through a tackle and ran into the end zone for a 12-yard touchdown run.
Lumsden, a first-year player hoping to earn a roster spot with the Redskins, has opened eyes during training camp.

Joe Gibbs has certainly taken notice.

"In every single work day, there hasn't been a day where we have looked at the film and didn't say, 'This guy is quick,'" Gibbs said. "[Special teams coordinator] Danny Smith likes him on special teams. He's very smart. We'll give him some key roles which I think he could fill.

"There hasn't been a practice where he hasn't done something to catch somebody's eye, so I'd say he is one of the guys we're really looking at. He's a promising young guy and he deserves some work."

Lumsden knows he has made an impression, but he doesn't want to lose sight of his goal to make the 53-man roster. It's a challenge, to be sure. The Redskins have strong depth at running back, with veterans Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright ahead of him.

"I'm just going to keep working hard," he said. "Hopefully that'll take me in the right direction."

Lumsden is a 6-2, 219-pound running back who has shown solid speed, strong push running into piles and an ability to break tackles.

In the scrimmage, Lumsden had six carries for 32 yards. During 7-on-7 work, he caught a screen pass with blockers in front and weaved his way down the sideline for a long gain. The play was called back due to a holding call, however.

Lumsden's close friend, running back Kerry Carter, is also competing for a roster spot. Lumsden and Carter both hail from Canada and were members of the Seattle Seahawks training camp roster in 2005. Carter also impressed in the scrimmage, logging 20 yards rushing on three carries. He also caught two passes for 14 yards.

Lumsden has spent a great deal of time working on his special teams skills this preseason. For now, he is contributing on punt and kickoff coverage units.

In the scrimmage, Lumsden believes he may have learned more playing special teams than he did on the offensive side of the ball.

"It gives you a chance to get downfield and see how things are going to start setting up and how things are going to start developing," he said. "The scrimmage idea is great. You get a little tired of hitting your own teammates [in practice]. You get a chance to get pumped up and hit some other people. You get a lot of positives out of it."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=18487
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:22 pm

He looked great on the TD run. He sticks his head in there and isn't afraid to get hit.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:28 pm

He seems very quick. He also followed his blockers well. I'm statrting to like him a lot. I hope he does well on special teams.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:50 am

Everybody here likes him... I tried to tell you all that the kid had real moxy. :wink:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:04 am

I'm really pulling for that kid!!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:31 am

Both he and Carter looked great... Carter actually looked to me to be more of a pure running back... Lumsden looks like one of the guys that can do anything... what are we going to do with all these backs?

Postby Tigercat91 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Lumsden if anything brings energy. He's a very strong runner, and can blast through the hole, but is quick and agile enough to hit the outside for a big gain. He's also got good hands for a running-back. Lumsden could be a starting back in the NFL if the right team gave him a shot (a team without a great running back, like the Cardinals if they didn't pick up James)

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007