Campbell is opening some eyes!

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 am

BossHog wrote:
Mursilis wrote: I've got to think there's some reason Gibbs drafted him, or was it just that JC's clipboard-holding skills were that good?

... as long as he's holding the clipboard on the sidelines deep into a playoff run... WHO CARES? (You apparently.)

Um, sure. If Brunell leads the 'skins to the Super Bowl, I'll refuse to watch, just because it's Brunell. :roll:

We drafted him because JG liked the kid and you need to have two quarterbacks that can play as far as Gibbs is concerned... he's ALWAYS said that the BACKUP QB is one of the most important positions on the roster.

Why not stop skipping a season in your recollections... you know, last season... the season where Brunell took us deeper into the playoffs than we've been since '91...

Don't recall that I've ever complained about going to the playoffs. But Brunell was not, by far, the only player carrying the load.
Ray Brown also took us deeper into the playoffs than we've been since '91, but I'm glad Thomas is back.

... because trust me on this one... we're DONE if Campbell goes in and isn't more ready to play than he is at THIS moment. That could change by later in the year... Campbell is going to keep getting lots of reps and probably a lot of preseason action too... the kid needs some time to grow into an NFL QB and the Redskins have the luxury of being able to grant him that right now. Hopefully we can even blow out a team or two this season and get Campbell in late in the game.

At some point he's going to have to play to get better; if just watching football games made a person starter material, we'd all be ready to take snaps.

I'd play Campbell lots before September... he needs the seasoning. It also allows Brunell to rest more and not risk any silly preseason injuries. Try as I might, I can't find a single negative to that.

It's not the possibility of preseason injuries to Brunell that worries me. Injured, he's an awful QB (not his fault, most players with a serious injury are the same). If you could somehow guarantee me that Brunell will have no health issues this year, I'd absolutely agree that he should start.

I think some of you have been so buried with Redskin mediocrity and for such a long time, that you struggle to talk about anything BUT negatives.

Sorry, it's my contrarian nature. Must be genetics.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:17 am

I believe that Gibbs picked JC for specific reasons that go deeper than his atheletic ability. There has to be some intangibles about this kid that made Joe jump and get him. The things that Gibbs saw in this cat aren't going to fade away or expire, when he gets the experience he needs those traits will come into play.

Im glad that Gibbs is taking his time with Campbell. We all saw what happened with Ramsey. Although its a different situation the outcome would be the same. Ramsey lost confidence in himself. He got beat and talked about so badly that he couldnt go out there and play. He couldn't make a decision on the field cus he kept second guessing himself and by the time he pulled the trigger it was too late. I dont want Campbell in there until he's 100% ready so that he can develop the right way.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:30 am

Steve Spurrier III wrote:
Jake wrote:I.E. Schroeder, Rypien. Gibbs takes a while to ease his qb's into actual games. Be patient. Gibbs knows what he's doing.

Schroeder played in nine games his rookie season and all sixteen in his second. I agree that Gibbs knows what he is doing, but to say that Gibbs holds his young quarterbacks out of action as a rule is a bit misleading.

Schroeder went in because LT broke Theismann's leg.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 am

BossHog wrote:No offense, but I'll take his word on it over yours 365 days a year.

And 366 in a Leap Year. :lol:

Hail to the Redskins!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:38 am

Mursilis wrote: Um, sure. If Brunell leads the 'skins to the Super Bowl, I'll refuse to watch, just because it's Brunell. :roll:

I guess that's your bag... putting words in people's mouths.

Don't recall that I've ever complained about going to the playoffs. But Brunell was not, by far, the only player carrying the load.

... again, putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was the only reason... but he's certainly a big part of their success last year. If you're going to pin all the responsibility to a quarterback, in my opinion that QB deserves a large amount of credit when success is realized.

At some point he's going to have to play to get better; if just watching football games made a person starter material, we'd all be ready to take snaps.

Wow, thanks for that stunning piece of insight... without it, I'd have sworn that all it took was watching football. That's kind of why I said to get Campbell in in the preseason... AND to get him into games that we can afford to...

It's not the possibility of preseason injuries to Brunell that worries me. Injured, he's an awful QB (not his fault, most players with a serious injury are the same). If you could somehow guarantee me that Brunell will have no health issues this year, I'd absolutely agree that he should start.

Oh well then... if all you want is my personal guarantee that someone won't get hurt in a game of football, that isn't much to ask. Can YOU guarantee me that putting Campbell in for a game or two REGARDLESS of whether or not he's ready WON"T mean a loss or two and a 9-7 season instead of an 11-5 season (as an example). Better yet, why don't you guarantee me that Campbell won't get hurt? Why don't you guarantee me that playing a kid before he's ready won't DESTROY the kid's confidence for years a la Patrick Ramsey in the Spurrier experiment?

Sorry, it's my contrarian nature. Must be genetics.

Funny... I have a decent vocabulary... and thought of a lot of words that describe what I think are the reason but none of them were 'genetics'. Killjoys are a dime a dozen around here... it's not like I'm not used hearing this rhetoric before a regular season snap has even been made. Like I said... you're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. If you want to whine about what might happen, you go right ahead. I base my observations on what I have SEEN here at camp and to what I SAW all of last year... not on what I HOPE will transpire.

... and if you are at camp right now... you'll see that this team has an exponentially better chance of having a good season with Brunell at the helm. Will he get hurt? Maybe. And if he does... our season is DONE unless Campbell shows a TON more than he's showing right now.

Do I think Campbell has it in him? Absolutely I do. He's just not there yet and I personally would rather see him get more and more reps with the first team in practice... get some playing time WITH STARTERS in the preseason... and SHOW THE COACHING STAFF that he is ready to step up and step in.
Last edited by BossHog on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:42 am

BossHog wrote:Brunell took us deeper into the playoffs than we've been since '91...

We went just as far in '99 (actually further, since we were just a botched snap on a FG away from winning that game).

Hail to the Redskins!

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:01 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I believe that Gibbs picked JC for specific reasons that go deeper than his atheletic ability. There has to be some intangibles about this kid that made Joe jump and get him. The things that Gibbs saw in this cat aren't going to fade away or expire, when he gets the experience he needs those traits will come into play.

I agree 100%. I think he'll be great in this league.

Im glad that Gibbs is taking his time with Campbell. We all saw what happened with Ramsey. Although its a different situation the outcome would be the same. Ramsey lost confidence in himself. He got beat and talked about so badly that he couldnt go out there and play. He couldn't make a decision on the field cus he kept second guessing himself and by the time he pulled the trigger it was too late. I dont want Campbell in there until he's 100% ready so that he can develop the right way.

I agree regarding Ramsey; I think PR had (and still has) great potential, but Spurrier ruined his development and may even have wrecked his career. I was hoping Gibbs would turn PR around, but it didn't play out like that. Anyway, what's done is done.
I think PR's situation and JC's situation are very different. Spurrier was completely out of his league (literally); Gibbs is not. PR had questionable talent around him at the time (Gardner? Jacobs? Trung Candidate?!?); the rest of the offense is 10x better now. JC has already had a year to learn; PR started his rookie year, before he was ready. Lots of differences. I think that if JC had the chance to play now, he would benefit enormously from the experience gained. When young QB's are asked to start for good teams, they can make significant progress (like Big Ben in Pittsburgh, who started as a rookie for a club without lots of significant flaws).

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with this topic (at least until the temptation is too strong again :lol: ). More QB debate isn't going to change a thing. Brunell is the starter, so the best to him. This team will go far either way. I just can't wait to see it all play out.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:32 pm

JSPB22 wrote:
BossHog wrote:Brunell took us deeper into the playoffs than we've been since '91...

We went just as far in '99 (actually further, since we were just a botched snap on a FG away from winning that game).

All though, in my opinion anyway, we were one Carlos Rogers INT away from beating the Seahawks. When he dropped that sure TD interception, I thought that might be the game. If we score there, momentum is back with the Redskins, and I think we are plaing Carolina the following week.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:43 pm

JSPB22 wrote:Schroeder went in because LT broke Theismann's leg.

True, but he also played every game in his second season despite Doug Williams also being on the roster.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:57 am

1) Brunell will be the starter unless he is injured.
2) From what I have read, Campbell is not ready for prime time right now, maybe sometime this yr, but not now.
3) Let's all keep our fingers crossed that Brunell doesn't get hurt this yr.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:01 am

True, but he also played every game in his second season despite Doug Williams also being on the roster.

Who did Joe go with at QB in the playoffs? I forget. :roll:

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 am

yupchagee wrote:1) Brunell will be the starter unless he is injured.
2) From what I have read, Campbell is not ready for prime time right now, maybe sometime this yr, but not now.
3) Let's all keep our fingers crossed that Brunell doesn't get hurt this yr.

Amen... can we all agree on that...

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:24 am

JSPB22 wrote:

Not that it's relevant, but Jay Schroeder. Perhaps you are confusing Schroeder's second season (1986) with his third. Don't worry about forgetting, that was twenty years ago.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:04 am

JSPB22 wrote:

Not that it's relevant, but Jay Schroeder. Perhaps you are confusing Schroeder's second season (1986) with his third. Don't worry about forgetting, that was twenty years ago.

:oops:
Going with Williams the next year, only underscores my point, though.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007