Lefotu Found Unconscious, Condition Seems To Be Improving

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Junior Hog

Lefotu Found Unconscious, Condition Seems To Be Improving

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Wow I really hope he improves soon. This sounds like a very scary situation and also sounds like an even worse stiuation was prevented when the staff find him when they did.

From my uneducated perspective it seems like something possibly heat related. Possibly dehydration?

Whatever the condition I hope he gets better real soon.

News & Notes: Lefotu Is Hospitalized
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
August 9, 2006

The Redskins received a scare Wednesday afternoon when rookie offensive lineman Kili Lefotu was hospitalized for an undisclosed reason.

When Lefotu did not show up to practice on Wednesday evening, the Redskins' medical team and athletic trainers drove over to National Conference Center in Lansdowne, Va., to locate him. Upon finding Lefotu, they took the 6-5, 315-pound lineman to the hospital.

"He is under observation right now," Gibbs said.

Asked about Lefotu's condition when team officials found him, Gibbs replied: "It was a situation where we sent the medical group over there, and I think at first he was unconscious. They took him to the hospital and he's under observation. They said he's groggy and talking."

Gibbs declined to go into details about Lefotu's condition at this time.

Lefotu was the Redskins' seventh-round draft pick in last April's NFL Draft.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=18618
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:50 pm

I scooped you sucka! I closed my thread out because it wasn't as informative. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:51 pm

That sucks. I can't find out any more info.

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 am

Wow...I hope he's ok !
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:09 am

SkinsChic wrote:Wow...I hope he's ok !

yeah that makes two of us.

get well soon.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Redskins rookie Lefotu shows improvement
NFL.com wire reports

ASHBURN, Va. (Aug. 10, 2006) -- Washington Redskins rookie Kili Lefotu showed signs of improvement Aug. 10, and doctors were working to determine what caused him to lose consciousness in his room the day before.

Lefotu, an offensive lineman, was being treated at Loudoun County Hospital, where he underwent a series of tests.

"He's doing much better today," Redskins trainer Bubba Tyer said. "He feels good. He's talking. His fiance came in to be with him. I saw him this morning and he talked to me, called me by name. He has good memory. He can't remember exactly what happened to him yesterday."

Lefotu was found in his room at the National Conference Center, where the players are housed during training camp, after he failed to show up for the Aug. 9 7 p.m. practice. Tyer said Lefotu had been alert enough to ask an operator to call 911, then drifted in and out of consciousness after paramedics and team officials arrived.

"We never had a question with his breathing," Tyer said. "Pulse rate, heart were stable. ... We thought maybe a seizure, but not sure."

Tyer said the team hopes Lefotu can be released Aug. 11, pending the outcome of the tests. He said Lefotu's medical history showed no similar problems, and that the illness was not related to the heat.

Lefotu, 22, was a seventh-round draft pick from Arizona in this year's draft.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/9595058
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:28 am

According to channel 4 this morning, Bubba expects Kili to be released today. Still didn't say what actually happened to him.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 am

SkinsChic wrote:According to channel 4 this morning, Bubba expects Kili to be released today. Still didn't say what actually happened to him.
From the hospital or the team? :hmm:
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:15 am

JansenFan wrote:
SkinsChic wrote:According to channel 4 this morning, Bubba expects Kili to be released today. Still didn't say what actually happened to him.

:oops: From the Hospital
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:17 am

SkinsChic wrote:
JansenFan wrote:

Not that it's gonna happen, but can a team release a player like him due to injury/illness? Is the team obligated to keep him in camp?
:hmm:
Back and better than ever!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:21 am

You can work out an injury settlement. Basically, you buy out their contract so that they can rehab and you can move on.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 pm

More details:

Bubba Tyer wrote:Lefotu was first hospitalized on Wednesday evening. Team officials first noticed that he was absent from Wednesday's practice and rushed over to his dorm room to locate him. Lefotu was conscious when team officials found him, but then the 6-5, 315-pound lineman "just passed out," Tyer said.

He was immediately transported to a local hospital. Initial tests on Lefotu were negative, but doctors wanted to keep him hospitalized to run more tests.

Team officials discounted Lefotu's condition as related to the heat.

"He is a big guy, and he had a good week of practice and work," Tyer said. "He wasn't any worse off than the other guys in regard to the heat. He wasn't one of the guys we had to IV earlier. It wasn't related to heat."

link
Last edited by 1niksder on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby yupchagee » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:47 pm

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
SkinsChic wrote:
JansenFan wrote:

Not that it's gonna happen, but can a team release a player like him due to injury/illness? Is the team obligated to keep him in camp?
:hmm:

My guess is that he'll land on the PS.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Offensive lineman Kili Lefotu was released from the hospital on Friday, but it's still uncertain what caused his illness last Wednesday.
"All of the tests that came back, the doctors feel that he had a seizure, but the tests weren't conclusive," Redskins director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer said on Friday. "We are just going to keep an eye on him and slowly get him back."

The team had targeted Tuesday as a possible date that Lefotu could return to practice.

link
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007