THN Gameday Thread

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
#14
Posts: 4329
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:32 pm

SkinzCanes wrote:
Why does everyone have such a hard time thinking that Lloyd should have ran an out route instead of an inroute? Brunell put it right there for him to catch to pick up the 1st down and get out of bounds. He won't say it b/c he would be calling the guy out but I promise you, that was the pass he was throwing. How many passes did Brunell throw in the stands last year? If he was trying to throw it away, he would have.


Even if Llyod had ran an outroute that pass still probably would've been picked. There were two defenders there anyway. Assuming that he was trying to complete a pass instead of throwing it away, it was a terrible decision by Brunell. No reason for him to make that throw off his back foot with a defender in his face. All he did was float the ball into coverage. Saying that the Portis injury was Brunell's fault is rediculous, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a bad idea for Brunell to throw that pass.



Come on folks. It was the 1st preseason game. what I see:
Good- Eubanks, Espy, Sykes, McIntosh, McCune, Campbell
Bad- Injuries.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 pm

SkinzCanes wrote:
Why does everyone have such a hard time thinking that Lloyd should have ran an out route instead of an inroute? Brunell put it right there for him to catch to pick up the 1st down and get out of bounds. He won't say it b/c he would be calling the guy out but I promise you, that was the pass he was throwing. How many passes did Brunell throw in the stands last year? If he was trying to throw it away, he would have.


Even if Llyod had ran an outroute that pass still probably would've been picked. There were two defenders there anyway. Assuming that he was trying to complete a pass instead of throwing it away, it was a terrible decision by Brunell. No reason for him to make that throw off his back foot with a defender in his face. All he did was float the ball into coverage. Saying that the Portis injury was Brunell's fault is rediculous, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a bad idea for Brunell to throw that pass.


I don't think that any of us know what exactly would have happened had Lloyd had run an out, but still, it happend and I wouln't read into it except that they will use more of these preseason games to get on the same page.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:04 am

Interesting stat. I said alot of guys did good on defense but what I didn't know was Daughtery led the team in tackles with 7. Good for him but he still needs to work on his pass coverage skills.

#14
Posts: 4329
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 am

frankcal20 wrote:Interesting stat. I said alot of guys did good on defense but what I didn't know was Daughtery led the team in tackles with 7. Good for him but he still needs to work on his pass coverage skills.


He has a lot to learn, but he's a quick study. I think he'll be a solid backup to AA & a ST stud.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

~~~~~~~~~~
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:01 pm
Location: Southern California

Postby air_hog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:39 am

Wow, just finished watching the tape and actually I was really impressed with the Skins!

Positives:
-First team defense was UNBELIEVABLE!
-Lloyd is going to be sick to watch this year
-The O-Line, especially Samuels, looked pretty good tonight.
-JC is AWESOME. Sure it was the 2nd/3rd string defense, but he had poise, touch and some zip on his throws.
-Pierson Prioleauo (still can't spell his name right) is awesome too. I forgot how enthusiastic and how much of a baller he is.

Not so Positive:
-Portis situation, duh. But he'll be ready for the opener and he doesn't need PreSeason anyways. Actually, this is a great excuse to get him out of the PreSeason! :mrgreen:
Kenny Wright got beat a couple of times, but to his credit Henry is like a 6-4 giant. But he looks like a great blitzer.
-All the injuries tonight.
-Collins. Hopefully this doesn't destroy all his confidence after a few bad quarters, but he did look pretty helpless out there.


Hopefully next week Mark can play a little more with BLloyd, Moss, ARE and Cooley and get a better feel for them.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Postby redskingush » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:31 am

I am so sick of hearing its only preseason. This is where the foundation is set for the whole season, That team looked like they stayed at Redskins Park for the most part. Ask Joe what he thought I can guarentee he would'nt say "ah, it only a preseason game."
GO SKINS GO!!

---
User avatar
Posts: 18573
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 am

redskingush wrote:I am so sick of hearing its only preseason. This is where the foundation is set for the whole season, That team looked like they stayed at Redskins Park for the most part. Ask Joe what he thought I can guarentee he would'nt say "ah, it only a preseason game."


Well get a puke bag because it is ONLY preseason. Anyone who thinks this is how the team is going to perform obviously hasn't learned anything. Gibbs doesn't show squat during the preseason. We had our 2nd string in their WAYYYY before Cincy, I thought Redskins fans would have noticed that. I had to explain it to my Ravens fans cousin, would haven't thought Id need to do it here. They have a lot of raw talent to evaluate and that is all they're trying to do. Gibbs isn't going out there trying to impress you or me, he's trying to build the best team possible.

Yeah FFA, I agree Joe needs to be fired. :wink:

Its good to be back in action but I can't say Im shocked all of the whining has started this early.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:54 am
Location: St Louis via Manassas, Va.

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am

That was embarassing... it's only preseason for everybody, but of the 14 teams I watched play preseason games this week, the Redskins were clearly the furthest behind the power curve... I expect that to change, but we better hope we don't get any starters injured this year because the rest of the group has a long way to go...

~~
User avatar
Posts: 8462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:42 am

The Driver of the Bandwagon wrote:Its good to be back in action but I can't say Im shocked all of the whining has started this early.


It's making our job easier Chris. The bandwagon is gearing to roll, and it's great to know that we won't be carrying excess baggage with us. :wink:
Back and better than ever!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:08 am

CLL wrote:
Its good to be back in action but I can't say Im shocked all of the whining has started this early.


The redeemed one responded:

It's making our job easier Chris. The bandwagon is gearing to roll, and it's great to know that we won't be carrying excess baggage with us. Wink


Well, that's all well and good, Redeemed, but what about the guys who are having to dodge all those bodies that are jumping off the bandwagon? And, who's going to clean up all the mess? :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---
User avatar
Posts: 18573
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:08 am

I can understand the sadness to an extent but how is it fair to compare our team to any other team? Who here knows exactly what Gibbs, Saunders, Williams, Gray, Bugel and Danny where trying to do? None of us really know but it seemed that they were trying to evaluate ALL of their talent.

* When our starters were out there we dominated.
* Our defense crushed Cincys offense
* Our offense moved the ball pretty well being the FIRST TIME THEY'VE PLAYED AGAINST AN OPPOSING DEFENSE. It looked exactly like it was, a new scheme being deployed for the 1st time.

True it was painful to watch but even my Ravens loving cousin wasnt as harsh as some of you are.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:52 pm
Location: none

Postby John Manfreda » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:11 am

We looked bad but, its only preseason, I think Campell looked really good and think we should start him.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:54 am
Location: St Louis via Manassas, Va.

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:23 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I can understand the sadness to an extent but how is it fair to compare our team to any other team? Who here knows exactly what Gibbs, Saunders, Williams, Gray, Bugel and Danny where trying to do? None of us really know but it seemed that they were trying to evaluate ALL of their talent.

* When our starters were out there we dominated.
* Our defense crushed Cincys offense
* Our offense moved the ball pretty well being the FIRST TIME THEY'VE PLAYED AGAINST AN OPPOSING DEFENSE. It looked exactly like it was, a new scheme being deployed for the 1st time.

True it was painful to watch but even my Ravens loving cousin wasnt as harsh as some of you are.



You're kidding right? You think Gibbs accomplished what what he was "trying to do" in that game?... Gibbs thought it was awful, just like everyone else... It gives him lots to look at though. Those kinds of performances are probably better for evaluating guys than when everything goes according to plan...

---
User avatar
Posts: 18573
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:33 am

USAFSkinFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I can understand the sadness to an extent but how is it fair to compare our team to any other team? Who here knows exactly what Gibbs, Saunders, Williams, Gray, Bugel and Danny where trying to do? None of us really know but it seemed that they were trying to evaluate ALL of their talent.

* When our starters were out there we dominated.
* Our defense crushed Cincys offense
* Our offense moved the ball pretty well being the FIRST TIME THEY'VE PLAYED AGAINST AN OPPOSING DEFENSE. It looked exactly like it was, a new scheme being deployed for the 1st time.

True it was painful to watch but even my Ravens loving cousin wasnt as harsh as some of you are.



You're kidding right? You think Gibbs accomplished what what he was "trying to do" in that game?... Gibbs thought it was awful, just like everyone else... It gives him lots to look at though. Those kinds of performances are probably better for evaluating guys than when everything goes according to plan...


Yes I think accomplished what he was trying to do. And what was that? Evaluating talent. Did he evaluate the talent? Yes. Mission accomplished!

I never said it was terriffic but this is why WE are playing the preseason. They still hard starters from last year playing against are camp fodder, guys who wont even make the team. We're trying to find people who will enhance the team. If that was our 1st string defense getting torn apart Id be worried but it wasn't.

Our coahces are going to evaluate each person and pluck them out of the bunch. Those players who performed well yesterday will be our backups. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

What happend when our 1st string defense was out there?
Who performed well lower in our depth charts?
Now add those lower depth people with our starting guys.
Looks good to me.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

mursilis
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Postby Mursilis » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I can understand the sadness to an extent but how is it fair to compare our team to any other team? Who here knows exactly what Gibbs, Saunders, Williams, Gray, Bugel and Danny where trying to do? None of us really know but it seemed that they were trying to evaluate ALL of their talent.

* When our starters were out there we dominated.
* Our defense crushed Cincys offense
* Our offense moved the ball pretty well being the FIRST TIME THEY'VE PLAYED AGAINST AN OPPOSING DEFENSE. It looked exactly like it was, a new scheme being deployed for the 1st time.

True it was painful to watch but even my Ravens loving cousin wasnt as harsh as some of you are.


True, I think the defense looked good/great. I wasn't impressed with Brunell (30.3 QB rating!) and would've liked to see more of him, just to see if the rust was coming off. Can't really evaluate him based on less than a quarter of play; he barely had time to establish a rhythm. I thought Campbell looked solid, and he had the best numbers of the night (51 QB rating), which is deceptive, since he was going against 3rd/4th string defensive players. Still, it was encouraging to see him play, and know he's only going to get better from here. Unlike what others have said, I don't think the season is "done" if Brunell goes down this year and the No. 2 gets significant starts (unless Collins remains the No. 2 - then we're done). I think Campbell can still take this team far.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007