THN Gameday Thread

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:20 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
USAFSkinFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I can understand the sadness to an extent but how is it fair to compare our team to any other team? Who here knows exactly what Gibbs, Saunders, Williams, Gray, Bugel and Danny where trying to do? None of us really know but it seemed that they were trying to evaluate ALL of their talent.

* When our starters were out there we dominated.
* Our defense crushed Cincys offense
* Our offense moved the ball pretty well being the FIRST TIME THEY'VE PLAYED AGAINST AN OPPOSING DEFENSE. It looked exactly like it was, a new scheme being deployed for the 1st time.

True it was painful to watch but even my Ravens loving cousin wasnt as harsh as some of you are.

You're kidding right? You think Gibbs accomplished what what he was "trying to do" in that game?... Gibbs thought it was awful, just like everyone else... It gives him lots to look at though. Those kinds of performances are probably better for evaluating guys than when everything goes according to plan...

Yes I think accomplished what he was trying to do. And what was that? Evaluating talent. Did he evaluate the talent? Yes. Mission accomplished!

I never said it was terriffic but this is why WE are playing the preseason. They still hard starters from last year playing against are camp fodder, guys who wont even make the team. We're trying to find people who will enhance the team. If that was our 1st string defense getting torn apart Id be worried but it wasn't.

Our coahces are going to evaluate each person and pluck them out of the bunch. Those players who performed well yesterday will be our backups. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

What happend when our 1st string defense was out there?
Who performed well lower in our depth charts?
Now add those lower depth people with our starting guys.
Looks good to me.

whew... thanks for clearing that up. Initially I thought Gibbs was unhappy with what he saw... obviously my 8 years of playing and 12 years coaching have left me woefully inept in my understanding of this process... thanks again...

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:33 am

The Sky Is Falling... The Sky Is Falling.

:roll:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 am

USAFSkinFan wrote:whew... thanks for clearing that up. Initially I thought Gibbs was unhappy with what he saw... obviously my 8 years of playing and 12 years coaching have left me woefully inept in my understanding of this process... thanks again...

So whats the purpose of your post? I never said Gibbs was happy, just that the evaluation proccess acomplished. You're the one who felt like they needed to throw out his resume. :roll:

The outcome wasnt great but it was still great work for all of the questionable people. Those on the bubble who didn't perform will get cut if they dont pick up the slack. But of course your 20 years of experience have already given you the ability to know this.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:33 am

my point was that, you said it's unfair to compare other teams because who knows what Gibbs was trying to accomplish... In my opinion, he didn't accomplish what he had hoped with that game... he knew he was going to have film to use for evaluation no matter what the outcome... I 'm betting he'd rather make decisions based on a player's display of strengths, than a lack there of...

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:41 am

I have been away from the site for a while this summer., and I actually thought that people had the ability to learn from their prior premature judgments.

The preseason games are like televised practices...IT MEANS NOTHING.

The first team offense looked pretty good for a team running a new scheme. The first team defense looked great too.

McIntosh looks like he is worth the draft pick. We weren't even running our full offense.

Please play that god danged fiddle somewhere else. Are you people this hasty , pessimistic, and depressed in your real lives??
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:54 am

USAFSkinFan wrote:my point was that, you said it's unfair to compare other teams because who knows what Gibbs was trying to accomplish...

Yes, I believe some teams are looking for starters out of their lower round picks. We have all of our starters (aside from injury) in place. We were mostly looking for depth at key areas. I believe thats why we played our 2nd and 3rd string guys so early. That statement was geared towards those worried about the score and how the team as whole performed. Even though as a whole they stunk it up we had a good share of individual performances. Those accomplishments wont go unnoticed and those players will be slotted into the needed areas.

Aside from injury I didnt really see anything too bad with the game.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby yupchagee » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:CLL wrote:
Its good to be back in action but I can't say Im shocked all of the whining has started this early.

The redeemed one responded:

It's making our job easier Chris. The bandwagon is gearing to roll, and it's great to know that we won't be carrying excess baggage with us. Wink

Well, that's all well and good, Redeemed, but what about the guys who are having to dodge all those bodies that are jumping off the bandwagon? And, who's going to clean up all the mess? :wink:

Our bandwagon will be so far out in front that the mess will be someone else's problem.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby yupchagee » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:40 pm

With the exception of the injuries, the worst thing I can say about last night is that a lot of the players who won't make our team are worse than a lot of the players who won't make theirs.
Skins fan since '55

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:53 pm

i was also quite encouraged by what i saw from the starters, and from some of the key backups (mcintosh, campbell). the starting D gave up NEGATIVE 19 yards over 3 series. that is just time-traveling cyborg crazy.

the offense was moving the ball well til the Interception of Doom. i can only hope portis is well by Week 1, and brunell works out whatever kink it was that caused that throw. i'm sure the timing will get better and the passing game will get into even better sync.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:37 pm

Aside from injury I didnt really see anything too bad with the game.

Aside from the injuries what I got from the game was a glaring lack of depth on the oline and at cb. This is preseason so obviously the score doesn't matter and for the most part what the starters do also doesn't matter too much. What does matter is the play of the 2nd and 3rd stringers who are going to have to step in if we have injuries. And based on last night's performance we could be in some trouble if Springs or Rogers, or any of our olinemen get hurt. Kenny Wright was terrible and the backup oline couldn't block anybody. Hopefully once the coahces look at the game film they will find that someone on the oline had a good individual performance despite the overall pathetic effort of the group.

swine

Postby redskinsrule54 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:39 pm

these people who are saying the team looked horrible i dont think they understand that the starting offense was in for what 1 drive, and that drive was great until the miss route by Loyd, which is a mistake many widereceivers will make in there first game with a new offensive scheme that is one of the most complex in the league. Brunell looked good and his interception was because of Loyd who will know how to run the play when the season starts. Defense looked great, and if anyone on the defense does get hurt remember we only have to fill that position not have the whole second string in. And i think the defense is good enough to compensate for one positision being weak. Who really cares if our third string keeps getting burnt they wont be in when the games count.

swine

Postby getemmj » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:56 pm

redskinsrule54 wrote:these people who are saying the team looked horrible i dont think they understand that the starting offense was in for what 1 drive, and that drive was great until the miss route by Loyd, which is a mistake many widereceivers will make in there first game with a new offensive scheme that is one of the most complex in the league. Brunell looked good and his interception was because of Loyd who will know how to run the play when the season starts. Defense looked great, and if anyone on the defense does get hurt remember we only have to fill that position not have the whole second string in. And i think the defense is good enough to compensate for one positision being weak. Who really cares if our third string keeps getting burnt they wont be in when the games count.

The qb and the reciever are both suppose to make the read and I think that Brunell made the wrong one because there was two defenders on that out route and Lloyd was by himself in the middle of the field.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 pm

The qb and the reciever are both suppose to make the read and I think that Brunell made the wrong one because there was two defenders on that out route and Lloyd was by himself in the middle of the field.

On the John Riggins Show they just had an audio clip from Brunell in which he said that he was trying to throw the ball away and didn't get it far enough out of bounds. That pick was in no way Lloyd's fault.

Yes

Postby Skins21 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:03 pm

He had a guy running at him and threw it like he didn't want to get hit(which in this preseason game was probably for the better, oh yeah except CP subsequently gets hurt). Makes you miss seeing Ramsey stand in and throw it hard no matter what was coming at him.

Re: Yes

Postby yupchagee » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Skins21 wrote:He had a guy running at him and threw it like he didn't want to get hit(which in this preseason game was probably for the better, oh yeah except CP subsequently gets hurt). Makes you miss seeing Ramsey stand in and throw it hard no matter what was coming at him.

Ramsey didn't stand & throw hard, he usually just ate the ball.
Skins fan since '55

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007