Practice Squad Eligibility

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Practice Squad Eligibility

Postby fredp45 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:17 am

It's clear that the Practice Squad is for younger, newer guys. Is there a rule about who can go on that and who can't?

Someone told me there's a rule about how many years a guy has been on a teams active roster but I can't find anything on this.

Anyone know the rules here?

Thanks

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:42 am

A player is practice-squad eligible if he doesn't have a season of accrued free-agent credit, has spent fewer than nine games on the 45-man active roster during his accrued season, or hasn't been on a practice squad for three weeks or more in two different seasons.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:59 am

Thanks 1niksder -- and we think the Federal Gov't has complicated (for no apparent reason) rules...

Wonder why they just don't say, a player can be on a PS if they're within their first two years of NFL eligibilty? Seems a lot easier. It doesn't hurt a player to be on the PS, they get paid and if another team wants them they can sign them away (only for the 53 man squad).

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:26 am

fredp45 wrote:Thanks 1niksder -- and we think the Federal Gov't has complicated (for no apparent reason) rules...

Wonder why they just don't say, a player can be on a PS if they're within their first two years of NFL eligibilty? Seems a lot easier. It doesn't hurt a player to be on the PS, they get paid and if another team wants them they can sign them away (only for the 53 man squad).

If you start the season as a PS player and a active player is hurt, then you are moved up to the active squad in week 3, by week 5 you are starting. Come next year it would be wrong to give you a pratice squad spot after so much playing time, Right?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

piglet

Postby laradioken » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:20 am

Learn something new everyday.
"I'm gonna kill everyone you care about and let you live", Lyle Alzado

Return to Football 101