Official THN Gameday Thread: WAS vs NE

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 pm

ryanw7196 wrote:To see this team succeed this year would be a dream come true, but either way ive been a skins fan my whole life, and whatever happens this year ill still be a skins fan and be cheering on my team
Now we are talking. But why a dream true or not?

Judge them during the REGULAR season when everybody and everything is supposed to fire on all cylinders. There is time and we have the rightpeople onboard. Calm down.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:32 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
skinsfanno9 wrote:At the very minimum, I expect to see some new punters in camp this week.

I really don't see that as our problem. I wouldn't doubt it but we really have more to worry about. How bout not having our punters kick the ball 9 times vs 3 by the other team. Thats terrible. What concerns me is the fact that we gave up 7 sacks tonight for 58 yards. They had none. Cambell was our leading rusher for 26 total yards where their top rusher had 92 and their other had 38. Our top reciever was 35 yards and theirs was 97 (in the 1st half) and that was by a TE.

There is a lot to do. We are not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. We are not working on the fundamentals. I say they should have a really hard week of practice. Hell, 2 a days. At some point the vets need to get together and get fed up of being embarrased. I know I am.

But we really can't change the personnel at the other positions you mention. We can at the punter position. Based on Gibbs' postgame comments, it seems he may be considering a change at punter. I don't disagree that the Oline, receivers, et cetera need to play at a far higher level come the regular season, but we can say that perhaps this is due to schemes, etc. We cannot say the punting is going to improve based on better schemes. Nor do we have a great history with this guy.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:31 am

JPM36 wrote:Well I'm really not that worried.

I'll rescind my request for a JPM you were right thread following the Vikings win, but I do want to see a JPM you were right thread after we clinch a playoff berth.

Thanks in advance.

Only if you give me a "JSPB22, you were right!" thread when we win the SB. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 am

skinsfanno9 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:
skinsfanno9 wrote:At the very minimum, I expect to see some new punters in camp this week.

I really don't see that as our problem. I wouldn't doubt it but we really have more to worry about. How bout not having our punters kick the ball 9 times vs 3 by the other team. Thats terrible. What concerns me is the fact that we gave up 7 sacks tonight for 58 yards. They had none. Cambell was our leading rusher for 26 total yards where their top rusher had 92 and their other had 38. Our top reciever was 35 yards and theirs was 97 (in the 1st half) and that was by a TE.

There is a lot to do. We are not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. We are not working on the fundamentals. I say they should have a really hard week of practice. Hell, 2 a days. At some point the vets need to get together and get fed up of being embarrased. I know I am.

But we really can't change the personnel at the other positions you mention. We can at the punter position. Based on Gibbs' postgame comments, it seems he may be considering a change at punter. I don't disagree that the Oline, receivers, et cetera need to play at a far higher level come the regular season, but we can say that perhaps this is due to schemes, etc. We cannot say the punting is going to improve based on better schemes. Nor do we have a great history with this guy.

Just a follow-up, it's nice to see that Gibbs is of the same mind:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00955.html

According to league sources, contact has been made between the Redskins and player agents for the purpose of possibly bringing in competition for Frost for Thursday night's exhibition finale against the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:16 am

I will admit to some concern but I also have a lot of faith in Gibbs and our coaches and am convinced that we will see a much better effort from everybody against the Vikings.

I will also point out that we did not seem to "adjust" at all on offense or defence and I'm sure there was a purpose to that portion of the game, however the special teams work has got to be better, and again, I believe it will be.

Gibbs and these coaches are too good and will not allow anything like that effort by our team in a meaningful game.
Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Here's a thought: Maybe Joe, and the rest of the coaches, told players to play a certain role, knowing that they were going to get beat repeatedly, just to see if they would stay within the scheme, or would freelance, a la LaVar. When the real action starts, they need to know that a player can follow instructions, and not be out of position.

Hail to the Redskins!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:17 pm

"No matter what you do... DO NOT COVER BEN WATSON!!!"
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:48 pm

JansenFan wrote:"No matter what you do... DO NOT COVER BEN WATSON!!!"

Exactly! :lol:

Do not sack Tom Brady. Just make sure he doesn't scramble outside of the pocket.

Hail to the Redskins!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm

On a serious note, my only real concern after a few days of cooling off is that Jon Jansen seemed to get beat repeatedly on the outside edge.

I think (read: hope) that he is just trying not to grab someone with the recovering right thumb, and during the regular season would stop those guys, but it wasn't just Mike Vrabel, he got beat on the outside by a stunting defensive tackle. I'm the biggest #76 apologist on the board (by RiC's definition, of course), but there is never an excuse for a Defensive Tackle to beat an Offensive Tackle with a speed move.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007