Saunders sets it straight

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
piglet

Saunders sets it straight

Postby box » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:19 pm

August 28, 2006
Redskins Park

Associate Head Coach – Offense Al Saunders

On how he is feeling about the offense after the first three preseason games:
“You have seen a work in progress. I don’t like the score but there is a process that we are going through. The process is taking a patient look at the players we have and putting them in positions to do what we need to see them do. We are not covering the edges on pass protection because we need to see those guys by themselves out there without help from tight ends and backs. We need to see more rhythm in our game and do some things that are very basic without having scheme be the thing that we count on in the preseason. That is what I have always done. The important thing in preseason for us is that each preseason game is like a practice in a game-like environment. We have a plan going into every preseason game to see some individuals do some things that might not be conducive on a down and distance situation from a game planning stand point. If it is something we need to see, the only time we can see it is in a game environment.”

On how he feels about the first team offense not scoring a point in the first three preseason games:“I am not happy if we don’t score every time we have the football in practice. We will get there. I know what the end product will look like. I feel very comfortable that there are players developing their skills to be what we need them to be. For those who see practice, I think you see a totally different football team in terms of the strategy and tactics that we utilize than we do in a game. There is a reason for that. There is a process that we know works, a system that we know works and a procedure of developing an offensive football team that we have had success with over a lot of years.”

On how important it is confidence-wise for the first team offense to put some points up this week against the Baltimore Ravens:“I think if you asked Santana Moss (WR, #89) if he is confident in his abilities as a football player, I think he would tell you he is a pretty good player. Chris Cooley (TE, #47) thinks he is a pretty good player. We know they are good players. It is not the end result of what you do, it is the daily progress of each individual and their techniques and fundamentals. Certainly there were some disappointing parts of the game. There were some guys that probably didn’t play at the level that we would have liked them to play at and they know that. They know what they need to work on to fix it. Individually there is some work that we have to do and collectively there is some work that we have to do and we are going to do that.”

On if he is tempted to use the starters more than he normally would because of their recent performance:“No, not at all. Once again, there is a process that we are following. We have a plan that started in OTA’s to develop in a timely fashion what we would like to develop as an offensive unit. Certainly we would have liked Santana (Moss, WR, #89) to catch that ball on the three-yard line. We would have liked somebody to make a first down. When you use tactics and schemes to camouflage some deficiencies in the preseason, it doesn’t make you any better.”

On Antwaan Randle El (WR, #82):“I think he is a very special player. There is another great example of the preseason. We have not done things specifically to get Antwaan Randle El the ball and have him do the things that he is capable of doing. He sure does do it out there in practice. He is a gifted guy. He can run with the ball and catch it. He is in a developmental stage as a wide receiver. It is something that he is making a transition to and he has done it extremely well. He is developing and I really like what I see.”

well i hope we all feel better now.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Now that put a smile on my face
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 pm

That does make me feel somewhat better. It's nice to hear it straight from Saunders. I checked KC's 2005 preseason schedule and they lost all 4 games and their offense didn't do very much and it was still very good during the regular season. However, that doesn't really explain why the defense got run over by Patrick Cobbs and why we couldn't properly cover any of the Pats' receivers.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:04 pm

I think it's important to understand that it's possible to still be very optimistic about this team and acknowledge that the preseason performance has been south of mediocre. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
RIP Sean Taylor

####

Postby JPM36 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:45 pm

I completely agree.

Everyone is disappointed in the team's preseason performance, myself included. But it hasn't tempered my expectations for the regular season whatsoever.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

piggie

Postby PatrickRamsey » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:47 pm

yea amazingly this is common sense. The skins, as usual, are going through another change, so its not like they can just plug it in and its going to immediately work. People have to learn the offense, etc.
DUH.

...unadulterated

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:18 pm

hey box, would you post the link?

i have been saying this the whole preseason. the coaching staff is utilizing the preseason to evaluate players in certain game day situations. they are purposely calling basic set plays/ match ups. they are looking at individual performances in certain situations. winning be damned. i think that they will know their team better than most nfl teams when the season starts.

all i can say is enjoy this ride!
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 am

I am going to print this out, and sleep with it snuggled under my chin as I suck my thumb in the fetal position tonight.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

mursilis

Re: Saunders sets it straight

Postby Mursilis » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:18 am

box wrote: well i hope we all feel better now.

I do - I've even asked to be taken off suicide watch.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:23 am

- self moderation :twisted:
Last edited by Chris Luva Luva on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:39 am

I'm sure he's not happy with what he's seen when you don't cover the edges in pass protection... you know he was really really hoping those guys would show they can protect without any help so he can open up the play book when the season starts... that sure hasn't happened yet
Last edited by USAFSkinFan on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:10 am

Saunders wrote:Saunders brought up 2002, Steve Spurrier's first year in Washington, when the Redskins went 4-1 in the preseason and averaged 33 points in those games -- only to go 7-9 in the regular season. "The last team here that went 0-4 was 1982, and their next 32 games after that, their record was 28-4," Saunders said. "So I'd like to look at the idea that preseason might not equate with success during the season. We're heading down the right path."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2801281_pf.html

Saunders > Norv :lol:

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:17 am

HOSS wrote:hey box, would you post the link?

http://www.extremeskins.org/TC2006/saunders82806.pdf

After game commentary from ES.

Hog

Postby BernieSki » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:33 am

Maybe we are using Ali's "Rope-a-dope". I think Gibbs has this team playing very close to the vest, probally too close.
BernSki

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:46 am

BernieSki wrote:Maybe we are using Ali's "Rope-a-dope". I think Gibbs has this team playing very close to the vest, probally too close.

It's great to know we have men of vision roaming the sidelines and teaching the guys the fundamentals that'll bring back the Lombardi to DC. Saunders' comments are just further proof that we will win because fo great coaching and great talent. My 2 cents
Back and better than ever!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007