Lumsden Cut

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Postby MEZZSKIN » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:08 pm

I apoligize if this was mentioned earlier but I think the Lumsden cut comes down to one thing--Special Teams contribution.They liked Lumsden and probably still do but at the end of the day Nemo and Cartwright are much better ST contributers. He never would have made the team over them just based on that. And like Boss hog said earlier AJ Harris was healthier than Jesse for the last game and thats probably why he was cut. I think he has an outside chance for the Practice squad

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:06 pm

JPM36 wrote:I really have no problem with Jesse personally. I just think that there were people on here who got really, really carried away about a guy who appears to have never been in the Redskins plans for the regular season, or the preseason for that matter.

I don't even know this can be argued with, seeing as how he touched the ball like 3 times in the preseason before being cut before the last game but I'm sure you'll find a way.

I don't know why you think anyone is 'arguing' about it... THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD... it's for discussing topics, sometimes ad nauseum... I suggest if you personally are sick of talking about something that you simply stop clicking on the thread link. :idea:

He's your boy so I know you have to defend him, but it looks like I was right about the guy all along....

... nor do I know why he's my boy or would have to defend him. I choose to, yes... I like the kid... helps a little that he's Canadian... but that's about the extent of it. Being Canadian made me pay attention to him... it didn't earn my respect for him as a player. Watching him and listening to people whom i consider to be knowledgeable on talent were what garnered that.

Would I have been excited to see him make the team? Sure I would... I still think he could be named to the practice squad at which point the question will simply become was the early dismissal strictly to 'hide' him from the waiver wire.

"Then you are also thinking about the practice squad. There are guys that you are trying to get through to the practice squad and sometimes they are guys that you are trying to get through the process and then re-sign them. "
Gibbs from Redskins.com

What does that mean? Could it mean that sometimes you know that there may not be a roster spot for a guy but you KNOW you want him on your practice squad to continue to allow him to develop? So you 'bury' him by cutting him early in the hopes that teams don't catch them on the waiver wire after the mass exodus of 600 or so names? It could. Will Jesse be someone that applies to? Maybe... not saying that he is but I think SOMEONE that has already been cut is going to be named to the PS and I think that will be who Gibbs to referring to when he says 'get through to the practice squad' and 're-sign them'.

I'm ready to move on from him and this whole debate if you are. The season is about to start and Lumsden's not even here right now so what's the point?

I don't think there's any reason to 'move on' from anything. The roster will be set tomorrow, so will the practice squad... maybe Jesse makes the PS, maybe he doesn't. If he doesn't, then I'll move on to wherever Jesse goes in his particular instance... because I think he has a bright future somewhere. Having met and talked with the kid, I think that he's a good egg and you end up looking at players as more than slabs or fodder when you get to know them a little better. So if I have a PERSONAL interst in seeing him succeed it's out of respect for him as a person, not from the fact that he wore the burgundy and gold for an offseason. Nor does he have to make this team to be 'successful', if he walks away from the experience improved as both a person and a player... I'm sure Jesse would consider it successful.

I know that I'm not going to get as bent out of shape about him not making the team as you seem to be getting about arguing his lack of worth. I know Jesse will be just fine no matter what he does... he's got a good head on his shoulders and a good family.

I hope he's who Gibbs is (perhaps) eluding to, and I hope that he gets a chance to grow as a player within the Redskin organization and get another shot in the future.
My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:27 pm

All I know is that the kid looked hot during training camp and during the scimmage. I'll down a player in a heart beat (2005 Patten, TJ, Arrington) but Im just as quick to raise one up. The kid looked great and theres no debating that. Like others have said, he got injured at the worst moment.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:12 pm

BossHog wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
DesertSkin wrote:The diamond in the rough mentality may be fun, but is not realistic.

That's only half-right. A small but important part of Gibbs' first Super Bowl team (including some, if not most, of the Hogs) were un-drafted players who wandered in off the street. I think it was Joe Jacoby who was nearly cut by Gibbs before Gibbs realized Jake wanted to try out for offensive tackle, not defensive. Scouting's much better today, but 'diamonds in the rough' still emerge occasionally in the NFL. Look at Kurt Warner. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm drawing a blank.

Actually... THAT's only half right.

Jacoby wasn't nearly cut because they had JJ at defensive tackle (what? do you think JJ just went out there and tried to play DT without telling anyone?)...

The story goes more like this... the Redskins signed JJ as an unrestricted free agent when he didn't get drafted... he only got signed BECAUSE they thought he was a defensive tackle... Gibbs assumed this was so because of his immense size (the NFL didn't have any 6'7" 320 pounders at the time)... JJ didn't have the heart to tell them he was an OT... which was smart ebcause they already had a ton of offensive linemen. By the time the Redskins figured out that he was an OT, he'd been signed... was there... and got the chance anyway. Jake played his way on to the team... and the rest, as they say, is Hog history. :up:

That sounds right. Ah, the memory fades with age!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007