This whole preseason "vanilla" issue

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:39 am

The whole point was... Give no one any film to work with. The blocking was all straight up, with no schemes or line calls to adjust to defensive sets or shows.

It will be at least 4 games now before teams can start to get usable film.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:16 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
JPFair wrote:I see the O-Line being one of out strengths, if they stay healthy.

And I agree. But you still don't want your starting QB taking ANY shots in preseason games, so I doubt they consciously let players sack Brunell.

No they didn't, because it was Brunell's responsibility to get rid of the ball before taking the sack.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby yupchagee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:37 pm

JPFair wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
cvillehog wrote:Really? From what I saw, the first team O-Line got much better as the preseason progressed.

In the last game the entire projected o-line played, the line gave up 3 sacks on Brunell, on pretty simple blitz schemes. 3 sacks in 16 drop backs...is not good. It's Houston Texan's type pass blocking.

My feeling on that is that the O-Line were instructed, in no uncertain terms to just go out and play without risking injury. You could see it in their effort, they just weren't blocking them as much as we've seen them before, and what we know they're capable of. Brunell is smart enough to know when to throw the ball away and/or take a sack. It's rare in pre-season that they really blast the QB on a sack anyway, so pummelling Brunell into an injury was not really going to happen. In most cases, when Brunell saw a blitz coming he simply got rid of it in a hurry in a rythym based offense, which protected him from being hit and kept the O-line healthy. That's just my take on it. I don't think for one second that Jansen, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas, and Samuels are going to play like they played in the pre-season. It's just not going to happen. Plus, the Redskins weren't even bothering to pick up the blitzes, and Portis and now Duckett are excellent at picking up blitzes. I see the O-Line being one of out strengths, if they stay healthy.

I don't buy all of this. They don't want the O-line injured, bu they have to be even more concerned with Brunell. I don't think they were instructed to doe toreador blocks. Portis is a good blocker, I'm not so sure about Duckett.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007