Smoot watch

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Site Admin

Smoot watch

Postby BossHog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:24 am

Redskins.com just posted an article saying that Fred was 'questionable' for Sunday.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11991

That's better than 'doubtful' or 'out', but not as good as 'probable' for those not familiar with NFLspeak.

The NFL requires teams to report the injury status of all players and assign them one of the above 4 designations. This means that Smoot will probably be a game-time decision, but that there is still a chance that he could play.

... sure would feel better having Smoot cover Hilliard than Bauman. I like Bauman, but he's nicked too, and I don't think he's quite ready to be an every down player just yet.

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:57 am

I haven't noticed....are our corners still right/left designated or is Champ being moved to the #1 receiver?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:02 pm

... Champ always gets the #1 guy this year. IMO, One of the most marked improvements in COACHING this year.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:11 pm

smoot gets a chance to prove his toughness.(or not) has he missed a start since he became a starter? i can't remember. if he does play, i hope it's because he's ok to play, not just out there in the way.......he dosen't need to be re-injured. i'd rather him sit out a game than miss 2 more coming up.... NE, and philly are up next.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:25 pm

just saw this posted on another board.....

Second Impact Syndrome
A very serious and even fatal brain injury may occur even with a relatively mild hit in contact sports. A rare disorder, Second Impact Syndrome, occurs when an athlete has a relatively minor blow to the head, with a mild concussion, and then within a short time later (usually within one week) receives a second blow to the head. In rare cases, it is possible for rapid brain deterioration and even death to occur. This happens because the brain is still affected from the first injury and the second injury results in rapid swelling and pressure within the skull. This intracranial pressure, if uncontrolled, can lead to death

....... also i've heard that the most swelling occurs 3 days after the concussion occurs...which would be sunday. i'd say smoot will most likley be kept out.
:cry:
THN's resident jerk.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:45 pm

I agree Boss.....good move placing Champ on the #1

I also agree that Smoot should be held out....it's not worth a career ending injury or a lingering one for that matter....we can survive a game against the worthless gnats without him
We'll miss you, Joe.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:07 pm

It must be my Canadian attitude... hockey players play 'concussed' all the time. We're cement heads.

I think if Smoot was seriously concussed that he'd be tagged as doubtful rather than questionable. Questionable is SUPPOSED to mean that there is a 50-50 chance that the player will play, and the NFL is real particular about teams reporting injuries truthfully.

I don't want Fred to play if there are any possible long-term effects either, but I definitely feel better about the defense with him in there.

I hope Freddie's noodle hs a restful couple of days.

HTTR

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:43 pm

Freddie claims it was "lights out in his head" and then lights out at his house via Isabel" jokingly in the locker room....being the loudest as usual....sounds like he's fine to me......I suspect he'll start.
We'll miss you, Joe.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:22 pm

after todays news, maybe he should play.....just not every down, some smoot is better than no smoot. :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

piglet

Postby Welby24 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:24 am

I feel by reading everything yesterday.....Smoot will go.....

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006