Vincent

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
|
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Greenville, NC

Vincent

Postby sch1977 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:39 am

Did Troy get any PT yesterday? I didn't see him, but I could have missed it.
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

Diesel
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Dover DE

Postby DEHog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:47 am

Yes he played safety
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:17 am

This dude has been here for all of 5 minutes and is already stealing time from AA. And we made him the highest paid safety in the NFL. :lol:

No Redskin fan can ever trash talk Roy Williams and his sucky coverage skills ever again.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:This dude has been here for all of 5 minutes and is already stealing time from AA. And we made him the highest paid safety in the NFL. :lol:

No Redskin fan can ever trash talk Roy Williams and his sucky coverage skills ever again.


I can and I will on Nov. 5 to the cowpies fans.

But if they say something about Archuleta I'll probably agree with them. :lol:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin
Posts: 9282
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:34 am
Location: London, Ontario

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:49 am

I'm not defending Adam archuletta, he hasn't done enough to warrant doing so.

But are any of you EVER going to take into account that he is a strong safety that for some unexplicable reason is being used almost EXCLUSIVELY like a free safety?

I mean bag on the guy all you like, but to me it just comes off as a little empty when some-to-most of the problem is HOW he's being used.

I don't hear anyone talking crap about Sean Taylor. I said it last week and I'll say it again... Sean Taylor is the free safety... when your secondary is one of the most porous in football, not looking at the lack of effectiveness of the free safety is just irresponsible IMO.

Arch is being asked to do what he doesn't do well... we're accentuating his shortcomings rather than utilizing his assets.

Please don't misunderstand... that doesn't mean I think he can cover worth a lick... but he never could... that isn't what his role SHOULD be either.

Losing Prioleau apparently meant continuing to use Arch like we would have used Prioleau, and IMO, that's just a bad coaching judgement. And if prioleau hadn't been injured, i don't think there's any way you'd have seen Arch be put in so many positions to fail.

Arch may not have 'done much', but Gregg Williams has done even less with him.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

and Jackson
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:37 am
Location: Charles Town, WV

Postby JansenFan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:01 am

As far as Vincent, I though his addition was key to the performance of the defense in the first half. He is exactlly what was needed to start to shore up the deficiencies in the secondary. With a little more playing time, we could see a little improvement in our defensive back field.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:20 am

But if we knew AA couldn't cover when he got here why make him the leagues highest paid safety? If he only brings one dimension to this team does that warrant such a high price tag?

Cleary this issue wouldn't be so big if AA was out for the season?

Pierson is the better safety and is being paid a lot less and when he asks for a bigger contract the Skins will baulk and send him away disgruntled also.

Vincent having been here 4 weeks has a better grasp of the secondary.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Site Admin
Posts: 9282
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:34 am
Location: London, Ontario

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:52 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:But if we knew AA couldn't cover when he got here why make him the leagues highest paid safety? If he only brings one dimension to this team does that warrant such a high price tag?

Cleary this issue wouldn't be so big if AA was out for the season?

Pierson is the better safety and is being paid a lot less and when he asks for a bigger contract the Skins will baulk and send him away disgruntled also.

Vincent having been here 4 weeks has a better grasp of the secondary.


Why does Vincent have a better grasp of the secondary? Couldn't it just be that he's a better player? He also came from Buffalo where they use a very similar defense anyway.

I don't care if the media TELL you that Archuletta is the highest paid safety in the league... he isn't... he's not even the highest paid safety on our team right now. If you prefer to go with what the media tell you, that's your prerogative; but they don't understand the salary cap at all and aren't usually qualified to comment on it... but if you want to take their word, go right ahead. They can't figure out that only guaranteed money means anything... and they're not going to actually figure out what a player will ACTUALLY see as opposed to what they could POSSIBLY see.

AA isn't playing to what he's paid for sure... but he isn't being paid like the media pundits would have you believe. If I had the time, I'd break down a few safety's contracts for you to see what I'm talking about. if I can find some time this week, I'll try and put something together to dispel this myth. AA isn't earning his paycheque right now, but that paycheque ISN'T the biggest safety ticket in the league.

I just don't understand why it is that the strong safety is being pounded for not covering the deep ball when the free safety is nowhere to be found.

Like i said... I'm not defending Archuletta's ability to cover a pass... I'm asking why he's being asked to continually do what he isn't good at? That isn't his fault. He's being put in a position to fail and nothing else... he was brought here to be a blitzing strong safety that had some presence in the box... we have him sitting back in coverage. We cheat Sean Taylor to the line more than AA and has ST ever actually got to a quarterback?

He hasn't been getting to any receivers lately either. :shock:

I think the world of Sean Taylor too, he's just not playing very well right now... like a lot of players. He's still making some big hits, but he isn't making them on receivers.

If you want to talk about how much AA sucks in coverage, that's fine with me... he does, but I just don't understand how the FREE safety gets a pass on the conversation... and right now, he can't cover anyone either. And I don't understand how you can not assess blame to the defensive co-ordinator that continues to put the guy in a position that an armchair QB knows not to put him.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:58 am

Settle down Chris
Chris Luva Luva wrote:But if we knew AA couldn't cover when he got here why make him the leagues highest paid safety? If he only brings one dimension to this team does that warrant such a high price tag?

Don't beleive the hype 2 safteies signed bigger contracts after AA signed his, AA won't play out the contract so he won't even get half of it.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Cleary this issue wouldn't be so big if AA was out for the season?

It would be a bgger issue with a high priced DB out for the year and getting paid.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Pierson is the better safety and is being paid a lot less and when he asks for a bigger contract the Skins will baulk and send him away disgruntled also.
PP got hurt and none of this would be a issue he would be playing both CB and S and the scheme would be so much different

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Vincent having been here 4 weeks has a better grasp of the secondary.

Don't get ahead of yourself.... he's been here a week
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:28 am

You're right I dont understand the CAP I take you guys word that he isn't paid as much as we may think.

All I can say is that its frustrating. There so much foolishness going on with this team that its hard to pin point one thing. I guess its just a collective melt down.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

-------
Posts: 2947
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Lanham, MD

Postby RedskinsFreak » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 am

BossHog wrote:I'm not defending Adam archuletta, he hasn't done enough to warrant doing so.

But are any of you EVER going to take into account that he is a strong safety that for some unexplicable reason is being used almost EXCLUSIVELY like a free safety?

I mean bag on the guy all you like, but to me it just comes off as a little empty when some-to-most of the problem is HOW he's being used.

I don't hear anyone talking crap about Sean Taylor. I said it last week and I'll say it again... Sean Taylor is the free safety... when your secondary is one of the most porous in football, not looking at the lack of effectiveness of the free safety is just irresponsible IMO.

Arch is being asked to do what he doesn't do well... we're accentuating his shortcomings rather than utilizing his assets.

Not saying they're at the same level but, basically, AA and Taylor are the same player. They bring the same skill set to football -- good in run support and will knock the snot out of you (sometimes at the cost of making a good tackle).

But a FS needs to be a significantly different type player than the SS.. Could that fact have been somehow overlooked in the "Ooh, pretty player. I want one!" department?

The more things change .....
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: DC

Postby DCGloryYears828791 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:31 am

RedskinsFreak wrote:
BossHog wrote:I'm not defending Adam archuletta, he hasn't done enough to warrant doing so.

But are any of you EVER going to take into account that he is a strong safety that for some unexplicable reason is being used almost EXCLUSIVELY like a free safety?

I mean bag on the guy all you like, but to me it just comes off as a little empty when some-to-most of the problem is HOW he's being used.

I don't hear anyone talking crap about Sean Taylor. I said it last week and I'll say it again... Sean Taylor is the free safety... when your secondary is one of the most porous in football, not looking at the lack of effectiveness of the free safety is just irresponsible IMO.

Arch is being asked to do what he doesn't do well... we're accentuating his shortcomings rather than utilizing his assets.

Not saying they're at the same level but, basically, AA and Taylor are the same player. They bring the same skill set to football -- good in run support and will knock the snot out of you (sometimes at the cost of making a good tackle).

But a FS needs to be a significantly different type player than the SS.. Could that fact have been somehow overlooked in the "Ooh, pretty player. I want one!" department?

The more things change .....


=; DId you just compare Sean Taylor to Adam Archuleta? You have got to be kidding. To say that Taylor is only good in run support is just not accurate. Taylor seems to be out of place in the secondary so often because he is being asked to make up for the defficency of our secondary, which is huge. But in no way whatsoever, does the skill set of Sean Taylor and Archuleta even come close to each other.
Dec. 31, 1972
NFC Championship Game at RFK Stadium
W, 26-3
"Just remember this. Forty men together can't lose." George Allen

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:35 am

Taylor has covered Randy Moss step for step as a Viking and Raider he is incredible. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Pushing Paper
Online
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Taylor has covered Randy Moss step for step as a Viking and Raider he is incredible. :lol:


But he also got burnt by Burress in single coverage a few times last week. Let's be honest, his play isn't as good this year as it has been. He's kind of lavartackling; huge hits, but he's missing tackles as well. His play has been more than a little disappointing this year.

And BH is absolutely right. AA is being exposed in coverage, but we all knew coming into the season that's not what he's good at. He's essentially a 4th linebacker.

And please, PLEASE put to rest that highest-paid safety stuff. He was at the time by pure contract terms, but Roy Williams has since signed a megacontract that dwarfed AAs. And I think you'll see Sean Taylor sign a bigger contract; since the salary cap rose so dramatically this year, comparing 2006 contracts to prior contracts is almost apples and oranges.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1510
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:31 pm

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 pm


And BH is absolutely right. AA is being exposed in coverage, but we all knew coming into the season that's not what he's good at. He's essentially a 4th linebacker.


So what's your point?? Sean Taylor got burned by Burress. That's one game. In college he single handedly covered Larry Fitzgerald when Miami played Pitt. He has matched up twice against Moss and gotten the better of the matchup both times. AA gets beat every single week. AA isn't even in the same league as Taylor.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006