What is Carlos Roger's Nickname?

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
piggie

Postby wbbradb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:48 am

Justice Hog wrote:Rogers' coverage abilities are lacking, to be sure...

Aren't those important for a cornerback?

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:22 am

we definetly should have keep Smoot.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:40 am

John Manfreda wrote:we definetly should have keep Smoot.
Smoot? Are you serious? There is very little difference between Smoot and Rogers.

As for a fan standing by the players lot heckling a player, talk about class. :roll:

A few years ago, I'd have argued with anyone that the Redskins fans were the best. Now I think we, as a group, are a bunch of whining punks who somehow feel entitled to something. My 5 year old whines less than some of the Redskin fans around here (by here, I mean Redskins nation, not JUST thn).
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 am

Not to get overly hippy on anyone but there seems to be a pervasive negativity that is plaguing this fan base. I'm not suggesting people maintain a sunshine-and-lollipops attitude but the "everything the team does sucks" philosophy is depressing and unhelpful, if everything the franchise does pains you that much, find another team
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:57 am

Smoot? Are you serious? There is very little difference between Smoot and Rogers.

Smoot wanted a lot of money and I'm not saying that we should've kept him, but he is a much better corner than Rogers. Smoot is a legitimate #2 corner and Rogers isn't. Smoot played hard, played hurt, and played very well when he was here. Rogers, on the other hand, couldn't catch a pick to save his life and dances around after getting beat but the receivers drops the ball. Smoot was faster, never gave up on a play (unlike Rogers....see Galloway's td grab and how Rogers slowed down after Galloway caught the ball), and had much better technique. Smoot also didn't consistantly have to play 10 yards off of receivers for fear of getting beat. And I don't remember Smoot making stupid excuses for getting beat like "Galloway can't be covered one on one," like Rogers did yesterday.
"Archuletta on the sidelines is a plus for Redskins fans" - Brian Mitchell

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Smoot also played like crap in his second season.

My 2 cents
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:I am not the greatest Carlos Rogers fan but, come on, should he not have gotten help froma a -safety-??? Any -safety-. Did you see any of our safeties nearby? Neither did I.

He was left alone to cover their #1 WR one-on-one. Should the rush not have pressured Gradkowsky to throw quicker too?

I am not apologising for C Rogers. He has not met the expectatons we had about him when we drafted him. But I am not ready to throw the guy to the dogs. He was left alone in an island and got burned. He was asked to prevent the big plays and he is giving -way- too much cushion to their recevers. just I do not feel that he should be singled out like this though even if -somebody- must be the target of our weekly rage and frustrations. :cry:

I'm with RiC on this. Rogers is only in his second year, and has had to deal with a lot of turnover/disruption in the secondary around him. It's too early to call him a bust. He may be slumping now, but some of the blame also has to go to the D-line; the pass rush is not what it needs to be.

piggie

Postby nuskins » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:12 pm

Carlos had help last year, this year he seems to be on an island most of the time. He will get better and think he deserves our support. Sean Taylor has been out of place the entire season which forces Carlos into situations he shouldn't be in. Ryan Clark's departure has had deep ramifications on this defensive secondary IMO.

Carlos can hit, he has proven that already and for anyone to say otherwise hasn't been watching too many games.

His coverage needs to improve and I think it will, but he has been asked to do alot this year for being a 2nd year corner.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm

His coverage needs to improve and I think it will, but he has been asked to do alot this year for being a 2nd year corner.

He isn't being asked to do anymore than Pac Man or Antrel Rolle are asked to do.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:12 pm

SkinzCanes wrote:

He isn't being asked to do anymore than Pac Man or Antrel Rolle are asked to do.
Well, Pac Man was asked not to play at all for a bit so that isn't enirely true
RIP Sean Taylor

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:14 pm

It sucks that he is getting beat but these are lessons he needs to learn. If this defense is to reclaim any resemblance of its former self, Carlos is going to have to be on an island. He seems to have the skillset, it seems like more of a fundamental/head thing.

Mind you, we have pass rush issues and safety issues. That's no way for a young DB to flourish. DB is probally the hardest position to play on the defense and they aren't getting any help. That position is heavily dependant on others.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:26 pm

It sucks that he is getting beat but these are lessons he needs to learn. If this defense is to reclaim any resemblance of its former self, Carlos is going to have to be on an island. He seems to have the skillset, it seems like more of a fundamental/head thing.

Mind you, we have pass rush issues and safety issues. That's no way for a young DB to flourish. DB is probally the hardest position to play on the defense and they aren't getting any help. That position is heavily dependant on others.

I'm not so sure that the skillset is there. Rogers seriosuly lacks in the speed department and his technique is very flawed. If he looked like he was playing hard out there and taking things seriosuly then I would probably cut him some slack. But frankly I'm sick and tired of watching him celebrate after he gets beaten but the receiver drops the ball. On Tampa's first td yesterday he started celebrating while the deflected pass was still up in the air. Maybe if he had stayed with the play instead of getting ready to celebrate he could've stopped Becht from catching that td. On Galloway's td catch Rogers slowed up as soon as Galloway caught that pass. And on postgame he said that "Galloway can't be covered one on one." Sorry but that's not what I expect to hear from a starting cornerback.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:35 pm

BURNT

####

Postby JPM36 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Carlos has been really, really bad this season but he's still only 25 years old and he's playing for a defense that has just struggled in general all year.

I think it's too early to call him a bust.

I do have serious questions about his hands though. I don't know if I've ever seen a secondary player with such poor hands.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm puzzled as to why we need to single out anybody for ridicule? It's as if the benching of Brunell has left some people with the need to find another scapegoat for a season going down the drain.

This Redskins team is playing abysmal football, and no one player can turn that around. It's too easy to pick out the qb or a corner, because they're out there on their own, and every mistake is obvious.

I'm as miserable about this season as anybody else, but I'll resist the temptation to pile onto any one player, if you don't mind.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006