Postgame Jason Campbell discussion.

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
piggie

Postby nuskins » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 am

Great job by Campbell for his start in the NFL. Even better considering that was his first action of any regular season game. His arm is looks to be as strong as any in the game, he throws lasers. Very good composure, felt bad he didn't get the win as I think he should have. The running game was pathetic, but the run defense is worse.

We need serious help on the line, both offense and defense.

I pray that we address this in the offseason. Please no more "splashy" FA signings, let's get some big mean hogs in here to shore up both lines!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:05 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:Unfortunately, his play did not shine as much as it should have if we had had a running game. The lanes are not being opened by the line or they are out of sync with the RB. I did not like Betts considering that this is as good a game that we will get from him. He is good, definitely not great.

I would have wanted more of a power running game with Duckett and Sellers. I hope Joe goes that way in the future. I suspect he might based on a few key words during his post game interview.

There definitely needs to be a swap at RB. I said last week that TJ is the better back. We need to trim the fat this offseason and we need to cut the dead weight.

Betts can leave this offseason imo. If CP goes down, our running game is shot. Betts can keep the ball rolling but he isn't good enough to get it started. He is a great complimentary back but not a featured back. IMO a CP/TJ duo is better than a CP/Betts imo. Betts is not a big back, he is bigger than CP but doesnt seem to run with anymore power. TJ adds what Betts brings to the table and more except maybe receivcing passes in the backfield.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Betts can keep the ball rolling but he isn't good enough to get it started. He is a great complimentary back but not a featured back. IMO a CP/TJ duo is better than a CP/Betts imo. Betts is not a big back, he is bigger than CP but doesnt seem to run with anymore power. TJ adds what Betts brings to the table and more except maybe receivcing passes in the backfield.

I think Betts was better suited for Gibbs'offense last year, and, should the SKins turn back to "Redskins Football", as Gibbs STRONGLY suggested in his presser, then Betts might resurge down the stretch.

He's not good at the outside runs, but he seems to run better between the tackles.
Back and better than ever!

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:31 pm

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Betts can keep the ball rolling but he isn't good enough to get it started. He is a great complimentary back but not a featured back. IMO a CP/TJ duo is better than a CP/Betts imo. Betts is not a big back, he is bigger than CP but doesnt seem to run with anymore power. TJ adds what Betts brings to the table and more except maybe receivcing passes in the backfield.

I think Betts was better suited for Gibbs'offense last year, and, should the SKins turn back to "Redskins Football", as Gibbs STRONGLY suggested in his presser, then Betts might resurge down the stretch.

He's not good at the outside runs, but he seems to run better between the tackles.

and TJ isn't good between the tackles? the gigantic, bruising back with deceptive acceleration? i'm sorry, i love betts, i've been a big betts supporter. but i have to agree with CLL. i want to see TJ start this week and see if he seems to make a difference. he just seems to be on a slightly different level than betts. CLL said it perfectly- betts is a great #2 but unfortunately i don't think i buy him as a #1. i'm sure we'll only keep one or the other, so we should give them each a nice audition. it would seem to me to make sense to keep the big bruising back along with portis, so you have one of each.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:36 pm

die cowboys die wrote:and TJ isn't good between the tackles? the gigantic, bruising back with deceptive acceleration?

That's not what I meant. I meant, Betts (with his skillset -- when called upon to fill in for Clinton) is more suited for Gibbs' style than Saunders'.

As for TJ, he looks like an uncaged beast between the tackles.

The bottom line is: we need to pound the ball more to set up the finesse passing Saunders wants to institute.[/quote]
Back and better than ever!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Campbell did as much as anybody could realistically hope for - in fact, he probably did more than that.

Well played Jason Campbell. It's a terrific start: let's see how he develops over the coming weeks, and then prepare ourselves for another offseason of extravagant predictions.

He obviously has all the physical tools, and some of the intangibles too. I'm just trying not to get too excited right now. Let's just hope that it will be another ten years before we realise just how good he is/was (by that, I mean that I hope he's here for ten years, and we'll have plenty of good times to look back on and judge him by).
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby nnskinsfan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm

While I've been anxious to see what TJ can do, it kind of seems like a moot point. I doubt we'll be able to keep him even if we wanted to. For one, he wants to be the #1 back and two, after the way things have played out this season, I can't see him wanting to stay anyway. I think the same will happen with Betts. He'll try to go somewhere where he'll be the featured back.

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:43 pm

i liked how he threw down the field 90% of the time, he only dumped it off like once or twice and thats because of the good coverage. He is our franchise guy IMO

man i wish i could show you guys his career stats in my Madden 06 game, i threw for like 5,000 yards for 7 consecutive seasons. i broke almost every record for passing. but enough about me....i sound like a nerd :oops:
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:43 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01041.html

To Analyze Campbell, 'Jaws' Goes Straight to Video
Former Quarterback Mostly Likes What He Sees After Film Session

By Howard Bryant
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 24, 2006; Page E01

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- In the inner sanctum of NFL Films, former all-pro quarterback Ron Jaworski is performing video surgery on Jason Campbell, an intense battery of cuts, freeze-frames and rewinds designed to meticulously dissect the quarterback who now is the Washington Redskins' most important player.

Jaworski sits in front of a large television holding a laser pointer, reviewing the same game film used by all 32 NFL teams. For the next two hours, Jaworski, an analyst for ESPN and its "State Farm NFL Matchup," and NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell, nephew of legendary broadcaster Howard Cosell, will deconstruct all 34 of Campbell's passes from Sunday's 20-17 loss to Tampa Bay, focusing on five key sequences. The session provides a rare glimpse into top-level evaluation and film study that is as illuminating for its exposure of the Redskins' flaws as a team as it is for its study of Campbell.

First and 10, Washington 26 13:21, First Quarter

Ron Jaworski is performing video surgery on Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell and likes what he sees.

On the Redskins' first play from scrimmage, Campbell fakes to Ladell Betts and throws 53 yards in the air to a streaking Brandon Lloyd; the ball drops through his hands. Jaworski shakes his head. On the first play of the game, Lloyd has left a big gain on the table, but Jaworski likes Campbell's poise.

"The good thing he does here is that he looks down the middle of the field and keeps the safety honest," Jaworski says. "A lot of young guys, if they're throwing the ball there, when the ball is snapped, they stare at him. . . . The term is, 'If the receiver beats the corner, the quarterback's got to beat the safety,' and he did that by keeping him in the center of the field."

The play is perfect, Jaworski says, but Lloyd has blown it.

First and 10, Washington 46 3:42, First Quarter

Play-action. Campbell throws to Betts for 14 yards. Checking down to a running back is the habit for which his predecessor, Mark Brunell, was vilified. But Jaworski loves it.

"Exact read, and a good, accurate throw. When I'm talking about quarterbacks, I'm not talking about a guy trying to go 8 for 8," Jaworski says. "I'm talking about what it's going to take to play at a championship level consistently. He makes this throw, and people say, 'Oh, nice throw.'

"To me, this is a great throw. He puts the ball on the outside hip, allows the back to turn up the field and get extra yards. I've seen this with quarterbacks and the ball is behind him. They have to stop. What should be a 10-yard gain becomes a one-yard gain because of the accuracy of the throw."

The coaches have discussed tweaking Campbell's throwing motion. Mechanically, quarterbacks are taught to begin their throwing motion at mid-chest; a big windup that starts under the belt is a red flag. Jaworski notices Campbell throwing consistently at about his belt or hip, which could cost his release critical milliseconds.

"I think he drops it a hair low here, but nothing I'd be overly concerned with," he says. "I played with Randall Cunningham for a few years, and Randall had a real big arc. . . . If you want to look at an elongated delivery, look at [Jacksonville's] Byron Leftwich. . . . This is not a major problem."

Cosell adds, "It's not like he drops it to his knees, like Leftwich."

First and 10, Tampa Bay 40 3:12, First Quarter

Trailing 3-0, associate head coach-offense Al Saunders goes for the home run

"They're going to try for the big play here," Jaworski says. "This is a big-play design. Two-receiver route, eight blocking, and they're going to have it, too."

Campbell uses a play-action fake to Betts. Wide receiver James Thrash runs a square-out to the left, but tight end Chris Cooley is open deep in the right seam. Safety Jermaine Phillips blitzes. Center Casey Rabach slides the wrong way, allowing Phillips a clean shot, but Campbell spins away from the sack and hits Thrash for 15 yards and a first down.

For Jaworski, this is the play of the game. He loves Saunders's game plan, but says the pass protection, particularly tackles Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, is preventing touchdown opportunities. Jansen, Jaworski says, is "getting pushed backwards more than I've ever seen him," while Cosell considers Samuels "a nice player, but not an anchor over there."

"You've seen two breakdowns in protection that have cost them," says Jaworski, the red laser zeroed on Rabach. "But that's a big-time play. That's a hell of play. You've got the blitz coming in clean, unblocked, off play-action. He turns back. That's really good. You see the arm strength. With all due respect to Mark, he doesn't make this play."

Third and Seven, Tampa Bay 22 1:44, First Quarter

The cornerbacks cut off the inside routes. The linebackers creep toward the line. Ronde Barber practically is standing over the nose of the ball. The look is completely different.

Tampa is in an all-out blitz, the first of the game.

"First zero coverage, total blitz. Now they're going to test him," Jaworski says of Campbell. "They're bringing everybody."

Slot receiver Antwaan Randle El sees it and looks at Campbell. He's the hot read. But Campbell freezes on the snap, drifting back five steps. It's over. Barber spins past Betts and gets the first hit. Defensive end Greg Spires finishes him off for the sack.

A yard off the line, Randle El is waiting for the football.

"That one is on the quarterback. The ball has to come out or he's going to get killed. On the third step, that ball has got to be out of his hand," Jaworski says. "It's not going to be pretty. Whatever you have do, jump in the air, but get him the football. And I'll tell you what, [Randle El] is one-on-one with Juran Bolden. I'll take him one-on-one in space any day. There's a good chance he could wheel back outside and score, and there goes your big-play opportunity. I think he panicked there."

The Redskins settle for a field goal.

First and 10, Tampa Bay 41 12:10, Third Quarter

A seemingly innocuous play. Campbell throws incomplete to Cooley at the 20. But the laser pointer is focused on Jansen, guard Randy Thomas and fullback Mike Sellers, and Jaworski shows how the Redskins have blown another opportunity for Campbell.

In the far slot, Randle El runs a deep post across the field, 10 yards past Cooley. But the safety in coverage, Phillips, follows Cooley underneath, leaving Randle El wide open in the seam at the 10-yard line.

But at the line of scrimmage, Sellers, Jansen and Thomas allow two Tampa Bay defenders -- Spires and Jon Bradley -- to beat them and rush Campbell.

"They have the guard, the tackle and the fullback, three guys on two defenders. How they handle it, I don't know, but this leakage shouldn't happen," Jaworski says. "There's your touchdown. . . . They beat the defense. The problem is that the defense beats the protection."

The pass floats out of bounds. Randle El is in the seam at the 5-yard line, shaking his head. He knows he had a touchdown.

"This is the kind of stuff that always seems to happen to teams that are having bad years. This is a great designed play, really set up beautifully," Cosell says. "They broke down the safety they were trying to break down, and the protection prevents the play from being executed. And then someone will say, 'Bad play-calling.' That's a touchdown."

The game progresses and Jaworski sees more flaws with the Redskins than with Campbell.

"He has NFL ability," Cosell says. "There is no doubt about that."

There are some concerns. Campbell waits for his receivers to finish their routes before throwing the ball -- "He can't be out of his route and have the ball still be in the quarterback's hands," Jaworski said -- and he seems less comfortable in three-step drops than in five-step drops.

The surgery is over, but the operation is a success.

"I'd say he's been solid. The game plan was well designed and played to protect him. His receivers need to stand up and help the young guy. Make some plays for him," Jaworski said.

"I thought it was the right time. I really like Mark, and for the most part thought he played pretty well, maybe a little inconsistent. But you have to look ahead. You have to find out if he can play. Is he your future or not?"

I liked what I saw too. Go Jason!

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Jason Campbell is gaining notice after two solid games to start his career.

When the quarterback class of 2004 hit the NFL field, it made quite an impression. Ben Roethlisberger has already been part of a winning Super Bowl. Eli Manning has already won a division title. Phillip Rivers is the hottest young QB in the league right now. All three have another thing in common besides being drafted in the first round of the same draft. They each threw a touchdown pass in their first career -- Roethlisberger and Rivers both threw another in their second starts. Right away people got excited about what they saw from these young signal callers. Well, what about another young quarterback who threw twice as many touchdowns in his first two career starts? I Don't hear too much enthusiasm for a guy with four TD passes in his first two starts. But that's exactly what Jason Campbell has done for the Redskins. Time to keep an eye on this emerging star.

:hmm: Emerging star? :-k

:up: Damn right! :wink:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9836402

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
Jason Campbell is gaining notice after two solid games to start his career.

When the quarterback class of 2004 hit the NFL field, it made quite an impression. Ben Roethlisberger has already been part of a winning Super Bowl. Eli Manning has already won a division title. Phillip Rivers is the hottest young QB in the league right now. All three have another thing in common besides being drafted in the first round of the same draft. They each threw a touchdown pass in their first career -- Roethlisberger and Rivers both threw another in their second starts. Right away people got excited about what they saw from these young signal callers. Well, what about another young quarterback who threw twice as many touchdowns in his first two career starts? I Don't hear too much enthusiasm for a guy with four TD passes in his first two starts. But that's exactly what Jason Campbell has done for the Redskins. Time to keep an eye on this emerging star.

:hmm: Emerging star? :-k

:up: Damn right! :wink:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9836402

wow! someone gave a skins QB respect? :lol: finally...the reason nobody is paying attention to Campbell like Roethlesburger is cuz he was winning games for Pit, and the only reason they were paying attention to Eliza was cuz they wanted to see Payton's little bro...
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006