Life Does Go On

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Life Does Go On

Postby doeslammer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:58 pm

As I found out this morning, when I woke up that the world didn't come to a end just because we lost yesterday, even though, threw the 15+ beers I drank yesterday, I convinced myself that we are heading down the same road we do every year since 1991. This morning threw my blood shot eyes trying to get ready for work @ 6:00am, I came up with a thought on what to do with all those penalties we get. With all the money Dan has why don't we hire a ref to watch over are practices and start throwing flags when they don't count, instead of when they do count, and costing us the game, I don't know if you are aloud to do that, but doesn't that make sense, we can find out who is making the stupid mistakes, such as jumping off sides, motion, pass interference and start docking them pay, until we correct the problems. We can and better correct the stupid, and I mean stupid personal fouls like trotter got and the late hits from the first game. We can and I feel will be a dominant force in the NFC East, we almost beat the Giants and played one of are worst games. And as far as the Eagles goes they are heading down the wrong road, we can win this division, I do actually believe this and not just stating it because I bleed burgundy and gold. Any thoughts on hiring a ref, let me know if that was a stupid thought or maybe it is what we need, I know SOS needs to start doing something with these penalties I just thought this might be a good suggestion.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:12 pm

had the same thought here doeslammer....couldn't hurt

SOS had better try something
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:20 pm

As long as they do full field windsprints too - the whole team - say 5 for each penalty. One person screws up they all suffer, in practice, in the game - doesn't matter. Fine em for practice and game penalties too
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:27 pm

One more thing I was thinking after reading your post skinsfaninroanke, doct them in pay in practice and then double it in the game, if they don't learn in practice and take it serious, are they going to be ready to take it serious in the game, I not saying making it thousands of dollars, but making it something worth while, to where they won't want to screw up. !!! Because we all now they can't afford to give up any money.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:38 pm

One more thing I was thinking after reading your post skinsfaninroanke, doct them in pay in practice and then double it in the game, if they don't learn in practice and take it serious, are they going to be ready to take it serious in the game, I not saying making it thousands of dollars, but making it something worth while, to where they won't want to screw up. !!! Because we all now they can't afford to give up any money.

way we're playin, that will even create some cap room ROTFALMAO
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:42 pm

LOL - let the whiners quit - they are the ones who aren't willing to submit to discipline. That is what scared me about life under Marty.

Boo hoo - I don't want a curfew. Boo hoo - I don't want rules.

You know - you make a lot of money to PLAY, so play it RIGHT and SHUT UP. I would kill to have the level of talent it took to play at that level and get paid to follow the rules. Sheesh.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:08 pm

Great point Hailskins666, we would be able to resign some of the guys after next week, hopefully the Dan is reading these posts and looks into it. !!!!

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:48 pm

What they need to do is their JOBS and don't make excuses.

Sorry don't cut it anymore!

I used to hate heard N. Turner after every pitiful loss say how they needed to get better and this and that and they never did.

Put up or shup up.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:59 pm

Yep - if anyone whines about being fined for penalities - offer to institute a fine for whiners, then ask if their diapers need changing. These are men, and well paid men. This is their job, which fortunately for them, is fun for a good part of the time.

It is work, hard, dangerous, sweaty work. In the real world a penalty for not following rules might be getting your hand caught in a piece of machinery because you wore a bracelet you weren't supposed to be wearing.

They should just THINK. If they don't want to they can get out of the NFL and go dig ditches or something and see how much they like it.
Rich in Roanoke

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:33 pm

If fines don't work, I say the coaches start giving the players some salt-peter (sp?) {or something like that} so they can focus on playing football ONLY instead of other things....until we can stop those penalties.

I bet that'll fix 'em! :thump:
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:11 pm

Fran - shouldn't the icon for adding saltpeter to the food be: :lowblow: ???

Just thought I would ask ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:30 am

What they need to do is settle down.

All of the penalties come from being over-hyper. While being pumped is not a bad thing, you have to play with controlled aggression.

As i said in another thread, I think a lot of it comes from not really having that 'winning mentality' yet. We get all excited when we play good, instead of getting p*ssed when we play bad.

I think it'll come as this team starts to realize it's potential. If having fines helps a little in the mean time, then I'm all for it.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:41 am

It could be the winning mentality thing. But what worries me is Spurrier teams in the past got lots of penalties too. This is something he has never focussed on because in college his talent level was such he could overcome this. Its like we've found this year's coach "growth" experience. Spurrier clearly knows he's to blame and that if he was doing something different this wouldn't be happening. Case in point - Parcells teams in the past and in the free agency era just don't have penalties. They aren't tolerated. Parcells does something to eliminate them as do lots of other coaches.

In training camp the skins were constantly jumping offsides and holding - I pointed this out in my reports as others did. I think there is something to the adage that you play like you practice. Bringing the officials in for one week was nice, but really, I think they need to hire a full time retired official or two.

Yes the players have to take personal responsibility, but this one is on coach spurrier just as much. I listened to him last night on sportstalk980 (every monday at 6:00) and he sounded like he was at his wits end about this - he doesn't know what to do, but he made it clear that the players are an extension of the coaching staff. He also said that while benching was an option, he didn't think he had enough players to do this. The worst thing from his perspective was that it was the team leaders who were most guilty for these things.

I do believe that ultimate its the coaches actions which lead a team to having more or less penalties. I think either Spurrier has to learn some new tricks, his assistants do, or he needs to change some horses (coaches). Maybe all three. Then again, maybe his approach of saying "Its their responsibility as professionals" will work - maybe thats the Spurrier way - we will see.

Hog

Postby newshog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:54 pm

In today's Richmond Times-Dispatch, Paul Woody points out that it's hard to fine pro players for penalties:

Even Spurrier's threat to assess heavy fines against players who continue to make crucial mistakes is no simple matter.

According to the NFLPA, the players' union, Spurrier can assess fines only if the violation is on a list he gave the players at the beginning of the preseason.

Obviously he's gotta figure something out--I prefer the players take it upon themselves, but if it's gotta be the coaches then maybe benching a guy for a couple of series.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football