reviewing calls?

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
---

reviewing calls?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Im listening to Gibbs press conference and he stated that they have to wait for replays and it takes too long and they have to throw the flag on a hunch. Is this waiting period due to the old technology at Fed-Ex? I remebered hearing that replays for us fans are so bad because they have to rewind the VHS tape. :lol: Are the coaches suffering from a lack of digital media also?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Re: reviewing calls?

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Im listening to Gibbs press conference and he stated that they have to wait for replays and it takes too long and they have to throw the flag on a hunch. Is this waiting period due to the old technology at Fed-Ex? I remebered hearing that replays for us fans are so bad because they have to rewind the VHS tape. :lol: Are the coaches suffering from a lack of digital media also?

See, I just don't understand this. First, a DVR could fix those tape problems. But even so, I rarely need to see a replay to know if a call was bad or not. Very often I catch the action live. That was obviously a catch by Steve Smith. Hell, sand flew up from the turf where each of his feet hit. He was clearly in bounds. Someone should have at least been able to say no to the challenge. I know they had hired a replay guy two years back, but he had to be watching the game live, and then looking at the replay on close calls. The replay guy should be in a booth watching TV only, preferably one with a DVR attached.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Im listening to Gibbs press conference and he stated that they have to wait for replays and it takes too long and they have to throw the flag on a hunch. Is this waiting period due to the old technology at Fed-Ex? I remebered hearing that replays for us fans are so bad because they have to rewind the VHS tape. Laughing Are the coaches suffering from a lack of digital media also?

That's an interesting point. On tv they showed the replay 2 or 3 times before Gibbs threw the flag so I don't see how they didn't have enough time to properly review the play before deciding whether or not to challenge.
"Archuletta on the sidelines is a plus for Redskins fans" - Brian Mitchell

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:07 pm

I've heard that the coaches who sit upstairs, who are responsible for determining whether their team should challenge a play or not, can only rely on the replays that are shown on TV by the network. Not sure if this is the only resource they have, but it's what I've heard.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:08 pm

I seem to remember that Gibbs got rid of the replay guy because he made so many bad calls.

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:49 pm

It was a good call to review it. Its one of those call where if you have any doubt you miht as well throw the flag. It looked like the ball was moving around in there....even though he controlled it. With the trange rules around catches and control it was worth giving it a shot.

Chad

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I remebered hearing that replays for us fans are so bad because they have to rewind the VHS tape. :lol:

Actually, I think it's an 8-track.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:56 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:I've heard that the coaches who sit upstairs, who are responsible for determining whether their team should challenge a play or not, can only rely on the replays that are shown on TV by the network. Not sure if this is the only resource they have, but it's what I've heard.

I was on the Skins sideline and it was impossible for the coaches to know if he was inbounds or not.. Gibbs said that the play was critical and that he felt it was something that basically had to be challeneged.. The coaches in the box help advise him on that.. Keep in mind the replays they see are only the ones provided by TV and the timely fashion in which the replays are shown are at the discretion of the network..
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 am

1niksder wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:I've heard that the coaches who sit upstairs, who are responsible for determining whether their team should challenge a play or not, can only rely on the replays that are shown on TV by the network. Not sure if this is the only resource they have, but it's what I've heard.

I was on the Skins sideline and it was impossible for the coaches to know if he was inbounds or not.. Gibbs said that the play was critical and that he felt it was something that basically had to be challeneged.. The coaches in the box help advise him on that.. Keep in mind the replays they see are only the ones provided by TV and the timely fashion in which the replays are shown are at the discretion of the network..

Doesn't seem to be a fair option for coaches and teams. So, the networks can play a roll in the review process (by helping or hurting a team) and possibly affect the outcome of a game? I think the NFL should change something with that. Not sure how they could make it better, but they certainly should take a look at this.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:19 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Doesn't seem to be a fair option for coaches and teams. So, the networks can play a roll in the review process (by helping or hurting a team) and possibly affect the outcome of a game? I think the NFL should change something with that. Not sure how they could make it better, but they certainly should take a look at this.

There's nothing fair about it. Often they don't even show a replay until it's too late to do anything about it. If the announcer doesn't catch potential injustice, or happens to be waxing poetic about some nonsense unrelated to the game, a crucial replay opportunity can be totally missed. I get pissed at least once a game, by the lack of a timely replay, or any replay at all.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:55 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Im listening to Gibbs press conference and he stated that they have to wait for replays and it takes too long and they have to throw the flag on a hunch. Is this waiting period due to the old technology at Fed-Ex? I remebered hearing that replays for us fans are so bad because they have to rewind the VHS tape. :lol: Are the coaches suffering from a lack of digital media also?

Although I could not find any info I believe the coaches rely on the network feed to decide wether to challenge or not. The officials though ...

"Our goal is to take advantage of advanced technology to create the most efficient replay system possible," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We believe we have developed that type of system. It uses advanced technology, but it is simple to operate. We did not want to bring back replay with the same system as 10 years ago. There will be a noticeable positive difference in the overall replay operation."

The NFL's replay system, which will be used first in the preseason, uses digital computer technology, not video tape as was employed from 1986-91 when the NFL used replay to assist officiating. The new system affords quicker access to replays because there is no tape ("non-linear") to re-wind.

The system begins with the replay booth receiving a "live" feed from the network television control truck covering the game.

The "technician" in front of the live-feed monitor cues up the live play by pressing the "make play" button on his console as the ball is snapped. That automatically puts the play on a "touch-screen monitor" positioned in front of the replay assistant. When a replay comes up from the truck, the technician presses a "make replay" button and that automatically pops up on the touch-screen monitor. The monitor can accommodate six replay angles of a single play.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:51 pm

despite all of the technology, we have seen some incredibly bad decisions made by the officials after seeing the "evidence".
i am in favor of replay as i am of the opinion that while the officials are so often correct in their calls, they sometimes miss something that is quite clear when the play is re-played in slow speed. it is just very disapointing when obviously bad calls are not reversed as we have seen a number of times. i totally understand not changing a call that is not clearly a mistake but these guys still let some calls stand that are blatantly wrong.
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:26 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

Although I could not find any info I believe the coaches rely on the network feed to decide wether to challenge or not. The officials though ...

"Our goal is to take advantage of advanced technology to create the most efficient replay system possible," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We believe we have developed that type of system. It uses advanced technology, but it is simple to operate. We did not want to bring back replay with the same system as 10 years ago. There will be a noticeable positive difference in the overall replay operation."

The NFL's replay system, which will be used first in the preseason, uses digital computer technology, not video tape as was employed from 1986-91 when the NFL used replay to assist officiating. The new system affords quicker access to replays because there is no tape ("non-linear") to re-wind.

The system begins with the replay booth receiving a "live" feed from the network television control truck covering the game.

The "technician" in front of the live-feed monitor cues up the live play by pressing the "make play" button on his console as the ball is snapped. That automatically puts the play on a "touch-screen monitor" positioned in front of the replay assistant. When a replay comes up from the truck, the technician presses a "make replay" button and that automatically pops up on the touch-screen monitor. The monitor can accommodate six replay angles of a single play.

That's for the refs, not the teams. The teams have to use either the network feed or the jumbotron replays. If the network doesn't show it, or show it in time, then the team can't know whether or not to challenge.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:10 pm

JSPB22 wrote:

"That's for the refs, not the teams. The teams have to use either the network feed or the jumbotron replays. If the network doesn't show it, or show it in time, then the team can't know whether or not to challenge."

DarhtMonk replies:

That's why my post began with ...

"Although I could not find any info I believe the coaches rely on the network feed to decide wether to challenge or not. The officials though ... "

Oh well

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006