Champ

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Champ

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:00 pm

Something that really got under my skin is something Champ said recently (according to what my mom said she saw on TV). He said that Laveranues deserves a pay raise. I am ver aggrivated by this and here are a few reasons why:

1. It's just a cheap bargaining ploy with management so that they remember that he has a contract to get finished.

2. Coles has only played three games for us.

3. Coles already has a HUGE contract! He gets 13 million just for signing his name on a piece of paper! And he gets five million year and I also would logically guess that he has incentive clauses presented in the contract.

4. By starting this dialogue, he might get some front office members involved in this "battle of the wits" if the media presses the right buttons. (Which won't happen)

5. Champ hasn't proven that he deserves a large contract. He has gotten beat on too many occassions for a "Number 1 Cornerback" and he needs to learn how to TURN AROUND WHEN HE'S GETTING BEAT, like when he gave up the TD to Toomer, as I've been yelling at him all year! My mom is getting sick of hearing me yell that to him whenever he gets beat. :lol:

Not that I'm mad or anything. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:05 pm

i'm tierd of the pay me attitude too. i want to resign champ, but it has to be within reason too. champ gaulked at the contract he was offered and didn't even offer a counter. guess we're not good enuff for him anymore :evil:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:18 pm

Champ is a very good cb,a very good cb, not a great one yet, how many interceptions do we have this year, I can remember one, maybe because I drink to much during the game, but I don't think the guys name begun with Champ, Ify is the winner of that award, somebody we were thinking of getting rid of for Lawyer Malloy. I am sure Ifantye isn't b*tching about his contract (YET). Maybe some of these guys should start worrying about playing the game instead of talking about how good they could play, then go and get burnt, I am still not sold on Smoot just yet, reminds me to much of Neon Deion, except one thing, Deion put the money where his mouth is (as hard as it is for me to say) Smoot needs to stop getting burnt as much as he does, he does make a lot of good plays, but should be doing more than he is, I know this is only his third game this season, and respect him for playing with a concussion, but lets stand up to the mic when it's your turn and do something, besides telling us how good you are, Arrington proves his worth, and don't forget about the vetern Smith, worth every penny we spent. LUV THAT GUY !!!!!!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:04 pm

Two - one by Bowen, one by Iffy.

I can think of two or three that shoulda coulda woulda been ints, but, as with the passes in the first half, they were dropped.
Rich in Roanoke

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:26 pm

I keep on hearing the announcers say that the Skins have one of the best tandem of corners in the league. I, for one, am not yet convinced.

I am certainly not on the Smoot bandwagon. Frankly, he looks terrible at times.

I like Champ very much but, to be candid, lately he looks like he's worried more about his contract that on covering the opponent's #1 guy.

I hope Champ starts focusing again....and soon.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:49 pm

I used to be high on the veteran Smith also, but he is jumping offsides way too much lately. It seems that he's had a lot of 'almost' plays this year and last year also. He's so worried about his sack record that he keeps leaving early. If he can't get it under control, maybe he needs to get his record somewhere else.
oops....sorry!

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:51 pm

As long as we can find a way to get W's Champ can get beat 1/2 the year for all I care. I've heard quite enough 'baby cry about the money' from him. I love him as a player but as I said before he couldn't lead our D to 7-11 for slurpees if he wanted to. Not a leading type guy.

Either way I hope he comes around and it works out.....however I bet this is gonna get worse.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:23 am

... he looked pretty ordinary getting beat on Sunday, but he also had a couple of great covers.

Still not the mark of a guy that wants to get paid 8-10 million bucks a year.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:46 am

Why not trade him for a couple of great players and a really good and SOLID corner?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:40 am

Why not trade him for a couple of great players and a really good and SOLID corner?

he only has this season left on his contract, so basically there is no trade value. personally see champ wearing the franchise tag in the offseason. 2 first rounders in return, or maybe a draft pick, and another player. i don't know. the contract would likely have to be more lucrative once FA approaches, but i don't know if any team in the league would be willing to part with 2 1st rounders and still pay that kind of money..... :?
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:28 am

Just a thought, if you regularly give the QB 5 seconds to throw the ball, any cornerback tandum will look ordinary. The problem ain't with our corners, its with our line. I think we need to see some adjustments there. Its time to play - maybe bring in Ladarious Jackson, maybe change the folks inside. Right now we are getting NO pressure without blitzing.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:42 am

I think Skinsfanno9 is dead on hear. No corner can cover all day without any sort of pass rush.

Moose said it a number of times the other day...the Skins can't generate any pass rush with their front four and only when they blitz is there some resemblence of a pass rush.

Champ does however need to back off of his $$$ demands and play ball. I saw where someone said that his performance last week helped the club bargaining position...I couldn't agree more.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:49 am

I think we have to come to grips with the possibility that Champ might not be here next year. OK, maybe thats better in some sense. Smoot may not be the best man up corner there is, but I bet he gets lots of interceptions in a 2 deep zone. Maybe this is what we move towards if Champ leaves. You can cover having only OK corners by going to Zone - its really hard to cover having lousy line play or lousy LBs. If I'm taking a choice, I'd rather be good from the front back, not the other way around, which is what we have now.

In any event, I want to see Champ have the most monster year of his career this year. In a perfect world, nobody gets another pass on this guy - lets make a run of it!

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:51 am

I like the Franchise tag idea.

...and agree....I'd rather be good from the front to back as well...rather than the way we have it now.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:22 am

i been screamin pass rush from game 1, fanno said we aren't getting preasure without blitzing, shoot, we aren't getting presure when we are. collins had WAY too much time sunday. barber helped but still, how many three step drops did collins throw? other than OT, you could probably count em on one hand.
THN's resident jerk.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football