End of Season Plays

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

End of Season Plays

Postby InsaneBoost » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:13 am

Well now that the year is over for the Redskins, do you think we'll start trying new plays, trick plays, and things along that line considering we have nothing to lose, or will we just keep playing the same.
Redskins | Capitals | Nationals | Wizards | D.C United | UMD

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:29 am

I'm not sure why we would want to do anything like this at all - this is not some fantasy league stuff. This is the NFL and Gibbs and the coaches will be evaluating players and themselves.

Why would you think we would try something "tricky"? There is no "trick play" mentality in this coach.
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm not sure why we would want to do anything like this at all - this is not some fantasy league stuff. This is the NFL and Gibbs and the coaches will be evaluating players and themselves.

Why would you think we would try something "tricky"? There is no "trick play" mentality in this coach.

Speaking of evaluating players and all, I had to miss parts of the game due to familial obligations (kids' Christmas pageant), but it seemed like Holdman was out there most of the time; in fact, I don't remember seeing McIntosh at all. Did Rocky get any time in on D (vs. special teams)?

piggie

Postby jru37726 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:48 am

Rocky actually did get in for a series in the 2nd qtr......but i never saw him again in......maybe now that we are 4-9 Gibbs will go for it on 4th and 2 at the opp 12 at home down 21-6.....or maybe not waste a timeout and THEN send out the FG team.

Did you see what Philly did on their last drive yesterday? If the situation was reversed, and we were up 21-19, do you know what play calls our coach would have called? 1st down Betts into the pile......2nd down....Betts into the pile.....3rd down...Betts into the pile.....that is pu**y football and Gibbs is gonna have to realize that doesn't fly in today;s NFL......you give an NFL team enough chances you will get burned eventually.

Philly put on a clinic for Joe Gibbs yesterday on how to finish a game IF ever we are ahead at the end of a game. But nothing will change.

Garcia went out there knowing he needed 3 first downs to win the game.....after two solid runs on 3rd and 2 short pas to the FB.....then on 1st down he hit a slant to Stallworth which fooled Springs because unfortunately he sees our offense all week in practice in their end game offense........then Mr. Westbrook finsihed us off. 5 minutes left after that horrid goal line play calling (putting Duckett in NOW! LORD HELP US) and we can;t get the one stop we need at home in a game we can screw Philly out of its playoff hopes.

Anyone have a sharp knife i can borrow?
Last edited by jru37726 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby InsaneBoost » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm not sure why we would want to do anything like this at all - this is not some fantasy league stuff. This is the NFL and Gibbs and the coaches will be evaluating players and themselves.

Im talking more on plays they wanted to do this year, but they never did, something like a triple reverse with a pass, somethig like that.
Redskins | Capitals | Nationals | Wizards | D.C United | UMD

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm not sure what types of plays we'll see, but it'll be exciting I think.

I, for one, was hoping the Redskins would have gone for it on 4th and goal against the Eagles....considering our record and all. I mean "why not"?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piggie

Postby USS Redskin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Justice Hog wrote:I'm not sure what types of plays we'll see, but it'll be exciting I think.

I, for one, was hoping the Redskins would have gone for it on 4th and goal against the Eagles....considering our record and all. I mean "why not"?

I am with you Justice - The Skins are 4-8, so by all means, play conservatively?????? It's crazy!
The Skins could be 0-15 on the last game of the season and Gibbs would send in the FG unit instead of going for any 4th downs.
Just beat Dallas - they are A-H****

piggie

Postby Skin Diesel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 pm

Part of the reason the Skins are 4 and 9 is because of those stupid trick plays that Saunders calls. Enough with the reverses and end around BS. The Redskins don't need to be cute, they need to be tough. That's what Gibbs was saying after the Tampa game. They are not in a back yard drawing up plays in the dirt. They may still be losing, but at least they're playing tougher on offense than they were before.
"Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions."

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:51 pm

It's funny - I see as many people here criticising the Skins for being conservative as I see complaining about risky playcalling...

As for the plays that we'll see between now and the end of the season - why would anything change? The coaches are trying to build something here, and they won't gain anything by experimenting with pages 690-700 of the playbook.

Personally, I'd choose the five most fundamental plays that the Redskins just have to be good at for this offence to succeed, and keep on calling them, whatever the game situation.

But that's why I'm sitting here looking a ta keyboard, and not standing on the sidelines on Sundays.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Joe's#1Fan

Re: End of Season Plays

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:36 pm

InsaneBoost wrote:Well now that the year is over for the Redskins, do you think we'll start trying new plays, trick plays, and things along that line considering we have nothing to lose, or will we just keep playing the same.

they will continue to work jason in the fold with this offense ....
3 more games to get this offense straighten out for next year and see who needs to be in this offense for next year as well.

i,m more concerned wwith defense leading into this offseason not offense.

wait and see but they shouldn,t do anything tricky.the run their stuff.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:12 pm

keep playing the same....
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:24 pm

HailSkins94 wrote:keep playing the same....

Do we really want this team to win anymore games? I mean we are looking at a top five pick right now.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Mursilis, I saw Rocky McIntosh on the field a lot with Adam Archuleta... On special teams...

Nothing better to represent you FO than have the most expensive safety in NFL history and a second round draft pick who you traded up for on special teams.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006