All the talent you could ask for.

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
aka Evil Hog

All the talent you could ask for.

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:55 pm

and we still can't be professional. gotta blame the coaching staff for this. the o-line penalties don't relate to crowd noise here...... also STUPID penalties WTF???? i like spurriers approach to the running game, but he still dosen't get it......miracles are few and far between in the nfl.....why an eight yard toss back on third down to end the 1st quarter?????? instead of going for short, we go for long???? i do appreciate the pass protection this game... i expected much worse. we still have no pass rush, that could have been a big factor here too. :(
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:58 pm

I hear ya bro - but we did have a great comeback - P Ram is the man!

Whatta heart!

Hey Boss - in the Talking Smack Forum - can we assign a thread to a "Moron's Corner" for all the smack talking reporters who think P - Ram and Spurrier still can't get it done? How about the ones who still don't get it that Spurrier likes to run, just not when he is down by 18? :)
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:51 am

who think P - Ram and Spurrier still can't get it done?

I think they're right (based on yesterday's game)... not of P-Ram, but of SOS.

Until this team can play smarter football and not beat themselves... we won't get it done.

Regardless of P-Ram... as Sunday's game proved. The kid played great again, but it wasn't enough to win.

Tough to win when you give them the length of the field and half of it again in penalties. Aye.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:53 am

I agree that the coach needs to be more disciplined, but Spurrier can't run out on the field and keep people from doing stupid stuff - that's a penalty too, even in the time between plays.

Some of the responsibility has to rest on the shoulders of the multimillionaires to play smarter on the field too.

Samuels didn't have to hold on the TD pass - the man just had to be directed wide - a push could have done that. The hold takes place DURING the throw, and the man wasn't close to P-Ram at that point, meaning that had Chris just pushed him off course the pass would never have been stopped, thus the hold was not needed.

Trotter should have been the bigger man and walked away from the push in the back. Of course, Bruce getting the offsides in the play before the fight allowed the play to take place that caused the fight - but that isn't as readily apparent as attacking another player for some late push in the back which happens on nearly every play.

That is a 14 point swing right there, my friends, for two stupid penalties.

McCants, I don't blame - there was a ref there, he was hurrying back to the field and just flipped the ball back like it was to the ref and it hit the Giant in the chest. Piddling call by the ref if you ask me.

Once again, if you are worth the kind of money that they say they are, they need to not screw up that bad. As Trotter called it, stupid.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:02 pm

you guys buy into the fact that the refs are watching us a little closer? the bungles don't even have 35 penalties in 3 games. you know the phrase innocent until proven guilty, well once you have a rap for doing something, its more like guilty until proven innocent, so i think they watch us a little closer....and you're right rich the players gotta earn those millions. everyone involved has to work harder, and smarter.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:47 pm

There's no point waving fingers, and there's no point wondering if we're 'treated differently'. I would hazard a guess that if anything, the refs made some calls against NY in the second half to make up for earlier imbalances, so that hardly seems vindictive on their part.

We're just a little too edgy right now. A lot of these penalties come from playing with a heightened sense of competition... the offsides, the procedures, the taunting, the personal fouls. Eventually, this team will learn how to win, and get used to winning.

Then maybe they won't act so undisciplined.

You know the old saying.... 'Act like you've done it before.'

I think as this team realizes it's potential, some of the over-hyper, senseless mistakes will disappear.

We're still playing like a 7-9 team that's playing well. We get over-excited at our ability to stay competitive... we think we need to try and 'gain an extra edge' all the time. We don't. We need to start playing like a 10-6 team, that's playing to it's ability and then we'll stop shooting ourselves in the foot so often.

Being a winner is a mindset... after so many years o being mediocre... we haven't achieved that mindset yet.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:56 pm

Geez Boss - reality? That was harsh ::big grin::

Seriously, I agree we are making a big deal out of this, but to be honest - I AM AWFUL DAGGONE TIRED of 75+ yards of penalties over the last however many years per game.

This has gotten obnoxious. The piddling call against McCants rates an apology by the ref - that was bs and we all know it if you go back and watch it. It wasn't spiked or thrown hard, and in watching it, DM didn't say anything so it wasn't him running his mouth. It was a horribly silly call by a ref who probably was picked on as a child.

Do I think it is a conspiracy? No. I think the one call was bad, just like in the Tech game there was a bad call. I know they are human, but holy moly that is a game changer right off the bat. The refs could at least acknowledge it.

I don't know about you all, I would have been just as mad as DM had that call been against me.
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:02 pm

that call wasn't near as much a game changer as the Trotter call....both calls were weak, but good teams don't put themselves in a position where the officials can make those calls

besides most of the calls on us are obvious off-sides calls! Bone-headed and must be stopped!
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:32 pm

I agree... just walk away and let the ball drop with no mouth, no flip, no nothing - it should be intense personal satisfaction to burn the butt of the guy covering you and there should be no need for smack that early in the game (although I still say it wasn't done for that) but Trotter admitted his was idiotic. How many years has that man played football only to be played like a chump by a Giant? Jeeeeeeeeez.... Trotter helped cause that third TD against us. There are so many what ifs....

These guys ought to be thanking their stars that most of us aren't their coaches.... ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:20 am

damn straight....Mitchell was doing his best to try and get in guys heads....he's always been good at that....loved it when he was on our side
We'll miss you, Joe.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:35 am

Seriously, I agree we are making a big deal out of this, but to be honest - I AM AWFUL DAGGONE TIRED of 75+ yards of penalties over the last however many years per game.

... me too. But noone was whining about the officiating after our first two wins were they? Sure we had too many penalties... but noone blamed it on the refs.

Now since we lost... we wanna blame our woes on the refs.

As I said, as this team LEARNS TO WIN, they'll forget all of the different ways that we know how to lose.

swine

Postby skinsNut » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:39 pm

Texas Hog wrote:damn straight....Mitchell was doing his best to try and get in guys heads....he's always been good at that....loved it when he was on our side

I know it's not too PC, but i'm getting sick and tired of hearing BM slag the Redskins already.

Ok, ok, you feel slighted... move on already. I swear he only plays for NFC East teams so that he can whine about it twice a year.

He was a great player for us, but has there ever been a bigger embassador for not playing for the Redskins than Brian Mitchell? It gets harder and harder for me to ignore that.

I'm not trying to start a flame war about whether or not he was good for the Redskins when he was here, there's no disputing that, I just feel like everybody loves a guy that goes around slamming our team all the time.
Hail to the Redskins

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:59 pm

he was a great player for us...but we all know...as does everyone else that he's got a big mouth

he slams the Skins still, cause he wishes he'd never been let go
We'll miss you, Joe.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006