Switching Positions

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Switching Positions

Postby Skins2daGrave » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:57 pm

this has been bugging me for a while. once you enter the league as a certain position lets say, WR, can you switch to QB? i know a lot of QB's switch to WR's but can WR's switch to Qb's or LB's or RB's??? not like minor swithces from ILB to like OLB, big switches, like from WR to DE. sorry if this sound confusing and dumb :lol:
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:29 pm

You can play any position you want, just not all at once.

Entering the NFL in 1995, Kordell Stewart was a quarterback, punter, and wide receiver, hence his nickname, "Slash."

A player can be talented at many positions but coaches usually prefer the player to stick with one position.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Zack Kearsey came into the NFL as a LB for the Skins and was cut he is now a FB for the 9ers
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:48 pm

It's very difficult for players to make a switch from a college position to a new position in the NFL because the level of play is so high and they haven't had the training or coaching in that position before. To enter the NFL in a new position with NO coaching experience in this new position is a tough road.

If anyone can make this switch it's normally super athletes in college that typically have speed. As the saying goes, you don't teach speed but you can coach a fast QB in college to be a WR or Punt Returner...ala, Randal El.

You would not normally see a great running QB in the NFL switch to CB. The coaching needed to make that switch is too great. Many good and experienced CBs make the switch to FS as they lose a step, e.g., Troy Vincent, but that change is not that difficult...in fact, many times you wouldn't change your position coach.

Kearsey did come out of Princeton as a LB and has switched but is not on the 49er roster. I'd venture to guess, he's trying to become a blocking FB, not a running FB.

One interesting thing here -- You'd think a 6'4" 300 lb DT in college could make the switch to OLine -- but I can't think of any Lineman to ever make a switch to the other side of the ball (from college to Pro) and be that successful. Can anyone else? I've heard this (very crude) generalization about the difference between lineman. OLine are typically smarter, slower, more patient and more laid back people. DLIne are typically more agressive, faster, less laid back people. I certainly can't validate that but if there is a difference in temperament than that is figured out early on -- in High School maybe. Molarino made that switch in college but not from college to pros. Maybe that's why he's struggling too.

You'd think that WR's and CB's could switch -- but again, it's the years of coaching that you must have to make it in the NFL.

The long and short of this issue is -- you better make a position switch in college and early enough that you can get coached up!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 pm

One interesting thing here -- You'd think a 6'4" 300 lb DT in college could make the switch to OLine -- but I can't think of any Lineman to ever make a switch to the other side of the ball (from college to Pro) and be that successful. Can anyone else?

I'm too lazy to look this one up, but I think that Joe Jacoby showed up as a defensive tackle. Gibbs suggested he play OT.

Maybe myth...maybe faulty memory?

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm

welch wrote:
One interesting thing here -- You'd think a 6'4" 300 lb DT in college could make the switch to OLine -- but I can't think of any Lineman to ever make a switch to the other side of the ball (from college to Pro) and be that successful. Can anyone else?

I'm too lazy to look this one up, but I think that Joe Jacoby showed up as a defensive tackle. Gibbs suggested he play OT.

Maybe myth...maybe faulty memory?

It may be a myth.

According to wikipedia (not the best source sometimes, I know. But still) he played OT for all three years of college.

George Starke was a TE for a little bit in college, but I can't find any info on any of the Hogs playing defensive line.

Sorry. :?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:02 am

Actually, JJ came as an Offensive Tackle, and when Gibbs saw him and his massive body, he assumed he was a Defensive Tackle, and JJ, being and undrafted rookie free agent, was afraid to correct him.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby BearSkins » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:34 pm

fredp45 wrote:You'd think that WR's and CB's could switch -- but again, it's the years of coaching that you must have to make it in the NFL.

The Bears WR Rashied Davis was a CB last year. Mind you, he only had that one year as a CB in the NFL. Think he would play WR for the scout team and when he was in Arena League he was a 'two-way' player.

cleg

Re: Switching Positions

Postby cleg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Skins2daGrave wrote:this has been bugging me for a while. once you enter the league as a certain position lets say, WR, can you switch to QB? i know a lot of QB's switch to WR's but can WR's switch to Qb's or LB's or RB's??? not like minor swithces from ILB to like OLB, big switches, like from WR to DE. sorry if this sound confusing and dumb :lol:

Yeah, I like switching positions.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

piggie

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:54 pm

Any pos. to QB
Basically impossible, qb is too detailed and specific of a position, cannot get by with athleticism

QB to any pos
Can be done, but the athleticism must be there, and usually QB's aren't to keen on hitting anyone so that is a big factor

WR 2 CB or CB 2 WR
The main difference between these two is that CB's are usually(and should be) faster, shorter, and cannot catch that well. CB to WR is easier than WR to CB

OL 2 DL or DL 2 OL
The whole mentality thing seems pretty accurate to me, OL 2 DL is 10 times easier than DL to OL because DL can get by on athleticism, on OL there is an ungodly amount of technique and mental work.

Basically, the two things needed to succeed in a pos. change are a patience and
willingness to learn and a already present set of skills and athleticism that suggests an ability to play at that new position.
On the eighth day God created Sean Taylor- and he was good.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:15 pm

Recall that it was common in the '50s, when colleges played two-way football. Gary Collins, U MD, was All America as a receiver and db.

His teammeate, Tom Brown, was

- second in receptions to Collins

- led the team in KR

- led the team with six interceptions

- played shotgun QB in his final game...just because he had been recruited as a QB.

Brown, of course, hit .450 for the UM baseball team, signed with the Senators, and started opening day, 1962, at 1B.

He couldn't hit major-league curves, and, losing patience for playing in the minors, signed with the Packers. Lombadi had drafted in the second round. Brown then started in the Packers all-tme great defensive backfield, won NFL championships, and the first two Super Bowl rings.

A great athlete.

Charley Taylor could have been a starting DB or RB for he Redskins. Otto (AKA "Toot") Graham switched him to WR, which was like the invention of nuclear weapons. No WR had ever been so big, strong, and fast.

Now things are more specialized...although a QB named Brian Mitchell did well as KR/RB for the Redskins. Even played QB in the "body-bag" game.

But the principle stands. Far more specialization now.

Return to Football 101