Quality Control coaches

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Quality Control coaches

Postby BearSkins » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:10 pm

I've often wondered exactly what it is these fellas do. Anyone have any insight? Quality control makes it sound like they are in charge of makiing sure everyone has their socks at the same height or something but surely their real function is much more important. Please shed some light for me....

Thanks!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 pm

I've always thought it was their job to study a lot of tape, and do some mind-numbing statistical stuff. But surely they're more important than that?

I'm with BearSkins - somebody tell me what these guys do?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:51 pm

I don't think it is possible to answer this question, because I'm sure that different "quality control" coaches have different responsibilities on whichever team they are a part of.

A QC coach on one team might be there as an observer with some gopher duties to be groomed as a positions coach... while on another team they might be a more important position.

IMO, it's just a name and if you asked 10 different NFL GM's what a QC coach did... you'd get 10 different answers.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:36 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I've always thought it was their job to study a lot of tape, and do some mind-numbing statistical stuff. But surely they're more important than that?

I'm with BearSkins - somebody tell me what these guys do?

I think many of them do just that. Some head coaches live and die by charts compiled with all kinds of statistics and situational stats. While I'm sure the head coach crafts the way that these statistics are presented, I'm willing to bet that he's got help in watching the hours and hours of tape (plus recording stats) necessary for putting them together.

Others, I think, get those positions when the coach wants them on the team but doesn't know where to put them. (Like a son, a friend, a former player etc.) Could they be the 'interns' of NFL coaching?

piggie

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:49 pm

a QC Coach is a coach that specializes in either O or D and usually in a specific position too. They do a lot of work with the playbook and gameplanning, very important and complicated stuff, yet not the material that head coaches deal a lot with. on gameday, they are usually in the box, and many of them are in charge or at least give advice on when to take timeouts in crucial situations, and also package, and playcalling advice. in the offseason they also evaluate players off of film in their specified positionand put in their 2 cents in personnel matters.
On the eighth day God created Sean Taylor- and he was good.

Hog

Postby BearSkins » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks for that, man!
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Return to Football 101