Coles' Catch

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Pursuer of Justice

Coles' Catch

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:24 pm

I know you all saw that Coles catch at the end of the game...where he dove for the ball and held it in his hands (without bobbling it)...then falling to the ground where the ball was knocked out.

I have to admit, I don't really know some of the rules as much as I'd like....but I thought if a player had control of the ball and the ground knocked it out...it would be a completion.

Am I wrong about this?

If I'm right, the refs totally blew that instant replay call at the end of the game...and it almost cost us!

Thankfully, we pulled this one out so the point is moot...but I'm just lookin' to see if anyone knows the official "rule" reference to the catch.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:27 pm

He had possession with more than two steps. The ground shouldn't have made a bit of difference, or at least that is how I understand the rules.

I could easily be wrong on that, but I was sure three steps with clear possession meant a catch.
Rich in Roanoke

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:14 pm

What's interesting is that the ref who made the initial call said he bobbled to ball and that was why it was incomplete.

I also don't know all the rules but it looked like a catch to me. Do you have to pull the ball into your body for it to be considered a catch?

Luckily we can all ponder this with a win under our belts - just wish we could push the score up a little - these close ones are hard on my nerves.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:43 pm

I fully expect a retraction by the NFL this week. That call was so bogus I could die. Seriously, what a gut check by the D after that, but also, what a great play by our offense when we needed it most.

Is it just me or are the officials becoming the star of the NFL this year? They seem to be the deciding factor in WAY to many games...

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:45 pm

speek wrote: these close ones are hard on my nerves.

According to Rod Gardner, they are hard on his nerves too :)
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:35 am

The new rule supposedly states that the receiver MUST maintain control of the ball even AFTER he hits the ground. Apparently, the receiver must maintain control even when he hits the ground (unlike in the field of play)

I'll try to dig up the rule tomorrow and see if we can get to the bottom of it.

I agree with Noel though, what a gut check from the D after to keep the game a win.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:02 am

It was great D... that is for sure

I didn't hear about the change in the possession rule but it was still one tremendous effort by Coles even so, don't you think? What hands - didn't drop it until hitting the ground.
Rich in Roanoke

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:48 am

Great "Catch" by Coles

Great Defense to secure the win.

Now let's win by 40 each week so we don't get in that situation again and I don't lose anymore of the grey hairs I can't spare.

I'm starting to look like this guy below!

:roll:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Postby LaVarArringtonFan » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:28 pm

So that rule means if a reciever catches it in midfield runs around with ball taking 50 steps and dancing, then runs it to a sideine gets tackled out of bounds and while hitting the ground loses the ball. That would be considered incomplete???? Hmm if thats a rule well its complete crap. One thing i still don't understand is if thats a rule then why is it when a RB breaks the plan for a TD and loses a ball still a TD? All i'm saying is a the refs have something on the skins. 4 Bad calls in the pats game. All against the skins. First the champ bailey PI, then the Lavernous coles PI, then the Coles catch, and the review of it. How hard is it to see the refs are out to get us?
Hail to the Redskins!!!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:41 pm

No the rule only applies when the receiver has only got two feet in to the field of play. If 3 feet are down in the field of play, then the rule is not supposed to be applied.

If I get a chance later, I'll try to find the rule but I'm at work and have limited 'surf' time.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:07 pm

It was a helluva an effort regardless.....Coles is a great receiver and worth every penny.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:41 pm

I agree with that TH...

Boss, I wanna go back and look at that play on my tape... but I wuz fer sure he had three feet down in bounds in control... but once again it is from memory - and that memory was colored in red - as in blood red when that call was made... ::grin::

If it did, then the rule you are stating doesn't apply if I am interpreting what you are saying right...

Like we all think though... heckuva effort on LC's part.
Rich in Roanoke

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:42 pm

BossHog wrote:No the rule only applies when the receiver has only got two feet in to the field of play. If 3 feet are down in the field of play, then the rule is not supposed to be applied.

If I get a chance later, I'll try to find the rule but I'm at work and have limited 'surf' time.

I've watched the replay myriad times. He DID take THREE steps before reaching the sideline.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:45 pm

three steps = a catch, case closed - the stupid rule doesn't apply in that case....at least that's what I've heard
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:47 pm

IF that is what Boss can confirm... I agree. I thought there were three steps. I always hated that little pig faced ref - I don't think he sides with us on much of anything
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006