CHRIS SAMUELS CARTED OFF FIELD - out 4 weeks

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:40 am

Four weeks according to the local news.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:42 am

num1skinsfan wrote:Let's hope it's not a serious tear. If it just means missing time we lucked out. Training camp is a good time to break in a viable backup, never can have too many lineman in this league. :(

Agreed, while injuries are inherently unfortunate, having it happen now is much more advantageous than, say, three months from now. It does put the team in the position of assessing the viability of the remaining, non-starting lineman.

P.S. I deleted your double post :up:
RIP Sean Taylor

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 am

4 weeks isn't bad, we probably dodged a bullet there.

I am glad we have depth on the line, but I wonder how the Redskins will use that?

If Wade is being converted wouldn't it be harmful to slide him back to tackle and then back to guard when CSam is back? Who plays in Samuels' absence?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby Skinna Mob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 am

Just thought I would post this since I was educating myself about the injury...

What are the symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury?
The most common symptom following a medial collateral ligament injury is pain directly over the ligament. Swelling over the torn ligament may appear, and bruising and generalized joint swelling are common 1 to 2 days after the injury. In more severe injuries, patients may complain that the knee is unstable, or feel as though their knee may 'give out' or buckle.

Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury tend to correlate with the extent of the injury. MCL injuries are graded on a scale of I to III.

* Grade I MCL Tear
This is an incomplete tear of the MCL. The tendon is still in continuity, and the symptoms are usually minimal. Patients usually complain of pain with pressure on the MCL, and may be able to return to their sport very quickly. Most athletes miss 1-2 weeks of play.

* Grade II MCL Tear
Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary.

* Grade III MCL Tear
A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm[/url]
"It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom," he said. "And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that."
Sean Taylor

-REDSKINS TILL I DIE-

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 am

Hopefully they'll sit him down somewhere. Preferably chained to a bed with his foot elevated until the start of the season.

I almost want to stick our starters in cryo until the Miami game.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:53 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Hopefully they'll sit him down somewhere. Preferably chained to a bed with his foot elevated until the start of the season.

I almost want to stick our starters in cryo until the Miami game.

I was thinking about that. May be a hidden blessing. Samuels is enough of a vet that he probably doesn't need a ton of reps anyway. If he's fresh and fully recovered by opening day, I can't see having missed all of camp and preseason as a huge loss. I'm assuming he'll continue to work learning the playbook, etc., which I'm sure he will.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:31 pm

The one negative may be conditioning. It may be tough for him to come back after a month off. They are going to have him rest his leg for at least a week then start some rehabbing. I'm sure this next off season, he may get it cleaned out. Will wait and see.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Not sure if that playbook is for reading, or for resting his leg on. Good grief - are these guys football players or astrophysisists?

Early signs are that we dodged a bullet here; much better to miss the time now and give somebody else a chance to make a name for themselves at that spot.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby redskingush » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:13 pm

4 Weeks, we got lucky, A vet like Samuels will be ok for Sept 9th.
GO SKINS GO!!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:22 pm

Given his "documented" affinity for dogfighting, doesn't this mean that if he doesn't perform well in four weeks, he should be hanged, thrown violently to the ground, electrocuted, or shot? You know, just to send him a message. :twisted:

*stirs the pot*
Back and better than ever!

-----------

Postby Smithian » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:52 pm

I agree. He should be.

Just joking, I don't feel Chris Samuels was actually involved at any point, but he knew what he was doing when he was laughing.

On topic, who is his actually backup? Depth chart out yet?
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:23 pm

i guess it'd be Wade since Whitticker (splg?) has been said to be practicing with the 1st team at LG
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:32 pm

Smithian wrote:On topic, who is his actually backup? Depth chart out yet?

Not yet. In practice today UDFA Stephon Heyer (Maryland) filled in, but that's likely only to see how he reacts to playing with the 1st unit. Since Chris is expected back even before the start of the season, they aren't too worried about finding the best backup right now — and it's also likely the reason why the coaches probably didn't consider moving Wade over to tackle.

Gibbs will be using this time to see who might be capable of doing what, and Chris will get back in the lineup with some time to spare.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 pm

I spoke to someone from the Redskins today and they commented that Chris would likely miss "two to four" weeks. That wasn't an official statement so much as an expression of an opinion, but take it for what it's worth.

I would imagine that considering the time of the season - four weeks would be fine anyway. Let him heal properly.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:10 am

I personally love the fact that the rookie is showing some promise. It's good to know.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007