Whew! That was a scary ending to a close win..game balls

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
... deep in TX

Whew! That was a scary ending to a close win..game balls

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:42 pm

Only 9 penalties....that's improvement......but on the last drive I was going nuts.....snap the ball Moore...Samuels ...what was up with those boneheaded offsides? :evil: Stupid little mistakes like that damn near cost us the game....had it gone to OT, how many of us saw a loss coming? I know I did, NE had all the momentum and had shown all the offense in the 2nd half. That kinda of loss could cost the team everything it's worked for....mainly its confidence. That said a wins a win, and I'm thankful for it.......also think the out of bounds catch rule is a stupid one

I loved the passes to the backs out of the backfield....like we've discussed.

Special teams also remain iffy at best.....glad Hall can tackle.....and another blocked FG attempt? What gives?

Why is it everytime we get a lead our d gets soft? Thank goodness for the picks....or we lose this game in a close one.

My game balls go to Champ (for his coverage, pick, forced fumble and 6 tackles), Bowen (for his heads-up fumble recovery and 5 tackles). Ohalete and Trotter, hororable mention. I used to like Larry Centers...but that was a cheap shot on Trot....anyone notice about 5 or so plays later Centers piled on and rolled up on his own player's leg?

Can someone tell me why Jimoh was in man/man coverage at right corner when he was burnt? Was Smoot taking a breather :?:
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:28 pm

My sentiments exactly on Jimoh...why is he there on man? The D-Captain needs to be aware of this and change to zone for some help with our Rook.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:00 pm

I think I want to go back and take a look at this one too cause I think the coverage was spot on, but the pass was thrown over the WRs left shoulder and ahead of him. Jimoh was there, but got beat by a good throw... I think.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:00 pm

My game ball... no question, Steve Spurrier.

I give him a great deal of credit for nullifying the 'defensive genius' of Bill Belichick. It wasn't pretty sometimes, but you can't argue with the results.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:55 pm

I agree, it was a good pass....but will still like to see Smoot on that coverage.

Spurrier won with better talent as he should have....barely.....and damn near got outcoached in the 2nd half. I have to admit, I'm not sold on Spurrier yet. I hope he proves me wrong and continues to coach well and get Ws.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:29 pm

and damn near got outcoached in the 2nd half

I totally disagree. It was 6-3 at half-time and finished 20-17. Whether the end looked pretty or not, they did enough to win the game. Bill Belichick is notorious for wreaking havoc on young QBs, and while Ramsey did little in the second half, it was largely due to our ability to run the ball in the 3rd quarter. It was good coaching just to not make Ramsey another notch on Bellycheck's belt.

I have to admit, I'm not sold on Spurrier yet. I hope he proves me wrong and continues to coach well and get Ws

I didn't say anything about being sold on him yet, and have been one of the biggest doubters since his arrival. But I'm not going to ignore his completely different approach this year... that ability to adapt will go a long way in the NFL. He has (seemingly) abondoned his ego to try to be successful in this league... many would have thought that to be the one hurdle he couldn't climb.

It doesn't take going 16-0 to do a good job of coaching. Spurrier's coaching has had us 'in' every game and all 3 of our wins involved great half-time adjustments. Sure the 4th quarter was the Pats' on Sunday, but the 3rd was ours.

The penalties were still bad but there was an improvement.

I'm not sold yet, but I'm not afraid to admit that his coaching so far, is a large part of our 3-1 start.

HTTR

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:12 pm

Let's agree to disagree.....I give the edge in these close games to our talent level over a weak talentless Jets team, a banged up and less talented Falcon team and a very banged up and a less talented Patsie team. I'm not convinced it was the coaching.

I'll admit SS has adjusted somewhat and ran the ball more effectively this year....and has tempered his tendency to pass every down...however....I haven't seen him do things that warrant props for excellent head coaching.

Maybe....and it's a maybe the offensive game planning and play calling has been decent, but the team's overall discipline, motivation, fundamentals etc. have been lacking.....and don't you agree that that'll cost us in the end against a team as or near as talented as we are?

I want to see SS coach us to a win over a team that's as or more talented than us....then he'll get my gameball....and props.....not until.

Of course I love the 3-1 record, but as I've said many times, that'll mean nothing to me if we lose to the cowpukes. Please, oh please Spurrier....if you can ever motivate and coach, let it be against the cowpukes twice this year!

You would not believe the sh*t I'm having to hear and read down here about the savior, Puscells.....how he's returning the organization to it's tradition and winning ways.....please, help me!!!
We'll miss you, Joe.

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:42 pm

I'm hearing the same sh*t Hog. I think Spurrier has some tricks he's saving for November 2nd. Are you going to the game? If so, you'll have to come meet the Dallas Burgundy and Gold club. Let me know.
oops....sorry!

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:40 pm

I agree with Texas hog and the rest of the screaming fans at Fedex field last Sunday.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:54 am

I wish I could be there, tx_skins_fan, but won't

Represent us proudly, as I know you will!

HTTR
We'll miss you, Joe.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:17 am

Well I guess if the only time you're going to give a guy credit is when he beats a perennial powerhouse (do they still exist?), then he's going to have a hard time winning your heart. because nobody is trying to say that we're in the upper crust of NFL teams yet. 9-7 with our schedule, will be a good year.

All of these teams that you described as talentless weren't considered that way BEFORE we played them, and their losses to us helped put them in that perceived state. They were all banged up, I give you that. But if you're gonna slag a coach when his team has lots of injuries and say that they weren't well prepared and therefore suffered some injuries... shouldn't you also say that the coaches whose teams are relatively injury free have done a good job of preparing them?

You can keep finding a reason not to believe that SOS is not doing a good job... that's your prerogative. No one said he was Joe Gibbs re-incarnated or anything... just that he is doing a good job. Our only loss this season is to a division rival who was pegged to be an early division winning possibility. we're 3-1 when most picked us to be 1-3 or 0-4 at this point.

IMO, this shmack about Dallas is getting a little silly too. I hate the cowboys as much as anyone... maybe more. (The reason I am a Redskin fan way up here in Canada, started because of my vehement hatred for all things silver and blue and living in Texas.)

But you know what... if the Redskins finished 10-6, in the playoffs, and lost to the Cowboys BOTH times... I wouldn't be that unhappy. Yeah I wanna beat them, but it's not paramount to the success of our season. I'd just like to get to watch a football game in January... it's been a loooong time.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:16 pm

A perennial powerhouse? I didn't say that....I said a team that was as talented or more talented than us....we are not what I would consider even a powerhouse, yet :wink: . No, I'm not sure they do still exist.

You're right, SS will have a hard time winning my heart....and until he beats the cowpukes regularly (perferably soundly) and gives us a division title or two, he will not. I agree, with our supposedly tough schedule (when the season started anyhow), 9-7 will be a "good" year.

The teams I decribed as talentless are that way because of the injuries of their most talented players ie. Pennington, Vick, Brady, Law and other Patsies. My slagging was not on those coaches....injuries happen and I think Edwards, Reeves and Belicheck are decent coaches. Genius' no, but decent coaches.

We were picked to be 1-3 or 0-4 at this point assuming Vick, Pennington weren't hurt and the Patsies weren't as banged up.

I'm not trying to slam Spurrier or find a way to not give him his credit. I just don't think he deserves a game ball or high praise for his coaching efforts thus far....and withhold my praise until he does something a little more special than beating a few banged up teams.

We should have won that Giants game....some better coaching would have won it....and some better coaching (on both sides of the ball, mind you - each of which SS is responsible for, in each circumstance) would have made the other games not near as close.

At least we agree on the Dallas shmack...then again who wouldn't :lol:

IMHO...If the Skins finish 10-6, get in the playoffs and lose to the pukes twice...I'm very unhappy. It is paramount to me and my perceived success of the Skins season. I too want to see the Skins play in January, but anything less of a conference championship with two losses to the pukes would be a disappointment to me. You're right....it's been far too long for Skin playoff football....it's also been far too long being dominated by our hated arch rivals.

BTW....a win in Philly would be a huge win for the Skins and SS.....and would give me much more faith in SS's coaching....I'll gladly eat crow if he can pull this one off.

Lastly....looks like, according to the poll in the Post today, that most Skins fans agree with you and that SS deserves his props. Sally Jenkins sure seams to think so...whoever the hell she is.
We'll miss you, Joe.

swine

Postby learnnew » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:13 pm

Supposedly tough schedule? Let's see. The supposedly easy games after the bye week aren't any easy anymore. We get Seahawks (3-0), @ Panthers (3-0), @ Dolphins (2-1). This is after Bucs (2-1) and a good Bills (2-2). About the only "easy" games are Bears and may be Saints. We're not even talking about the division rivals here. I guess we think of the later part of the schedule the way we anticipated in the preseason. So many times I've read how things are supposed to get better after the bye week. I, for one, am not really sure about this. If Skins do end up making playoffs, it is not going to be
only because of the talent level of the team but also because of coaching and many other intangibles. I mean, I still believe we can win the division and make play come January. There is still a good chance that we can run the table atleast in our division (except of course for the lost Giants game).

But I completely agree with you TH that we got a lot of lucky breaks in the first four games, breaks that we shouldn't expect all the time. Then again it seems the Skins jinx is becoming more real. How many players are down in the Eagles roster now? ;) Bucs better watch out! LOL

HTTR
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:36 pm

TH, I posted a long answer to your post and somehow it disappeared... user error... and I don't have the strength to do it again :-)

It basically said that I don't think of SOS as a great coah yet either, just that I think he's doing a good job right now. Banged up or not, the Pats played a decent game and we won. There has definitely been margin for improvement in every game, there probably always will be. It's the parity league... most teams are pretty darn close in overall talent level in my opinion.

I think the Dallas stuff is silly, but you live there not me :-) I don't have to put up with them. Of course if you think that every second NFL fan I meet up here isn't part of America's bandwagon then you're kidding yourself. But I can still live with even a split with the boys if we ended up 10-6. i just can't see myself sitting on the couch waiting for the playoff game to start and thinking dammit... this season sucks... we didn't beat the boys twice.

You go on hatin' them like you do though brother... it's good for your soul.

:up:

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:54 am

I agree learnnew....the schedule has turned out to be strange and ever-changing.

Boss....I'd settle for a split with the pukes and a playoff birth....as long as they don't make the playoffs and go further. I want to be ahead of the pukes in the division....if we split...so be it. I just want to see some dominance of them in the near future....like they've laid on us in the recent past.

I hate that "America's team" b.s. label....they're more like Mexico's team from what I see.

What about some of you other's across this great land of North America? Are the pukes America's team, still?
We'll miss you, Joe.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006