RFAs

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

RFAs

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:54 pm

What happens to restricted free agents after the April 16 deadline? Do they become UFAs or do they just stay with the team?
XVII XXII XXVI

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:37 pm

restriced free agents are exactly that only because their team has made them a tender offer by a certain date (sometime before the start of free agency). i believe that if a potential restriced free agent is not made a tender offer, he is free to sign with any team he wishes.

in the redskins' case, they have made tender offers to all their rfas (bryan johnson notwithstanding) and so, once the april 16 deadline passes, they are obligated to sign the tender offer from their team.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:40 pm

this is useful...

An Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA) is defined as a player with an expiring contract who has less than three accrued seasons. He can only sign with his old club, provided that he is offered a one-year contract at the minimum salary for the upcoming year. If the exclusive rights free agent gets no such offer, he is completely free.

A Restricted Free Agent (RFA) is any player that has completed three accrued seasons and their contract has expired. A RFA must be tendered with an offer on or before the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period begins. The RFA can be tendered one of three offers. They are:
(1) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at player's Original Draft Round: This is a one year player contract at a salary of ,000 (for 2002) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one draft pick equal to the round the RFA was selected in during the draft.
(2) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $1,227,000 (for 2002) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one first round draft pick.
(3) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: This is a one year player contract at a salary of $1,637,000 (for 2002) or 110% of the players prior year's salary (whichever is greater). If another club signs said RFA, the team tendering the offer receives one first round draft pick and one third round draft selection. If no tender offer is made by the start of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, then the player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

http://www.newenglandpats.com/whats_new.html
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks that cleared it up for me :up:
XVII XXII XXVI

Return to Football 101