Inactive Players

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Pursuer of Justice

Inactive Players

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:03 am

Each week, I believe each NFL team has to make 7 players on their active roster "inactive" for that week's game. Why the heck is that? If you make the active squad, why can't you play each and every week?

Does anyone know the origins of this "inactive player" rule and why it even exists?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Re: Inactive Players

Postby GSPODS » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 am

Justice Hog wrote:Each week, I believe each NFL team has to make 7 players on their active roster "inactive" for that week's game. Why the heck is that? If you make the active squad, why can't you play each and every week?

Does anyone know the origins of this "inactive player" rule and why it even exists?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

53 Player Roster.
45 Active Players.
8 Inactive Players.

The NFL Players Association and the NFL Management Council ratified a collective bargaining agreement extending until 1982, covering five football seasons while continuing the pension plan-including years 1974, 1975, and 1976-with contributions totaling more than $55 million. The total cost of the agreement was estimated at $107 million. The agreement called for a college draft at least through 1986; contained a no-strike, no-suit clause; established a 43-man active player limit; reduced pension vesting to four years; provided for increases in minimum salaries and preseason and postseason pay; improved insurance, medical, and dental benefits; modified previous practices in player movement and control; and reaffirmed the NFL Commissioner's disciplinary authority. Additionally, the agreement called for the NFL member clubs to make payments totaling $16 million the next 10 years to settle various legal disputes, February 25.

I cannot locate when this was changed to 45 active players or WHY ... :hmm:

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Any even more confusing it that I'm sure I saw Lloyd in street clothes in the first half, but playing in the 2nd half.

Apparently, you can change who is active and isn't at halftime...can you do it to replace an injured player (Lloyd for El) maybe?

Anyone know about that?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:22 pm

I can recall, somewhere in the back of my mind, that a certain coach and General Manager duo, from the early to mid 80's (whom shall remain nameless), were reputed to be storing talented players on the injured list, only to see them miraculously returned to full health and reactivated the moment they were needed... I seem to recall that many of these roster rules, as we know them today, relate to dealing with the behavior of those scoundrels.

Don't quote me, though...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:25 pm

fredp45 wrote:Any even more confusing it that I'm sure I saw Lloyd in street clothes in the first half, but playing in the 2nd half.

Apparently, you can change who is active and isn't at halftime...can you do it to replace an injured player (Lloyd for El) maybe?

Anyone know about that?

I think you're just mistaken.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:02 pm

oh really...I thought they showed B Lloyd in the first half talking to someone on the sidelines with his street clothes...maybe it was someone else then...

Return to Football 101