Nats sweep Mets...and next?

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff

Nats sweep Mets...and next?

Postby welch » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:46 am

During my mental vacation from the Redskins, the Nationals have faced the NL East-leading NY Mets three times here, winning:

- 13-4

- 10-9

- 9-6

That's 32 runs in 3 games; going back to last week's series at RFK, that hallowed hall of Redskin triumph, the Nats are averaging about 10 runs a game against the division leaders.

Last night:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02696.html

or read Barry S's story, beginning:

NEW YORK, Sept. 2 -- Somewhere in the deep, evil recesses of the minds of people who despise the New York Mets -- Hello, Philadelphia! -- someone might have drawn up a scenario that could have tortured all of Queens like this. It is, however, unlikely, because when the Mets awoke in September and looked at the latter part of their schedule, they must have said: "Six games against the Nationals in the last two weeks? We'll clinch it there."

But consider what has happened in those final two weeks. The Washington Nationals and Mets played six times, and the Nationals won five. The final indignity in a 10-day span full of them: Washington overcame a five-run deficit Wednesday night, using splendid relief work and a five-run fifth inning to stun the Mets, 9-6, completing a three-game sweep that could fundamentally change the October plans of so many people in Flushing.

Cheers for Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Church, Ronnie Belliard, Austin Kearns, young Jonathan A, Big Jon R, Willy Mo (strikeout or double or homer), Ayala, and the rest.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Hate to admit it, but I'm a Phillies fan. I'll be rooting for them when the Nats come to town.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:41 pm

Ah, well. So's my wife -- grew up in Wilmington. You're all forgiven.

But beware of any creeping sympathy for the Eagles and the Flyers!

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:04 pm

RIP Sean Taylor

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:50 pm

I've been wearing my Nats cap for weeks. Now I'll add a nasty grin.

Maybe switch to the Yankees hat next week???

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:57 pm

welch wrote:I've been wearing my Nats cap for weeks. Now I'll add a nasty grin.

Maybe switch to the Yankees hat next week???

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP Sean Taylor

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:28 am

And wait until next year!

- two or three effective starters...beginning of the season there were none. Think about Hill (worries), and young Lannan, and those fireball kidds hey've just drafted.

- Very deep bullpen. They carried the team to 73 wins. (^ innings from the starter, then, almost automatically, one RP for the 7th, 8th, and 9th.) Lost of pitching, lot of work, and they did it. Oh, and Jonathan Alba<can't spell the rest> looks very good.

- With Guzman returning, the Nats have some depth and a collection of .260 / .290 hitters in the midddle infield.

- Wish there was some backup for Zimmerman. Don;t wear him out, but, aside from his throwing, I think he's as good a fielder as Ken McMullen and Eddie Yost...and Yost is in my personal Hall of Fame.

- OF has no glittering stars, but at least four solid starters, plus a kid named Maxwell who might be better than any of them.

So...I can't wait until next year!

Wew, what a treat to have the Skins and the Nats back, really back.

###

Postby redskindave » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:18 am

I can't believe the Mets didnt make the playoffs, they were up by 7 games just two weeks ago
Hail To The Redskins!
Forty men together can't lose
Blaine Ohio home of Ohios biggest Redskin fan
Every man has to die, Not every man really lives

Return to Washington Sports Teams