Attention Caps Fans

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Site Admin

Attention Caps Fans

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Attention All Caps Fans... Scott and I will be starting a weekly Capitals podcast this week called THN on Ice.

It will be a one hour weekly show that reviews and previews games, has features and interviews with Capitals from all levels in the organization, and also includes some guest appearances from some Caps bloggers.

We will hopefully be launching the first show tomorrow or Friday, and Scott and I would like to have a mailbag segment where we field questions from you guys... so don't be shy... this thread is a place for you guys to submit some questions about the Capitals, and we will pick a few of the best questions and answer them each week.

I realize that it's short notice this week, but we will start a thread each week to get your questions. So feel free to post questions of any type... if you have questions for a certain player, we will do our best to get them answered and include them in the mailbag segment.

Because we realize that there are a lot of Redskin fans that might not yet even be hockey fans, we will also likely do a few segments about 'learning the game' both in print and in the podcasts. Stephen (Fios) did a piece called 'Getting Hooked' after attending a game, and we hope to do more pieces like that and maybe even get Stephen on the podcast to get it straight from the horse's mouth. Don't be shy about asking just hockey related questions in the mailbag either.

We will also be including public service announcements for the charity events that the Caps are putting on because, well, that's how we roll. Anything we can do to help charities publish an event is something that we're always excited about being able to chip in and help out with. So expect some segments, and some ad snippets of any and all Caps charity functions in the podcasts as well.

The Caps are an amazingly progressive organization, and we're excited to work with them. I'm sure it will take a few weeks to settle into a fully established format for the show, but we look forward to putting it together. With the level of access that the Caps entrust us with, we think that we can put together a pretty cool show for Caps fans.

So if you're a Caps fan, or a Redskin fan with a Caps question, or you're just a fan that's new to hockey, or even a Caps fan with a Redskins question... send it our way.

We'll let you know when the podcast is launched, and we hope you'll check it out and let us know what you think.

:feedback;
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:07 pm

The Capitals seemed to struggle quite a bit last year with consistency. Does it seem like things will be different this year, or do you see streaky performances in store for 2007-08?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 pm

The Capitals have had difficulty getting shots on goal in the last few games, even on power play opportunities. Should the team be more focused on shot quantity than shot quality? And would a "Crash The Net" offensive style be more suited to developing scoring chances?

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:24 pm

Is there a plan C? since we put a ton of shots at the net vs Pittsburgh this time, and still could not score?
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm

This isn't really a pod-cast question, but how did you get hooked on Washington hockey, BH? Being from Canada, I would think you would have an allegiance to another hockey team. Sorry if this is off-topic, I was just curious.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby skinsrule84 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:16 pm

Sweet.

The Caps should be very good this year.

Thanks Bosshog.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:18 pm

JSPB22 wrote:This isn't really a pod-cast question, but how did you get hooked on Washington hockey, BH? Being from Canada, I would think you would have an allegiance to another hockey team. Sorry if this is off-topic, I was just curious.

Not to speak for BH, but he's actually a Leafs fan. As a Canadian though, he's a fan of all things hockey and of Ovie in particular. That being said, I contacted ted leonsis last year to see if we could do some cross-promotions, and the next thing you know, BH and I are sitting in Caps headquarters meeting the big wigs, getting full media credentials and sitting in the press box. Hard not to be a fan of an organization that actually cares about their fans in the manner that the Caps do.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm

JansenFan wrote:
JSPB22 wrote:This isn't really a pod-cast question, but how did you get hooked on Washington hockey, BH? Being from Canada, I would think you would have an allegiance to another hockey team. Sorry if this is off-topic, I was just curious.

Not to speak for BH, but he's actually a Leafs fan. As a Canadian though, he's a fan of all things hockey and of Ovie in particular. That being said, I contacted ted leonsis last year to see if we could do some cross-promotions, and the next thing you know, BH and I are sitting in Caps headquarters meeting the big wigs, getting full media credentials and sitting in the press box. Hard not to be a fan of an organization that actually cares about their fans in the manner that the Caps do.

Makes sense to me! Thanks, JH.

Hail to the Redskins!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:52 pm

JSPB22 wrote:Makes sense to me! Thanks, JH.

Don't forget to thank JansenFan, as well, big guy. :wink:
VIVA SEXY!!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
JSPB22 wrote:Makes sense to me! Thanks, JH.

Don't forget to thank JansenFan, as well, big guy. :wink:

:oops:
What's funny is that, as I was typing that I was remembering him calling Jansen, Hansen, and me making the joke: should we call him HF from now on? That's where the H came from, not from Hog (Justice or Boss).

Hail to the Redskins!

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 pm

First of all, working with the Caps has been wonderful. It's been a very mutually beneficial venture and I think Scott hit on the key points already.

Secondly, you just probably can't even imagine how much hockey I watch. I can't explain it, I won't even try.

Thirdly, we cover the Capitals as a news outlet, and as far as I know, biases aren't allowed anyway. When I write about the Capitals, it's from a position of (hopefully) hockey expert, hockey fan... not necessarily a Caps fan. :up:

I will say that they've given me every reason to be a fan of the organization itself and the first class manner with which they treat EVERYBODY it seems.

Scott had some issues last week that just couldn't be helped or overcome, so we had to put off our first show for a week, but we'll have one this week. With games on Wednesday and Friday, we'll probably do the show between games and wrap one game and then preview the weekend's games. We'll also talk about Scott's blog topic.

We'll do a mailbag section as well, so if you have any questions or need to update one that you posted... please go ahead and do so.

~~~~~~

Re: Attention Caps Fans

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:02 pm

BossHog wrote:Attention All Caps Fans... Scott and I will be starting a weekly Capitals podcast this week called THN on Ice.
What is wrong with "Ice Hogades"? :lol:

I look forward to it. Sounds great BH! Congratulations!

My questions:

What division do you expect to be the toughest in the NHL this season?

Do you consider to have developed a rivalry with another team as fierce as those traditional rivalries among fans and teams such as Montreal, Toronto and Boston?
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:16 pm

For a little insigt on the Caps and their blogger relations, the Times has a pretty good piece, and the second link takes you to Ted Leonsis' blog. which adds a little insight and depth to the Times piece.

The Times piece by Tim Lemke

Ted's Take on the Times piece
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Was there any talk of keeping the "flying eagle" as part of the new uniform? Even though I think the new uniforms are an upgrade, but why not hold onto a part of Capitals history that delivered the franchise's only Eastern Conference crown?

What has been the team's reaction to the new uniform system? If the players were incredibly displeased with Reebok's product, would the franchise consider trying to go back to the old style?
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:16 am

On the uniform...I always liked the original red/white/blue uniform, which (a) suggested the Montreal Canadiens, and (b) is the proper color-scheme for any team from Washington.

Why the Canadiens? When I was young, the NBA and NHL seasons were "that cold space between the end of the Redskins season and the opening of the Nats' spring training. Since Washington had no big time team in either league, NBC (??) would broadcast a prime game into the Washington market. The hockey game was almost always the Canadiens against somebody...often the Rangers (a forgettable team in 1959). Montreal meant the two Richards, Boom-Boom Geofrion (sp), Jacques Plante and those guys.

(For historical accuracy, the town had an Eastern Hockey League team called the Presidents, and sometimes the Washington Lions, who played at Uline Arena. No TV contract. There had been an great late 40's NBA team called the Washington Capitols -- as in the building -- coached by Red Auerbach, but they were disbanded by about 1952. The Lions/Presidents evaporated about 1961)

It's good to see something like the old uniform come back. "Teal" just doesn't evoke the Nation's Capital.

As for the Boss's true heart-felt hockey loyalty, I always thought he was a Leafs fan with an appreciation for the game in general. [As JansenFan conformed, but I didn't read all the posts in the thread]

Return to Washington Sports Teams