Draft Rounds?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
FanFromAnnapolis

Draft Rounds?

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:57 am

I've noticed in recent articles/reports that players just 10 years ago were drafted in the 10th, 11th, and even 12th rounds. Since I'm still young and naive, it astounds me to think of having that many draft picks. At what point did the NFL start to trim down on the number of rounds in the draft and why would they do so?

Even if it was because of a shortened roster allowed for each team (which I'm guessing is the answer right now, in combination with the cap), why not still allow that many rounds for drafting? If the player is good enough then they can make the squad, and it would give other teams a lot more leverage to make for more interesting deals. Just my thoughts--but I would like to know why we've lost 5 rounds of the draft.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:17 am

well, i can't tell you when, but i think i can tell you why. most picks in those later rounds ended up not making the team. now, i'm sure some joker will follow up my post with something to the effect of 'hey, but what about so-and-so who was a 12th round pick and was superstar...". i would venture to guess that about 95% of those picks did not make the team. so i think teh nfl and the teams decided to cut the draft shorter in order to save time and money. all those players who would have gone in later rounds are now simply signed as free agents in the frenzied moments after the last pick in the 7th round.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:19 am

looks like it was 12 rounds in '92, 8 in '93, and finally 7 starting in '94.

http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/history/

Mmmm...donuts

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:24 am

i'm just full of information today.

http://www.theredzone.org/draft_history/

note the 17 rounds in 1976 or whatever. talk about a long weekend.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:41 pm

The draft used to be be two days long.

Of course, there were a lot fewer teams: the NFL really expanded...no, bloated...in the '90s. Carolina? Jacksonville? LA Rams move to St Louis? Houston to Memphis and a new Houston team? Browns move to Baltimore to replace the Colts. All bush-league towns, by the way...I mean, Jacksonville, but not LA? Charlotte?

Why not bring back the Scranton Bulldogs?

(Remember, before there was "Dallas week" we hated Balitmore, and Unitas, and Raymond Berry, and Gino Marchetti, and Lennie Moore, and all those over-hyped, over-rated Colts, who just happned to slaughter our Redskins in game after game. This is spoken as someone who, as a 6th grader, had to argue that Gine Brito was better than Marchetti, that Eddie Lebaron was as good as Unitas, that Jim Podoley was the equal of Lennie Moore...Aside from Brito, it was all heart and loyalty speaking.)

Yes, the late rounders had an impact, like Unitas: drafted, cut, and signed by Baltimore to fill in for their young star, George Shaw. Beatheard was the ultimate master, although George Allen was pretty good. Take a look at the rounds in which the Redskins drafted:

- Jeff Bostic

- JOE J (all caps, because he was so big :D )

- George Starke

- Donnie Warren (maybe 4th??)

- Mike Thomas

- Frank Grant

- Neil O.

- Monte Coleman

- Daryl Grant

All late round, or undrafted.

Notice that the draft shrinkage began with new universal contract, and real free-agency. There must be a connection.

(Apologies for the rant abut Baltimore...just thought I should honor the old rivalries.)

Mmmm...donuts

Postby joebagadonuts » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:40 am

also, there are stricter rules concerning teh roster. though i don't remember specifics, i do hear those old folks talking about how joe gibbs would stock players on the injured reserve until he needed them. that would lead to more players in the league. since you can't do that anymore, i imagaine that there are fewer players in the nfl (not counting expansion, etc.) making rosters.

Return to Football 101