Ahhhh -- Finally an answer to a major life dilemma....

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Photo Hog

Ahhhh -- Finally an answer to a major life dilemma....

Postby tazlah » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:08 pm

Okay, really, they have researched this! This IS scientific! Honest!

And that's how the cookie crumbles

LONDON, England -- When cookie-lovers open packages of their favorite snacks, some of the biscuits are often in bits.

Now scientists say they know why -- and it has little to do with the way cookies are packaged and transported.

Instead, laser tests carried out by British physicists found that cookies -- or biscuits, as they are known in Britain -- often develop "fault lines" a few hours after baking.

According to researchers at the University of Loughborough in Leicestershire, central England, as biscuits cool down after coming out of the oven, they pick up moisture around the rim which causes them to expand.

At the same time, moisture at the center makes them contract. The difference results in a build-up of strain forces that can pull a cookie apart.

Cracks appear that weaken cookies so they easily break apart when handled, moved or packaged.

Manufacturers try to tackle the problem by removing problem cookies before they reach store shelves. But many crumbly cookies still end up in shoppers' hands.

"We now have a greater understanding of why biscuits develop cracks shortly after being baked," said doctoral student Qasim Saleem, who led the research.

"This will help biscuit manufacturers adjust the humidity or temperature of their factory production lines to change the cooling process in such a way that the biscuits won't break up due to normal handling, and hence producing the perfect biscuit."

The scientists used an optical technique called "digital speckle pattern interferometry" to study the surface of cookies cooling to room temperature.

A paper on the research, entitled "A novel application of speckle interferometry for the measurement of strain distributions in semi-sweet biscuits," appeared Thursday in the journal Measurement, Science and Technology.

The original article is here.

Hmmm - so it really has NOTHING to do with the stockboys kicking the heck outa the boxes in the warehouses? Wow!

Now, my questions are: Who Exactly Funds these scientists? :hmm: And How do I get on board? :rock:

taz
redskinsmiley

+++

Postby NikiH » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:26 pm

LOL This sounds like a bunch of guys trying to get paid to open packages of cookies. I'd love to be on their payroll too! Maybe I could go to my local store and do "field research". LOL Too funny! Thanks for the laugh taz.
Go skins!
NikiH
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Hog

Postby General Failure » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:58 pm

There was a study a few years ago to find out where the gust of cold air came from in the shower. :shock:

+++

Postby NikiH » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:02 pm

And who volunteered to let people stand in their bathroom and figure this one out?? LOL Alot of money on stuff we don't nessecarily need to know.
Go Skins!
NikiH
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:07 pm

I want to do a study on the detrimental effects that drinking a lot of alcohol has on your next day's work performance. I intend to prove that my test group is definitely less sharp after a Sunday full of drinking beer, eating wings and watching football than they are the rest of the week.

Anyone want to volunteer to be in my Sunday test group when I get my grant?

:-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Photo Hog

Postby tazlah » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:32 pm

BossHog -- I thought You WERE the test group!!! LOL!!! ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO

-drinking

taz
redskinsmiley

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:35 pm

:celebrate: ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO :celebrate: ROTFALMAO
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby General Failure » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:13 pm

What does the placebo group get? Odouls, tofu burgers, soccer?

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:19 pm

LOL General Failure

Count me in Boss - but can it be any alcohol? ::grin::

Ok, Tazlah - I got the part about the cookies, but the stockboys do dropkick the Pringles cans across the warehouse - I am sure of it.

Not to mention they make sure to bring the stock in on the night when the hung over, surly stock clerk is on duty and has just had a massive fight with his wife and mistress.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:22 am

Tofu burgers? Blah... ask tazlah about them, I'm sure she could give you some recipe that she'll tell you will make them taste like meat.

But they won't.

They'll always be sponge.

And hey... soccer is the sport of kings... just 'cause North Americans don't like it... but that's a story for a whole other thread. :-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Photo Hog

Postby tazlah » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:47 am

Tofu Burgers!!! FINALLY, someone with some sense!!!! :celebrate:

taz
redskinsmiley

Hog

Postby General Failure » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:38 am

Okay, that's two for the placebo group. :)
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:44 pm

BossHog - are you trying to get Mondays off during football season? You may have to work Sat.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Return to The Lounge