The Official Retire #21 Thread

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Hog

The Official Retire #21 Thread

Postby WuSkinsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:55 am

If you do not agree, that is fine by me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I did not start this thread to debate the topic.

I believe the Redskins organization should retire his jersey #. I will send a letter to Redskins Park urging them to do so. I hope that all the other Redskins & Sean Taylor fans who agree with me will also send a letter to Redskins Park.

Here is the address:

Washington Redskins
21300 Redskin Park Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
After every game, every play & every highlight, I'll always remember #21. RIP Sean.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:59 am

I love Sean Taylor, and I wish the best for everyone involved, but I just don't see number retirement as a realistic option in remembering his legacy.

The only number the Redskins have ever retired is #33, perhaps there's another way to honor Sean.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

swine

Postby SkinMeAlive » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 am

If the Redskins haven't retired #28 or #80, it is hard to think or believe they would retire #21. I'm not opposed to the idea. I just don't see it as a realistic possibility.
Voltaire (1694-1778) "This is no time to make new enemies." (When asked on his deathbed to foreswear Satan.)

Postby SwingBringsThePain » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 am

It's not gonna happen. He didn't play long enough to warrant the retirement of his number. It's not like the Raiders retired Bo Jackson's number.
Shut the hell up.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:09 am

I agree that the Redskins should honor Sean Taylor, and there is no reason to think that they won't find a way to do so. I say let's give it some time and I think that a tasteful reaction will surface.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:16 am

I believe that, since the case will now be investigated as a homicide, it would be wise for the Redskins to hold off on any large, public honor of Sean Taylor, until the investigation is over.

Does anyone remember when the WWE "honored" Chris Benoit's legacy after his "death"?

The organization should proceed with caution and avoid a WWE-like PR move.

As of right now, I really like the way the Skins have handled the situation.

Perhaps naming a defensive award after him (within the Skins organization) would be a suitable way to honor his legacy when the smoke clears.

Hog

Postby joedondero1919 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 am

SwingBringsThePain wrote:It's not gonna happen. He didn't play long enough to warrant the retirement of his number. It's not like the Raiders retired Bo Jackson's number.

what a horrible comparison. bo jackson wasnt shot and killed. and he certainly did not bleed silver and black. he only played half the teams games cause he wanted to play baseball.

Postby JPFair » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:35 am

The best way to honor Sean Taylor is to go out every Sunday for the rest of the season and to dedicate each game to Sean Taylor. A black band around the jersey with #21, enshrinement in the ring of fame, a statue outside the stadium....I would prefer over a retired jersey.

I can't even think straight right now.
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

Hog

Postby xhadow » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:40 am

JPFair wrote:The best way to honor Sean Taylor is to go out every Sunday for the rest of the season and to dedicate each game to Sean Taylor. A black band around the jersey with #21, enshrinement in the ring of fame, a statue outside the stadium....I would prefer over a retired jersey.

I can't even think straight right now.
I can't either, I feel like I just lost a member of my family.
Well what more would you expect out of the "Worst Team" in the "Best Division"

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:46 am

I am for it. The man who turned his life around after the trouble he had been involved in and was murdered. ST could have had a pistol in his bedroom, but he didn't. He had a machete. That speaks highly of him to me. I'm sure it was part of his probation and he abided by it even now, even to his death. Honorable man IMO who deserves recognition for the transformation he went thru as a Redskin, on and off the field. It shows not just courage on the field, but off the field as well. He was headed down the wrong road and fought vs adversity and came out ahead.

RIP #21
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby WuSkinsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 am

SwingBringsThePain wrote:It's not gonna happen. He didn't play long enough to warrant the retirement of his number. It's not like the Raiders retired Bo Jackson's number.

How does Bo Jackson relate at all to this topic?

Once again, I'm not asking for everybody to agree with me on retiring #21.

And if the Redskins do not retire ST's #, I will not be upset. I simply started this thread for those who agree with me to simply write a letter to the organization expressing that wish.

I don't care if it's not a realistic possibility. Where is the harm in writing a simple letter?
After every game, every play & every highlight, I'll always remember #21. RIP Sean.

Postby pxalpha97 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 am

I don't see them retiring his jersey but they could change the numbers on the 20 yard line to 21. Something simple but it's a way to keep 21 on the field.

Such a sad day!!! RIP 21!

Hog

Postby roybus14 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 am

I don't think that now is the time to even be having this conversation. There are more important things that we as fans, this organization and most importantly his family have to deal with going forward. Retiring his number should be the least of anybody's worries right now......
Sean Taylor - 1983-2007 R.I.P.... Forever A Skin.....

Hog

Postby WuSkinsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:58 am

roybus14 wrote:I don't think that now is the time to even be having this conversation. There are more important things that we as fans, this organization and most importantly his family have to deal with going forward. Retiring his number should be the least of anybody's worries right now......

It is not a worry. It is just a wish to express my sorrow for the death of one of my favorite players. I don't see any harm in that.

I pray that Sean rests in peace and for the strength of his family.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:02 am

pxalpha97 wrote:I don't see them retiring his jersey but they could change the numbers on the 20 yard line to 21. Something simple but it's a way to keep 21 on the field.

Such a sad day!!! RIP 21!
the can't change the numbers due to nfl rules, but they can highlight the 21 yd lines, which i think would be a great idea.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute