Petition to fire Leonard Shapiro and Michael Wilbon of WP

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Hog

Petition to fire Leonard Shapiro and Michael Wilbon of WP

Postby ike075 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:27 am

http://petitionspot.com/petitions/firewilbonandshapiro

I signed it. I couldn't believe how inappropriate and insensitive his article was.

Others have been fired for much less. While all of Redskins nation mourns the lose of Sean Taylor....these guys want us to think we shouldn't be surprised and he probably had it coming.

Sheesh.....we got more support from Cowboys fans then these two $@%# who write for the Washington Post.

Ikester :evil:

Hog

Postby Charm City Sports » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:53 am

Yea I signed it too.

It is pretty pathetic.

They are just mad because Sean refused to talk to them when he was alive.

Now they take cheapshots when he can't defend himself.

They are nothing more than cowards.

Now they have the whole Redskin nation against them.

I have a feeling they won't be the first "writers" to expliot this tragic day to make a name for themselves.

Lower than low.
Words can't express the loss I feel in my heart.

R.I.P. # 21

We will always remember you.

Sean Taylor was known for his hard hits.

His hardest hit will always be the day that he was taken from us.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 am

Shapiro is a jackass. He should be fired. I love how many people ripped him in the comments section of his article. What a disgrace that guy is.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby jeremyroyce » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 am

I signed it.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:09 am

Signed. I wish I could sign twice. I have also decided to never read the online or print version of the Washington Post EVER again.
When I lived in the area as a child, I could hardly wait to read the entire paper on Sunday morning, especially the sports page.
Sadly, the presence of washed-up media whores such as Shapiro and Wilbon have made that pleasure a dim memory.
I'm amazed that they thought we'd allow their callous, inhumane attempts at journalism pass without comment.
This is a perfect example of cowardice in journalism.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

piggie

Postby MossIsBoss88 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:24 am

absinthe1023 wrote:Signed. I wish I could sign twice. I have also decided to never read the online or print version of the Washington Post EVER again.
When I lived in the area as a child, I could hardly wait to read the entire paper on Sunday morning, especially the sports page.
Sadly, the presence of washed-up media whores such as Shapiro and Wilbon have made that pleasure a dim memory.
I'm amazed that they thought we'd allow their callous, inhumane attempts at journalism pass without comment.

I agree with how horrible it is, but i wouldnt go as far as to say never to read the post ever again........
There are only two teams I root for in the NFL. The Skins, and whoever is playing Dallas.

It's okay that we drafted a Landry. After this season, the crygirls will have a new association with that name.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:30 am

MossIsBoss88 wrote:
absinthe1023 wrote:Signed. I wish I could sign twice. I have also decided to never read the online or print version of the Washington Post EVER again.

I agree with how horrible it is, but i wouldnt go as far as to say never to read the post ever again........

To each his own, of course. I've been displeased with their form of journalism as a whole for quite some time now. This is the sequoia log that broke the camel's back, I suppose.
With so many other sources available in print and online, I know I won't miss it in the least.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:01 am

I see where you're coming from, but if you look at the overall coverage of Sean's murder by the Post, most of the coverage has been fair. I posted an article in the USA Today thread that I thought was fair to Sean and attempted to shed some light on Sean the person and not just the player. But you're right about Shapiro being a media whore. The guy is an absolute disgrace and he should be dealt with harshly by the Post.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby forskins » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 am

Even though I'm not a skin fan, I signed it.

Spitting on a person's grave is NEVER accepted.

Hog

Postby Snout » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:15 am

I just went to the Post website and read Wilbon's column. I didn't see anything from Shapiro. I didn't see anything objectionable to anything Wilbon had to say. He was just telling it like it is, and if Sean had the benefit of hindsight, I suppose he would probably agree.

Wilbon was right. Escaping the hood is difficult. It wasn't a good idea for Sean to stay in Miami -- especially if he had to sleep with a machete in the bedroom.

May Sean's memory be eternal.

Hog

Postby roybus14 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:53 am

It's an emotional time right now. And this is just how things go sometimes. Whenever you have a tragedy such as this one, there are some things that are going to be said that may not be what people want to here right now.

These guys are entitled to their opinions. Whether they are right, maybe? Whether they are wrong, maybe? Wilbon touched on something that is prevelant in the African-American community especially with athletes. If you look at the trouble that alot of african-american athletes in the various sports have been in over the years, you will see a similar pattern of it being associated with "the hood" or those individuals from the hood.

Also look at how impressionable these guys are at a young age. Sudden fame, wealth, etc. It's alot for many of them to deal with and it's hard for them to disassociated themselves from those things in "the hood" just like that. Plus, the individuals in which they are involved with or get into altercations with don't care about what's right. Apparently someone at some time had a run-in with Sean and felt that they needed to get back at him by shooting him. It doesn't matter that Sean has matured, gotten past those things from his past and has turned his life around. Those individuals or that individual didn't care about that. All they saw was revenge or whatever and acted on it.

All Wilbon was saying is that those things from the past may have caught up with Sean. Should Wilbon be fired? That's not up to me to decide or make the final decision on. As insensitive as some may feel his comments were, it's his right in this country to free speech, like it or not. Those that have been around crime or the "criminal element" so to speak probably have a clearer understanding of what Wilbon is saying and how things from your past can creep up on you. IMO, it was retaliation for the ATV incident which happened several years ago. Since that incident, Sean has appeared to turn a corner in his life and put that stuff behind him. Unfortunately, it appears to have followed and wouldn't let him go....
Sean Taylor - 1983-2007 R.I.P.... Forever A Skin.....

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:44 am

Petition the Post to fire them?

ROTFALMAO

Who do you think edited and published the articles and chat in question?

The Post knows how 'controversial' their pieces were - they probably gave the guys raises for causing so much stir and making people come to the Post site (even if only to hate on the two of them).

The Post not only doesn't care - they likely were hoping someone would play the cards that were played.

Don't kid yourselves; The Post knew what they were doing... they just didn't care.

So why petition to have anyone fired from the Post - shouldn't you just be boycotting the Post entirely?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby ike075 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 am

I generally do not have issue with the Post and overall I enjoy reading their articles. I also do understand the shock value but as we have seen by many times before there are people who have been fired by media agencies (Imus, O&A, Michael Graham, Larry Krueger to name a few) that have crossed that line. I am shocked that the post would print those articles (especially on the same day he passed away) and perhaps I am extreme in this statement but I compare those articles as if a President was assassinated and a news reporter comes out the same day with an article saying while it is sad that it happened there were many policies that president made that angered people and ultimately caused his own death. It is irresponsible. Period.

Ikester :evil:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 am

I signed it, but I added the comment that Shapiro should be fired, but Wilbon only censured. I don't think Wilbon's words, while completely tactless, rose to the same level of offense as Shapiro's.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:19 am

Maybe they were giving a background of him? I don't know.. I don't feel you should call anyone a "thug" unless they call themselves that.

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute