Petition to fire Leonard Shapiro and Michael Wilbon of WP

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Hog

Postby VRIEL1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:56 pm

I have not read the article because by clicking on the site and reading it would give the WP more hits which I belive would make a case for them about controversy brings readers.

I will admit that when I first heard about Sean my first thought was "I wonder who he pissed off", or "I wonder who he owed money to?" I quickly thought of the 4 wheeler incident. I would presume someone got punished and paid a price and wanted to get even. Then I heard about the break in a couple of days prior and a kitchen knife found on his bed....his bed. That would appear to be a slight threat to me.

I can think of only three things to do in that case:
1. Call the police and get out to a motel or out of town. :wink:
2. Get a big dog. 8)
3. Purchase a hand gun. :roll: :twisted:

People are a product of their upbringing and environment. Not sure what type of upbringing Sean had becuase I was not there but his negatives were clearly a part of his environment. I can say I liked when the Redskins picked him but quickly faded when he seemed to good to go to the NFL's manditory camp. The DUI didn't help. I don't care how one twists the tail he was drunk and drove and should not have. Funny how money can get you out of anything. Then the 4 wheeler incident. Yes I would be upset if someone stole my property. Yes I would go looking for it. I just can't bring myself to take a gun along or someone with a gun and confront them. I can see confronting without a gun or if it's to dangerous then calling the police would be in order. The whole scenario screamed of Thug behavior. The only time this is not Thug behavior is if you live in WV and then it's Redneck behavior.

I think we all will agree that Sean seemed to have grown up. but as I heard on the radio today I doubt the people he associated with grew up. Which does not help his situation.

Poor timing? Yes. Perhaps just another African American writer voicing his frustrated oppinion about black society.

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm

If you have strangers in your house, your 18month old and your fiance was in there with you, what would you do. It all boiled down to that, all the other events mean nothing, he was in that situation at that time, he fought to protect his family. That is how I will remember him, and I will honor his memory thru that, and not how his past was.
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

Hog

Postby ike075 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:02 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

Police Theorize Taylor Was Victim of Botched Burglary
MIAMI, Nov. 28 -- Miami-Dade police said Wednesday they have no suspects in the Sean Taylor murder investigation and appealed for assistance from the public in solving the crime, saying evidence collected so far indicates that the Washington Redskins safety was a random victim of a botched burglary attempt.

Police have "no reason" to think the incident was anything other than an attempted burglary, one likely involving more than one intruder, Miami-Dade Police Department Director Robert Parker said at a news conference at police headquarters.

"There is nothing that indicates that this was something that involved Sean," Parker said. "We're more along the lines, or the thought process, that this was a random occurrence."

Now clearly all the facts have not been uncovered yet but this is exactly why I was saying these reporters need to shut up and let the cops do their job instead of dragging a murdered man name through the mud.

Ikester

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:15 am

riggofan wrote:Sorry, but this is lame. Free speech is one of the most cherished freedoms of our country.

If you don't like what's being written in the Post, don't buy it. Don't read it.

I'm just asking because I don't understand. How is it not free speech for the marketplace to influence the media? Isn't that free speech too? The first amendment rightly refers to the government not restricting free speech. While I have disagreed with almost every attempt for the marketplace to fire people for speaking their views, including in this case, I don't understand how free speech doesn't also protect their right to voice their views that's what should happen as well.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:36 am

SKINFAN wrote:If you have strangers in your house, your 18month old and your fiance was in there with you, what would you do. It all boiled down to that, all the other events mean nothing, he was in that situation at that time, he fought to protect his family. That is how I will remember him, and I will honor his memory thru that, and not how his past was.

That's pretty right on man. One could argue that because of his past whoever did this was tyring to get even? Or maybe because of the stolen property thing they wanted to play "get back"? I was waiting for the police to figure this out but will we ever know the truth? I don't know, but it boils down to the guy pulled his machete out vs. a gun and the machete lost. Unfortunately that machete symbolizes our guy :(
But I must confess, it made me VERY proud that he died defending his home and family, nuff said.

kazoo

Re: Petition to fire Leonard Shapiro and Michael Wilbon of W

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 pm

ike075 wrote:http://petitionspot.com/petitions/firewilbonandshapiro

I signed it. I couldn't believe how inappropriate and insensitive his article was.

Others have been fired for much less. While all of Redskins nation mourns the lose of Sean Taylor....these guys want us to think we shouldn't be surprised and he probably had it coming.

Sheesh.....we got more support from Cowboys fans then these two $@%# who write for the Washington Post.

Ikester :evil:

OK, Shapiro's a horses...kneecap. But I read the Wilbon article and I don't think that quote pulled out is an accurate representation of the point of his column. I thought Wilbon was actually pretty good and made valid points.

And for the record, I am NOT a Wilbon fan. In the many years I spent in the DC area I rarely read his articles because I thought he was a Bear fan who loved to lampoon the Skins at each and every opportunity. I can't say what his more recent Post writings are because I rarely read him for the reason I just stated.

But the title of this article caught my attention and I read it. I don't see the problem with it, can someone explain it to me?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Petition to fire Leonard Shapiro and Michael Wilbon of W

Postby 1niksder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
ike075 wrote:http://petitionspot.com/petitions/firewilbonandshapiro

I signed it. I couldn't believe how inappropriate and insensitive his article was.

Others have been fired for much less. While all of Redskins nation mourns the lose of Sean Taylor....these guys want us to think we shouldn't be surprised and he probably had it coming.

Sheesh.....we got more support from Cowboys fans then these two $@%# who write for the Washington Post.

Ikester :evil:

OK, Shapiro's a horses...kneecap. But I read the Wilbon article and I don't think that quote pulled out is an accurate representation of the point of his column. I thought Wilbon was actually pretty good and made valid points.

And for the record, I am NOT a Wilbon fan. In the many years I spent in the DC area I rarely read his articles because I thought he was a Bear fan who loved to lampoon the Skins at each and every opportunity. I can't say what his more recent Post writings are because I rarely read him for the reason I just stated.

But the title of this article caught my attention and I read it. I don't see the problem with it, can someone explain it to me?

I can't say I don't read Wilbon but based on what other said about the article I choice not to read it, I rarely read Shapiro or Whitlock so missing their's wasn't hard. Whatever I've read over the past few days that somehow saw fit to bring up Sean's past issues I've stopped reading at that point. It's easy to bring up what he did two-three years ago if that's all you have to go on, but it's the media and if I can find out things like...

The house that Taylor was killed in didn't have alarms but it use to have a bunch of pit bulls running around outside. Until a certain QB made having so many and being a professional football player would project the type of image he was changing. T

he man died protecting his family with a blade because the State said he couldn't own a gun. The guy was home alone with his family. He could have had a house full of people that could legally carry guns, but then what would the story be. His past wasn't and isn't the story right now and it should be left in the past.

He was shot at home with his family early on a Monday morning, how is that not surprising to a "sports reporter" when home is the last place you'd expect a NFL player (injured or not) to be during the NFL season. They took his death as a opportunity to dump on him one more time no matter how they try to spin it after the fact.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:15 pm

The only place for his past in the reporting of what heppened this week is in showing how far he had come.

The magnitude of his growth isn't fully explained if you don't have the 'before' to go along with the 'after.'

But that's it. Shouldn't go any further. And it's way too early to jump to any conclusions -- but you need to at least be prepared for what might come to light.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute