Nationals Trade Schneider, Church, For Lastings Milledge

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Junior Hog

Nationals Trade Schneider, Church, For Lastings Milledge

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Nats Trade for Outfielder Milledge
Schneider, Church Shipped to Mets

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 30, 2007; 2:04 PM

The Washington Nationals have completed a trade sending veteran catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church to the New York Mets for promising outfielder Lastings Milledge on Friday.

Both the Mets and the Nationals scheduled conference calls at 3 p.m. today to announce the deal. Schneider, in a telephone interview, said he spoke with Mets General Manager Omar Minaya, who confirmed the trade.

"It's done," Schneider said.

The move brings the dynamic, 22-year-old Milledge -- who has hit .257 with 11 homers in 350 major league at-bats over parts of two seasons in the majors -- to Washington, where he will likely solve one of the Nationals' most significant problems, center field. Milledge was one of the most discussed prospects in the game last winter, when the Mets were reluctant to move him.

But New York, which suffered a September collapse that left them out of the postseason, was also desperate for a defensive catcher. Schneider, who turned 31 this week, fills that need.

Church, 29, hit .271 with 35 homers in parts of four seasons with the Montreal-Washington franchise. His departure means the Nationals' outfield for 2008 is likely set, with Wily Mo Pena in left, Milledge in center and Austin Kearns in right.

The Nationals will also shave payroll. Schneider was due to earn $9.8 million over 2008 and 2009, and Church is eligible for arbitration for the first time this offseason. Milledge is likely to earn less than $500,000 in 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01286.html
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 pm

I'm saddened in that Schneider was one of my faves. He personified everything this team was and was truly the unofficial captain of the team.

He, more than anyone, deserved to be in Curly W regalia when the new park opens.

Milledge? He's never wow'ed me any time I watched the Mets. Seems like a lot of unproven hype at this stage in his career.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 pm

RedskinsFreak wrote:Milledge? He's never wow'ed me any time I watched the Mets. Seems like a lot of unproven hype at this stage in his career.

Milledge is an immediate upgrade in center. Even if he never improves one bit, which is highly unlikely, the trade will be a wash.

I liked Schneider as much as the next guy, and I was a big Church backer. But the fact is these two guys weren't going to get any better, and aren't going to fit in the long-term plan. Jumping on such a young, talented player like Milledge made a ton of sense.

Between Zimmerman, Milledge, Flores and Wily Mo Pena, the Nats are going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Milledge is an immediate upgrade in center. Even if he never improves one bit, which is highly unlikely, the trade will be a wash.

I liked Schneider as much as the next guy, and I was a big Church backer. But the fact is these two guys weren't going to get any better, and aren't going to fit in the long-term plan. Jumping on such a young, talented player like Milledge made a ton of sense.

Between Zimmerman, Milledge, Flores and Wily Mo Pena, the Nats are going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.

I agree with most of this, although I'm not convinced by Willy Mo, and Milledge is another question mark...although most definitely an improvement over Nook Logan (or anyone else) who played CF before September.

OTOH, in a year or two, when Justin Maxwell is ready, the Nats will be right up there.

Picking up Lo Duca was a good move. In spite of Schneider's batting average, I don't think the pitching would have survived without his game-calling.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Lastings Milledge + Elijah Dukes + Washington DC Area = Felonies
XVII XXII XXVI

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Steve Spurrier III wrote:
RedskinsFreak wrote:Milledge? He's never wow'ed me any time I watched the Mets. Seems like a lot of unproven hype at this stage in his career.

I agree with you. Yes, there are some questions about Milledge, but this is a very low risk trade for the Nationals. At best Church is a 4th outfielder. Schneider, while skilled at handling a pitching staff, has deteriorating defensive skills and is a poor hitter. To give up an aging catcher and a 4th outfielder for a potential all-star is trade that you make every time. People also like to mention character when it comes to Milledge, but Acta was with the Mets when Milledge was there so he knows first hand what the situation was and I would imagine that his opinion was weighed heavily when making this deal. Another thing about Milledge is that he is only 22 years old (turns 23 in April), so I'm very surprised that the Mets were stupid enough to make this trade.
Suck and Luck

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Another thing about Milledge is that he is only 22 years old (turns 23 in April),

Two gains in the trade:

- Milledge is far better tha having "nobody" in center

- Church is 29. He is what is is...which isn't bad, but, as mentioned, he's a competent fourth outfielder. A genuine player, but not a star-in-the-making.

However, I never noticed Milledge here in NY. Now Melky Cabrera, on the other hand... :lol:

Return to Washington Sports Teams