Razorbacks to Consider

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Razorbacks to Consider

Postby gregory smith » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:58 am

No, I haven't given up on this season, but I just read on another message board that we should consider Marcus Monk, wide receiver from Arkansas in April's draft. I am a longtime (1971) Redskin fan and a casual Razorback fan. I live about 25 miles from Marcus Monk's home town. He played basketball and football at East Poinsett County in northeast Arkansas, (only miles from Ray Browns home) I have seen him play basketball maybe a dozen times due to the fact that he was in the same conference as my son. We were only a 3-A school and had no football program, so all of my football opinion comes from watching him as a Razorback. I have seen him play as a Razorback only twice (excluding television of course) Monk is a Gibb's kind of person. From a character standpoint he stands without blemish. Made great grades in high school, and all the teachers and coaches loved him. As a basketball player he was obviously a tremendous athlete and a threat to score from anywhere on the floor, but he seemed to play to the level of competition at times. There were games he could have scored 50 but settled for 20. As a Razorback it is true he has the hands, but I have wondered at times about his willingness to take the punishment crossing the middle. With a good combine he might go pretty early.

Of course the best player in college football is Darren McFadden. Period. I don't think the Skins have enough picks or anyone on the roster that could get us in position to draft him though.

Next is Felix Jones, great runner with blazing speed. Barry Switzer said he was one of the best backs he had seen and the Sooner's were foolish for letting him get out of Oklahoma. If we are forced to make hard decisions because of the salary cap, he could possibly fit somewhere.

And last but not least is Peyton Hillis FB/HB type. He is the Razorbacks Chris Cooley. He is money, just an outright playmaker. Not big enough, not fast enough? don't believe it, incrediible hands, great blocker, a bonifide Redskin type.

The thing that worries me most about these guys is Jerry Jones was a Razorback and I assure you they are on his radar.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 pm

Moved
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 pm

What does any of this have to do with fantasy football?

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 pm

aside from the reciever Monk we would never go after or draft Felix Jones or the razorbacks verision of Cooley.. we are set at both those positions why in the world we would draft them

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:29 pm

I wasn't necessarily saying draft these guys, but if they are available at the right place and time you have to consider it. Who effectively backs up Cooley, what if he went down for the year? I'm not talking star player here, I'm talking great depth, special teamer, and a real Redskin type. Later rounds, I'd jump on him. As far as Felix, Clinton is Clinton, I love him, but he is old beyond his years. He is a high mileage guy that has taken a million hits. If we can't get him reworked in a more cap friendly deal, why not consider Felix Jones along with the very cap friendly Ladell Betts? For me the priority has to be OL and DL but I still am a proponent of taking the best available athlete.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 pm

gregory smith wrote:What does any of this have to do with fantasy football?

Well with three games left in this season, a free agency period to come and go, and cap numbers to look at it's hard to tell who will and who won't be on the team when the draft rolls around. That means any talk of what player to draft is fantasy considering they don't even know when they'll be pick. In other words it's all fantasy at this point.

That's why this forum was created
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 pm

1niksder wrote:

Well with three games left in this season, a free agency period to come and go, and cap numbers to look at it's hard to tell who will and who won't be on the team when the draft rolls around. That means any talk of what player to draft is fantasy considering they don't even know when they'll be pick. In other words it's all fantasy at this point.

That's why this forum was created

Plus he could always, ya know, read the forum description:

Want to play GM? Fanasy Football / Office Pool Chat / Trade Possibilities / Mock Drafts - Do it here!
RIP Sean Taylor

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:16 pm

I have been to the fantasy football section and there are a bunch of posters there who are very serious about potential draft picks for the Washington Redskins :shock: Try telling them its not really what we are going to do next year :lol:

I'm glad that that section was created - there are a lot of people living in the fantasy world :wink:
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 pm

If I failed to place this in the correct forum I am truly sorry. I never look or post in any forum except hogwash, so it was my mistake. I just thought since I am familiar with the Monk kid some might find it interesting. I would beg forgiveness, but, "ya know", FIOS It just ain't in me, "ya Know" Just block this topic or me or whatever works for you.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:11 pm

gregory smith wrote:If I failed to place this in the correct forum I am truly sorry. I never look or post in any forum except hogwash, so it was my mistake. I just thought since I am familiar with the Monk kid some might find it interesting. I would beg forgiveness, but, "ya know", FIOS It just ain't in me, "ya Know" Just block this topic or me or whatever works for you.
No one chastised you, had you simply taken the time to read the forum description, you could have avoided this:

But you didn't, you chose to take the aggrieved route, thus the reply.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Is Marcus Monk a nephew or other relative of Art Monk? I thought I read that somewhere a year or so ago...
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:Is Marcus Monk a nephew or other relative of Art Monk? I thought I read that somewhere a year or so ago...

No mention of that in his bio
RIP Sean Taylor

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Felix jones is who I like. Darren Mcfadden will go in the first two picks.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Peyton Hillis would be great for the Redskins.

His resume is impressive; lead the team in catches as a sophomore and maybe as a senior. Was a major ball carrier as a frosh before two young men named Darren McFadden and Felix Jones showed up. Actually was the opening day starter at RB as a sophomore before the frosh went off. A short yardage ball carrier who could replace Mike Sellers and probably be more effective immediately. Returned kickoffs as a frosh. Returned punts as a sophomore and junior. And, finally, he is an excellent blocker.

Monk would be good for us, but I'd rather draft another lineman for either side and just sign a FA.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Return to General Manager's Office