Lance Briggs Part II

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Lance Briggs Part II

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:42 pm

I was reading this piece about Lance Briggs this afternoon:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

Basically says he's planning to test the FA market next year.

Just curious if you guys think the Skins will take a run at him again? Especially with Rocky likely out next year.

And secondly, any opinions on Briggs after seeing him play this year?

piggie

Re: Lance Briggs Part II

Postby Assasin atm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:50 pm

riggofan wrote:I was reading this piece about Lance Briggs this afternoon:

Just curious if you guys think the Skins will take a run at him again? Especially with Rocky likely out next year.

I think it would be a good pickup for us especially since rocky might not even play next year and he might be slowed up a little after that as well so why not throw some money at Briggs. Unless he wants too much and it would cut into new d-line money or it would keep form addressing other needs but i think lb is a need unless Blades proves he can step in that roll and play consistantly well.
VOTE FOR A HUGE REDSKIN FANETTE BREAST AUGMENTATION FINALIST

wjfk website
MAKE MY BODY A HOTTIE CONTEST
HOTTIE #5

ch1

Re: Lance Briggs Part II

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Assasin atm wrote:
riggofan wrote:I was reading this piece about Lance Briggs this afternoon:

I think it would be a good pickup for us especially since rocky might not even play next year and he might be slowed up a little after that as well so why not throw some money at Briggs. Unless he wants too much and it would cut into new d-line money or it would keep form addressing other needs but i think lb is a need unless Blades proves he can step in that roll and play consistantly well.

Where does you get the news that Rocky may be out next year?

piggie

Postby Assasin atm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:17 pm

Last i heard the other day unless more news came out was his injury in most cases take atleast a year to get back on the field.

wjfk website
HOTTIE #5

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:33 pm

The days of chasing high-priced FAs are over. The 'Skins are more than one player away from contending with the top teams in the league on a consistent basis.
Briggs will command top dollar, and that money could be much better spent in acquiring young, solid talent all along the offensive line and at DE.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

piggie

Postby Assasin atm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:49 pm

I would think the skins would release Mark Brunell and Brandon Lloyd so that will free up some space unless theres a penalty that would be in effect for next season if they did do that.

wjfk website
HOTTIE #5

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:02 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:The 'Skins are more than one player away from contending with the top teams in the league on a consistent basis

Hmm, we are 7-7 with half our team. We have 7 wins, 6 close losses to teams including Green Bay, Dallas, Tampa Bay and have been blown out once.

Your thinking is we SHOULDN'T go for any top players so we have more money so we can spread the money across more mediocre players to blend in with our players coming back. And that will move us OUT of our mediocre record and into competing with top teams.

Wow, I'm impressed. We really need thinking like the observations in this post on board to take the team to the next level, I heard the GM job is open. Think about it. :up:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:57 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
absinthe1023 wrote:The 'Skins are more than one player away from contending with the top teams in the league on a consistent basis

Hmm, we are 7-7 with half our team. We have 7 wins, 6 close losses to teams including Green Bay, Dallas, Tampa Bay and have been blown out once.

Your thinking is we SHOULDN'T go for any top players so we have more money so we can spread the money across more mediocre players to blend in with our players coming back. And that will move us OUT of our mediocre record and into competing with top teams.

Wow, I'm impressed. We really need thinking like the observations in this post on board to take the team to the next level, I heard the GM job is open. Think about it. :up:

Firstly, I've seen real GMs, and I'm no GM :lol:

Secondly, I think you partially misinterpreted my post.

I stand by the fact that the 'Skins are more than one player away from consistently being among the best teams in the league.
Name me a single, available player at any position of need that could singlehandedly have the 'Skins record at 12-2 or better this year.....
I don't think Lance Briggs (or any FA, for that matter) could have done that for this team.

A large part of the reason that close games have been lost is that key starters have gone down and have not (in many cases) been replaced with quality backups. A quality NFL team requires depth at key positions, especially along the lines. Identifying and retaining this depth is especially important in the era of the salary cap.

Any team can put together a decent starting lineup by overpaying frontline guys (ex. - the Redskins of the past several years), but this is done at the expense of depth.
It's true that the occasional "diamond in the rough" (ex.- Stephon Heyer) can be found on the cheap, but that's becoming less common today as scouting continues to improve and everyone has access to film on any given player.

It's unfortunate that quality backups look like "mediocre players" in comparison to flashy FA starters in the eyes of the average fan with a fantasy football mentality, but NFL teams must make a firm committment to balance and depth in order to succeed consistently. Look no further than the Steelers and the Patriots for good examples of this.

In my opinion, the 'Skins need to focus more on rebuilding the core of the team from the inside out (i.e. acquiring quality depth along both lines) than they do in chasing down the hot free agent of the moment.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Or perhaps we could try building through the draft instead of signing more high priced free agents. We have a lot of holes to fill for next season and it's going to be very difficult to fill them all through free agency.
Suck and Luck

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 pm

Rocky will be back next year. Its not like he snapped his ACL. I beleive it was the mcl.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:48 pm

Make a run at Ed Reed, right now we need a safety folks. 37 is a L.I.A.B.I.L.I.T.Y and I'm afraid the Vikes know it; these next two games are really gonna make us miss 21 even more because of his run stuffing, Sean would just cover soo much ground and stuff RB's, if Peterson or Chester T. get a good lick on 37 he might not finish the game.
HAIL

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:01 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Rocky will be back next year. Its not like he snapped his ACL. I beleive it was the mcl.

He tore both the ACL and the MCL. What was reported was a 9-12 month recovery and most players are not back to 100% until about 18 months.
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:02 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Make a run at Ed Reed, right now we need a safety folks. 37 is a L.I.A.B.I.L.I.T.Y and I'm afraid the Vikes know it; these next two games are really gonna make us miss 21 even more because of his run stuffing, Sean would just cover soo much ground and stuff RB's, if Peterson or Chester T. get a good lick on 37 he might not finish the game.

Is Ed Reed a free agent?
Suck and Luck

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Rocky will be back next year. Its not like he snapped his ACL. I beleive it was the mcl.

He tore both the ACL and the MCL. What was reported was a 9-12 month recovery and most players are not back to 100% until about 18 months.

Ok that is a different story, wow.

Briggs will command a hefty salary.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:17 am

Last report I heard was both ACL/MCL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessioni ... nfirm=true

McIntosh tore both the ACL and MCL in the first quarter of Sunday's 22-10 victory over the New York Giants. An MRI on Monday confirmed the diagnosis, and he will have reconstructive surgery in the coming weeks.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to General Manager's Office