Lance Briggs Part II

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:09 pm

I guess my original question though was more do you think the Skins WILL pursue Briggs rather than SHOULD they?

And secondly, do you think Briggs would be a good addition? Is he worth the money he'll command?

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:22 pm

riggofan wrote:I guess my original question though was more do you think the Skins WILL pursue Briggs rather than SHOULD they?

And secondly, do you think Briggs would be a good addition? Is he worth the money he'll command?

No.
No and no.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:05 am

riggofan wrote:I guess my original question though was more do you think the Skins WILL pursue Briggs rather than SHOULD they?

Yes I think they will. Not only is Rocky out for most of next season, but Marcus Washington doesn't look like the player that he used to be. Should they? That's a different story. It's too early to say yes to that. No doubt we need a starting caliber linebacker, but there will be other ways to get that (draft, lower priced free agents, etc.)
Suck and Luck

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:55 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Yes I think they will. Not only is Rocky out for most of next season, but Marcus Washington doesn't look like the player that he used to be. Should they? That's a different story. It's too early to say yes to that. No doubt we need a starting caliber linebacker, but there will be other ways to get that (draft, lower priced free agents, etc.)

Blades was drafted this year though not as high as Rocky, and as played well when given the chance. He'll be starting the last two games and that will go a long way in determining what the Redskins will do in the off season at LB. If Blades can handle the job then they'll just need to find a guy to hold down one side until Rocky gets back, remember Rocky didn't "get it" until year two. If it turns out that HB is the better off just holding down the spot then I could see them making a run at Briggs.

Washington will be the first stop Briggs makes once the market opens. I'm sure he'll also point out that if "the Danny" signs him then he can say see I got Briggs without giving up picks and still have McIntosh.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 am

1niksder wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Blades was drafted this year though not as high as Rocky, and as played well when given the chance. He'll be starting the last two games and that will go a long way in determining what the Redskins will do in the off season at LB. If Blades can handle the job then they'll just need to find a guy to hold down one side until Rocky gets back, remember Rocky didn't "get it" until year two. If it turns out that HB is the better off just holding down the spot then I could see them making a run at Briggs.

Washington will be the first stop Briggs makes once the market opens. I'm sure he'll also point out that if "the Danny" signs him then he can say see I got Briggs without giving up picks and still have McIntosh.

Blades is a middle linebacker. He is undersized already. I think he can excel at the MLB spot not the weakside backer. Blades is more instinct and solid tackling. Ideal for MLB.

Blades and Fletcher are of the same mold. It does not affect the fact that we need an outside linebacker no matter how well Blades plays.

I am hoping Godfrey can step in and fill the hole for now at OLB. Either on Strong or weakside.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 am

I think it might be necessary to go after him. Its not a breathtaking FA class anyway. We gotta address LB and probably corner as well. Try and address O in the draft, cuz there aint much in FA.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:38 pm

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/01 ... ested.html

Here we go again...My favorite part of this is the opening "word out of Washington"

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Several league sources believe the Redskins will "heavily pursue" impending free agent Lance Briggs this offseason.

Briggs makes a lot more sense in Washington now that Rocky McIntosh is likely to miss the start of next season. When McIntosh returns from his knee injuries, he could be moved to the strong side. The 49ers are also expected to go after Briggs, who can't be franchise tagged again this year.

http://www.rotoworld.com
#21 = Forever in our hearts

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:10 pm

We do not have a lot of holes to fill as some have suggested - we need to add depth to both lines - we need to address our secondary and we may need to ascertain if Lloyd or Mix can be our "big" WR that can take some pressure off Moss

We do need to find a really good DE and drafting one that can be an instant success is impossible - that position takes years to be any good - same for a really good CB - those are the only 2 positions I might go after people - we do need to get some young guys through the draft or as inexpensive FAs - we do not have a lot of "holes" here - we need quality depth and players who fit the team we have.

We saw in the last few games what can happen when we play with intensity.
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:09 pm

SkinsJock wrote:We do not have a lot of holes to fill as some have suggested - we need to add depth to both lines - we need to address our secondary and we may need to ascertain if Lloyd or Mix can be our "big" WR that can take some pressure off Moss

We don't have that many holes, but especially on the defensive side we are looking at having to add around 3-5 new starters. We likely are looking at another starting defensive tackle, defensive end, weak side linebacker, cornerback, and possibly safety. Offensively we need another starting receiver to complement Moss and depth on the oline. If Rock leaves we are looking at a replacement at kick returner as well. That's a lot to fill in one off- season.
Suck and Luck

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 pm

I can't remember the specifics, but can the Bears put the franchise tag on him this year? I think I remember something about Briggs and Asante Samuels working some kind of deal with their respective teams so they couldn't be franchised in 2008. I could be wrong, though.

swine

Postby Redskins913 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Bears can't tag him. But we have to go after him.

Hog

Postby Snout » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 am

I hope we do not go after Briggs. That would be the dumbest decision imaginable. We need a pass-rushing DE, we need depth in the secondary, we need a big physical receiver, and we need more depth -- a lot more depth -- on both the OL and DL. We do NOT need another star linebacker. Please, please, please, Redskins: Address your real needs and let this opportunity pass.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:52 am

I have a bad feeling about Briggs. I hope the team doesn't go after him.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby BearSkins » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Redskins913 wrote:Bears can't tag him. But we have to go after him.

Bears tagged him last year on the understanding that they would let him become an UFA this year, I believe. I don't see him back with the Bears, sadly, but supposedly the 49ers are willing to pay large $$ for him - Briggs is a Cal native.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Return to General Manager's Office