Judge's ruling on NFL draft

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
FanFromAnnapolis

Judge's ruling on NFL draft

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:35 am

I'm just wondering what the general political thoughts on the judges ruling (which may get appealed before the draft) that potential NFL players can enter the draft regardless of age. Are players like Clarret really being treated unjustly; and if they are, is it the government's job to tell the NFL what to do?

I'll write more of my own thoughts if the thread actually picks up, but initially my thoughts turn towards the fact that it's the NFL's job to run the NFL. As it is, I agree with the NFL's rule on age. Getting the government involved takes away the NFLs right to run their business the way that they want, in my opinion.

What are the other thoughts on the judges ruling?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:58 am

i agree with the league too. clarett is a whiny little biznitch.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:57 pm

i wonder what everyone's thoughts would be on the subject if the applicant (in this case, clarett) were suing the nfl under different circumstances. i mean, what if clarett were an upstanding young man (okay, we're really stretching the imagination here, but bear with me) who perhaps is not well-off, and wants to begin supporting his family as soon as he can. so he sues the nfl to enter the draft. i wonder if people would look at the situation differently.

i think much of the public opinion on the matter is driven by the fact that clarett is a whiney little biznitch, and we all know he's suing only because he can't keep his nose clean, and he's as dumb as a bag of rocks. if he doesn't get suspended, he's still at osu.

i personally think that this whole thing is the nfl's fault. this is the 21st century, and money rules the sports world. this was only a matter of time, and the nfl should have been prepared for it. they should have put a whatever language was necessary to block underclassmen from entering the nfl into the cba. as much as i hate to see clarett and other young college/high school players get in, i'm not sure the nfl has a legal leg to stand on. let's hope that they alter the cba as soon as possible, so this will be just a one-time deal.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:41 pm

I know when I was 16 I applied for a job at a company that installed gas mains and I was told that due to OSHA regulations, they could not hire anyone under 18. I know that you can't work until you are 14 in the state of Maryland. I don't see why this is different.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:28 pm

I think the big issue is how much money is involved, Jansenfan. The government never seems to care too much what small businesses do (unless it's pretty egregious), but when you're talking millions of dollars then it seems they feel the need to get involved to make sure justice happens.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:34 pm

My brother-in-law was terminated for heading a crew that had two OSHA regulation violations in a 6 month period. The government gets involved in many labor-related issues, they just don't get the publicity that the NFL does.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Return to The Lounge