draft predictions

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

draft predictions

Postby Jeremy81 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:46 pm

i know it's early, but it's still fun. and since our season's over, it's not inappropriate...

there's a good chance derrick harvey or calais campbell could fall to the 21st pick. then we can get a tall, strong WR in the second round...hopefully an adarius bowman or keenan burton. with our third pick, we gotta get the best available DB, preferably safety...then we can start snagging OL and LB's

of course, this is all assuming we make no moves in FA...which i'm hoping for

your predictions?

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:13 am

I know we need Defensive line help, but I expect the Skins to draft Kenny Phillips Saftey from Miami. I just have a feeling.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

I know we need Defensive line help, but I expect the Skins to draft Kenny Phillips Saftey from Miami. I just have a feeling.

While I like the sentiment, I think we have much bigger holes to fill on the defensive line.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:

While I like the sentiment, I think we have much bigger holes to fill on the defensive line.

:hmm: We do have more than just one pick this year, right?

I'd love to get Phillips too, but I think he'll be long gone by the time the Skins are on the clock.

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:19 pm

I really dont see this team going out and drafting a safety in the 1st round.. I believe we will make a move for a safety only after many other positions of need are filled 1st

^^^^^^^

2008 Draft thread

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 pm

(move to draft room once created)

My question to all you football guru's is where the skins draft at this year, what picks we have and lastly what you feel we need. Here is my feelings.

O line depth #1
Cornerback/Dback #2
Linebacker Depth #3
D Lineman #4
QB #5
WR #6

I still would like to see us bring in the RB we had last off season (M. Mason) if he's still available. That kid is good.

Fire in the Sky

Re: 2008 Draft thread

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:02 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I still would like to see us bring in the RB we had last off season (M. Mason) if he's still available. That kid is good.

You got that right, that kid is good. He's currently on the practice squad and will certainly get another chance. I put this in the Portis thread:

Redskins.com wrote:
Mason signed with the Redskins as an undrafted free agent in April 2007...Finished his two years at Youngstown State amassing 2,739 yards rushing on 478 carries and scored 31 touchdowns...In 2006 as a senior, he was named consensus first-team Football Championship Subdivision All-American...Named to the Walter Camp Foundation, AFCA, The Sports Network, and the Associated Press All-America teams...Named Gateway Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year to go along with being named first-team all Gateway Conference...Set a single season school record rushing for 1,847 yards on 302 carries and 23 touchdowns...As a junior in 2005, he was named Gateway Football Conference?s Newcomer of the year after transferring from Illinois...Earned second-team All-Conference honors...Finished the season with 892 yards on 176 carries and eight touchdowns...Prior to transferring to Youngstown State, Mason attended the University of Illinois for two seasons...As a sophomore in 2004, he saw action in eight games mainly appearing on special teams...As a freshman in 2003, he appeared in eight games with one start...He finished the year rushing for 214 yards on 64 carries...Attended Georgetown Prep in Maryland...He is the all-time leading rusher (5,700 yards) in Maryland high school history...He also is the all-time leader in career touchdowns and points scored...Named Area player of the Year by The Gazette his junior and senior seasons...As a senior was named Metro Offensive Player of the Year by The Washington Post...

Mason plays special teams and he is quick. Rock is certainly a core Skin, but if he did go for the money, Mason would fill in nicely. I almost hate to say it, but I think Mason would be better than Rock, at RB and KR.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:11 pm

The Skins will sign most if not all of the PT players to 1-2 contracts so they can be at the park working out during the off-season. I'm sure Mason will be part of the group that will sign in the next few weeks
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm

We don't need to be spending another first round pick on a defensive back. The defensive line has been ignored for long enough. We need to get better/tougher in the trenches.
Suck and Luck

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 pm

I'd say that our needs would run something like this, and how I'd imagine we'd take care of each:

(1) D-line (draft, possibly a big-fa pickup)
(2) O-line youth / depth (fa / lower draft rounds)
(3) Big / possesion WR (mid-draft)
(4) Cornerback (fa / draft)
(5) LB depth (fa)

This year's wide receiver FA group is sizeable, as is the linebacker group, so I may be wrong on saying that we'll draft to get that big WR. There are some intriguing FA prospects for defensive line, making me think that Danny might splash on one, but to be honest I see us using our first round pick on the best d-lineman available--unless they really get eaten up high in the draft.

The good news is that DT's tend to be the defensive "quarterbacks" in the draft, and what we really need is a good (but BIG) DE pass rusher. We have speed in Carter and Wilson--it'd be great to get someone who has a physique that is closer to Philip Daniels or Renaldo Wynn. . .but with more talent and youth and fewer injuries. :lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I'd say that our needs would run something like this, and how I'd imagine we'd take care of each:

(5) LB depth (fa)

I generally agree with this, but I'd move CB above WR. WR may actually not be such a priority IF Mix develops as they think he might. I'd also think about getting a young FB to groom, since Sellers is getting a bit older.

Definitely DL, specifically DE. We've ignored DE in the draft for too long, and Daniels is 35. Time to get a replacement. Can you imagine if Carter actually played with another lineman that could passrush (not taking anything away from Chris Wilson, who may turn out to be fantastic).

I'd love to get a big DE, who can slide inside for the 3rd down passrush...so we'd have Carter, DT, new DE, and Wilson as the 4 linemen. Not quite Strahan/Tuck/Umenyiora, but...it'd do.

Most definitely, offensive and defensive line.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I'd say that our needs would run something like this, and how I'd imagine we'd take care of each:

(5) LB depth (fa)

I generally agree with this, but I'd move CB above WR. WR may actually not be such a priority IF Mix develops as they think he might. I'd also think about getting a young FB to groom, since Sellers is getting a bit older.

Definitely DL, specifically DE. We've ignored DE in the draft for too long, and Daniels is 35. Time to get a replacement. Can you imagine if Carter actually played with another lineman that could passrush (not taking anything away from Chris Wilson, who may turn out to be fantastic).

I'd love to get a big DE, who can slide inside for the 3rd down passrush...so we'd have Carter, DT, new DE, and Wilson as the 4 linemen. Not quite Strahan/Tuck/Umenyiora, but...it'd do.

Most definitely, offensive and defensive line.

Some of the mock drafts I've seen have Calais Campbell going around pick 19 or 20, so hopefully we will be in a position to draft him. He has the ability to get to the qb, but also has the size to stand up against the the run.
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Where are we picking anyways? Do we know yet? We should.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Where are we picking anyways? Do we know yet? We should.

21st
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Ok cool. That could work out in our favor b/c if there is a player there that people want, we may be able to trade out and pick up a 2nd rounder or a 1st round in '09 and an '08 2nd something like that.

Return to General Manager's Office