draft predictions

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 pm

I know a lot of you out there want a big wide receiver. I have a few guys here that have size and speed but will probably not be high draft picks. So one or more of these guys should be available in the later rounds if we need to grab a receiver.

Justin Harper - Va Tech 6'3" 206 I am more familiar with this guy than any others. I've watched him since high school. He really came into his own this year and made several spectacular catches. His numbers would have been better, but erratic QB hampered all of their WRs

De'Cody Fagg - FSU 6'3" 211 The length of his arms makes him play more like 6-6.

Lance Leggett - Miami 6'3" 193 This guy may be a true find. He may be the most under utilized talent to ever go to the U.

There are more out there of course, but these guys are playmakers.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:18 am

Lance Leggett - Miami 6'3" 193 This guy may be a true find. He may be the most under utilized talent to ever go to the U.

Please god no. Absolutely not. As a Canes fan I can tell you that we want nothing to do with Leggett. He is absolutely worthless. Every single Canes fan was glad to see him go. Leggett was a 5 star recruit coming into Miami and did nothing to live up to his hype. He runs bad routes, drops passes, has alligator arms, doesn't always give fill effort, and at one point this season actually ducked out of the way of a pass that ended up getting picked off. Out of high school he was a track star who some people thought could turn his pure athletic ability into success on the football field. It didn't happen. Pass on Leggett for sure.
Suck and Luck

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:11 am

We need to try and find a gamechanging WR, not just a big possession WR. I would really like to see one taken in the first two rounds and another one at some point after that. Its also a priority to get young players at DE, LB, and OL, in addition to WR. Depending on what we do in FA i think we will draft people for those positions.

Possible 1st Rounders

Calais Campbell, Miami,6-8, 280 lbs., DE- Big DE who can play strong side and still get to Qb, like a less polished, bigger Mike Strahan. Unfortunately, our late run may have taken us out of his draft range but only time will tell.

James Hardy, Indiana, 6-7, 220 lbs, WR- Junior who may not declare but probly will. Averaged more than a TD per game in college. Tall, but also a severe speed threat. Lacks some physicality. Not hyped for first round yet but should get there after the combine and the typical draft hyping take place.

Adarius Bowman- 6-4, 220 Lbs., OK State, WR- Big WR with speed, hands, and ups. Somewhat checkered past, and somewhat raw on routes still.

Malcolm Kelly- 6-4 217 Oklahoma WR- is part of a trio of big, athletic Big 12 receivers that could go in the first round, along with Texas' Limas Sweed and Oklahoma State's Adarius Bowman. He has sure hands and can make the catches he's supposed to and more. Once he gets the ball in his grasp, he's got the quickness to go the distance.

Gosder Cherilus- 6-7 319lbs. OT- For four years, Cherilus protected his quarterback amazingly well and Ryan will be the first to credit Cherilus for the success this season of the Eagles' offense. However, he is not just a pass blocking tackle. The Boston College running game thrived under his leadership as well. Coming from O Linemen U, the four year starter has the pedigree, skills, and size to be playing right tackle on Sunday for a long, long time

Ryan Clady of Boise State is another good OT but should go earlier. If both those OT's are gone and they really want one Sam Baker out of USC is good. If Sweed, WR out of Texas, has a good combine, he could slip back into the first round after injury.Quentin Groves may also be an option but I think they are looking more for Daniels' replacement than carters. Derrick Harvey of Florida may be able to replace Daniels though and should go around then. He's the guy who sacked Troy Smith 3 times in the NCAA championship last year. I guess Aqib Talib out of Kansas is a possibilty since you can never have too many corners. He is a ballhawk in every sense of the word. His stock could skyrocket. Antoine Cason of Arizona is another decent corner.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am

Cason is a top 5 pick in my opinion. He's by far the best CB in the draft and may be the best Def. player. That kid is amazing.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:Some of the mock drafts I've seen have Calais Campbell going around pick 19 or 20, so hopefully we will be in a position to draft him. He has the ability to get to the qb, but also has the size to stand up against the the run.

I have to credit you for bringing him to my attention initially, and I did some more research on him.

I think he'd be perfect...

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Some of the mock drafts I've seen have Calais Campbell going around pick 19 or 20, so hopefully we will be in a position to draft him. He has the ability to get to the qb, but also has the size to stand up against the the run.

I have to credit you for bringing him to my attention initially, and I did some more research on him.

I think he'd be perfect...

True. I live in Florida and have watched him at the U as well. He would be a perfect fit. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

swine

Draft speculation

Postby PigSkin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 am

The Skins are without a head coach, which makes any theories about the draft at this point spurious (not Spurrier), but what are these boards for anyway?

Linemen would be a top priority of mine every year (you’ve got to win the battle in the trenches) but I can’t see picking one first this year unless there’s some real quality left when the 21st pick comes around. Glenn Dorsey (LSU) is the top DL and Jake Long (Michigan) is the best OL. They’ll probably go in the top five. Sedrick Ellis (USC) will go quickly, and Chris Long would be an early pick too.

Among the skill positions, a player who is very versatile and who could still be around by the time of Skins first pick is Felix Jones. He’s been living in McFadden’s shadow at Arkansas for three years, but he’s a great RB in his own right. He’s also a top flight kick returner and can catch the ball too. He hasn’t announced eligibility yet, but he will soon (Jan. 15 deadline).
Last edited by PigSkin on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:33 am

I read that he announced it this morning, or said he was also ocming foregoing his senior year just like McFadden, anyway. Wasn't an official announcement.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:18 am

I have the ONLY concrete draft prediction.

No matter which player at whatever position we take, somebody won't be happy about it and will be here bitching and complaining. And you can take that to the bank.

:lol:

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Limas Sweed, Kenny Phillips, Kentwan Balmer, Calais Campbell, Vernon Gholston, Malcolm Kelly, Derrick Harvey

Any of those would do
XVII XXII XXVI

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 am

Update from the Senior Bowl....

Texas WR Limas Sweed is back at full throttle following a wrist injury that cut his senior season short. He showed no lingering affects of the injury when catching the ball and looked able to separate versus man-to-man coverage with ease. What impresses us most is Sweed's body control as a bigger receiver (6-foot-4, 215 pounds). He does an excellent job of using his frame to shield the defender from the ball in the air. From the early looks of it, Sweed could emerge as one of the big winners from this year's Senior Bowl process.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/news/story?id=3207568
Suck and Luck

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:Update from the Senior Bowl....

Texas WR Limas Sweed is back at full throttle following a wrist injury that cut his senior season short. He showed no lingering affects of the injury when catching the ball and looked able to separate versus man-to-man coverage with ease. What impresses us most is Sweed's body control as a bigger receiver (6-foot-4, 215 pounds). He does an excellent job of using his frame to shield the defender from the ball in the air. From the early looks of it, Sweed could emerge as one of the big winners from this year's Senior Bowl process.

Wow, that's great. Although I hope his stock doesn't rise too much... :D

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:50 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Update from the Senior Bowl....

Wow, that's great. Although I hope his stock doesn't rise too much... :D

That was actually my reaction as well. If he hadn't gotten hurt this season he might be a top 10 pick. However, Mel Kiper's latest mock draft has Calais Campbell and Sweed both available when we pick. I would prefer Sweed (blasphemy for me to say that as a Miami law grad and lifelong fan) but I would be thrilled with Campbell as well.
Suck and Luck

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:24 pm

shoot if campbell sweed harvey hardy and rivers are all available when we pick, like mel says, we have nothing to worry about. I do not however share his optimism they will all be there.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to General Manager's Office