Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR" is n

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
I can't see us taking Harvey. No doubt he was a beast at UF but the Gators' website has him listed at 227 pounds. Unless he can pack on some serious weight he is going to be more a 3-4 linebacker/DE tweener.

Campbell on the other hand, has the size to be an every down defensive end in the NFL. He can rush the qb but can also hold up against the run. Hopefully Campbell falls to us because I don't think that there are any other defensive ends that fit our needs that we can draft with the 21st pick.


The comment about Harvey's weight is just positively untrue. He's listed at 262 on the UF website, http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios. ... ayer_id=34.

I'm not sure where you came up with 227. He's a legit NFL prospect at DE for a 4-3 system.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Canes Skin
Posts: 6667
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
I can't see us taking Harvey. No doubt he was a beast at UF but the Gators' website has him listed at 227 pounds. Unless he can pack on some serious weight he is going to be more a 3-4 linebacker/DE tweener.

Campbell on the other hand, has the size to be an every down defensive end in the NFL. He can rush the qb but can also hold up against the run. Hopefully Campbell falls to us because I don't think that there are any other defensive ends that fit our needs that we can draft with the 21st pick.


The comment about Harvey's weight is just positively untrue. He's listed at 262 on the UF website, http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios. ... ayer_id=34.

I'm not sure where you came up with 227. He's a legit NFL prospect at DE for a 4-3 system.


Hmm that's odd. I also went on Gatorzone.com and came up with this....

91 Derrick Harvey

* Defensive Line
* 6-4 · 227
* Sophomore (RS), 1L
* Greenbelt, MD Roosevelt HS


http://gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2004&sub=team&bio=harvey.html

Perhaps the search that I did gave me his weight from a previous season???
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin
Posts: 6667
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:48 pm

And ESPN has another weight for him as well.

Harvey, 6-5 and 250 pounds, is ranked No. 9 overall (and No. 2 at his position) by ESPN Scouts, Inc..


I guess we'll just have to wait until the combine to get the real numbers for Harvey.
Suck and Luck

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR"

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:[Fact is this team needs a little help in every department. Another corner, defensive end, linebacker, receiver, offensive guard, tackle, a free saftie, a head coach.


Not TE, QB, DT, or RB!

And our FS of the future is Landry (he played Taylor's position the last few games). We may want a new SS, though.


I didnt mention tight end , QB, DT or Rb.


I know, I cherry picked out the positions you didn't mention. :wink:

|||
Posts: 4325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR"

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:[Fact is this team needs a little help in every department. Another corner, defensive end, linebacker, receiver, offensive guard, tackle, a free saftie, a head coach.


Not TE, QB, DT, or RB!

And our FS of the future is Landry (he played Taylor's position the last few games). We may want a new SS, though.


I didnt mention tight end , QB, DT or Rb.


I know, I cherry picked out the positions you didn't mention. :wink:


:) With all the changes that are about to commence , I dont know how comfortable I am knowing the Snyder and Vinny are currently our GM.

Yikes! Lets hope they find a new head coach and GM soon. :)
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

One Step Away
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: NoVA

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:44 am

As previously stated, we've got to see what HC we're going ot get before we duel opinions. There could be a complete shake-up in the making that we don't even see coming.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Hmm that's odd. I also went on Gatorzone.com and came up with this....

91 Derrick Harvey

* Defensive Line
* 6-4 · 227
* Sophomore (RS), 1L
* Greenbelt, MD Roosevelt HS


http://gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2004&sub=team&bio=harvey.html

Perhaps the search that I did gave me his weight from a previous season???


Look at the hyperlink itself. The actual link says year=2004 mine says year=2007. He's grown a lot in the last few years and he's bigger than Andre Carter now. (If only Harvey spends as much time in the weight room.)
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 pm
Location: Danville VA

Re: Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR"

Postby BnGhog » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:25 am

Mursilis wrote:more balls for that team


Mursilis wrote: Don't obsess over a few inches!



:-k

Hmmmm. No comment on this one fellas!
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6667
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:27 pm

From ESPN's latest mock draft...

21. Washington Redskins
Record: 9-7
Scouts Inc.'s biggest needs: WR, DE, S, OT, CB
Projected pick: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
The Redskins' top priority this offseason is to add a playmaking receiver to the roster. There projects to be a run of wide receivers in the bottom half of the first round before the shallow talent pool dries up and if the Redskins don't get involved here they're likely to get shut out of the wide receiver market. Sweed could become one of the steals of this year's draft; he possesses top-10 talent but will no doubt be undervalued due to a wrist injury that cut short his senior season but should have no long-term affects on his pass-catching ability.
Suck and Luck

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Re: Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR"

Postby por-tiz2skins » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:09 am

Mursilis wrote:If I have to read another armchair GM proclaim a "big tall possession WR" a top priority for this team, I'm going to explode. :explode: People, stop repeating what the last person wrote, and think! Sure, I've love to see us add a big tall fast WR with great hands - what team wouldn't?!? But is it a huge priority for this team? NO!!
Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls with a WR corp under 6'. His tallest guy was Patten, and we stole him away. NE didn't miss him and he didn't do a darn thing for us! Sure, Brady looks great tossing the ball to Moss, but Wes Welker, all 5' 9" of him, actually caught more balls for that team (led the WHOLE NFL, in fact). And it's not like Brady wasn't winning championships and racking up the stats with the no-names he had at WR before. Peyton Manning seems to do OK with Harrison and Wayne, both of whom are only 6'. Sure, Dallas Clark is 6' 3", but that's not the guy he set the TD record with - that was Harrison.
You know who was over 6'? Rod Gardner (6'2")! How'd that work out?!?! Mike Williams is 6'5" - talk about your prototype big possession receiver! So why has he been released twice in 4 years in the league? Think anyone would want 6'5" Williams over 5'9" Steve Smith from Carolina?!? Size is just one factor, people! Don't obsess over a few inches! We've already got Chris Cooley (6'3") - as long as he's healthy, there's our possession receiver. Our best record this decade was 10-6 in 2005, and we were without a possession guy then (other than Cooley). Didn't stop us that year from making the playoffs.
On the offensive side of the ball, the first (and only) big priority is the line. Having an all-star WR corp didn't get Detroit into the playoffs. Remember when they played us? John "The SackED King" Kitna was so busy running for his life, all those great Detroit WRs weren't factors. Get the line healed up and add some fresh young guys up front, and JC will be fine with Moss, Cooley, ARE, and some young talent - that Mix guy shows some promise. Besides, a healthy line at 100% will give the running game some holes, and we can go back to burning them with play action. After the O-line, we need to look at the D-line, the LBs (also had injury issues this year), and the secondary (Springs may or may not be back, Rogers is still out for a while, and Smoot had some injuries this year). A big tall possession reciever is way down on the priority list. Don't fall for the hype.
Brady had Deion Branch .Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Wayne who our both 6'1.But what you didn't look into was that both had great OL's with good D's.This past season for us our OL was horrible,JC had no time and had to learn a 700 play book.



Notice all the best QB's today have a 6'0 WR atleast.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Postby por-tiz2skins » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:11 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Hmm that's odd. I also went on Gatorzone.com and came up with this....

91 Derrick Harvey

* Defensive Line
* 6-4 · 227
* Sophomore (RS), 1L
* Greenbelt, MD Roosevelt HS


http://gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2004&sub=team&bio=harvey.html

Perhaps the search that I did gave me his weight from a previous season???


Look at the hyperlink itself. The actual link says year=2004 mine says year=2007. He's grown a lot in the last few years and he's bigger than Andre Carter now. (If only Harvey spends as much time in the weight room.)
Harvey would be a true Redskins for life,I live by greenbelt and close to Roosevelt HC and thats what we need.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: Stop the madness! A "big tall possession WR"

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 am

por-tiz2skins wrote:[Brady had Deion Branch .Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Wayne who our both 6'1.


I know fact checking and thinking things out before posting isn't your thing, but come on.

The Seahawks list Deion Branch at 5'9".

At least you're closer with Wayne and Harrison.

Colts list Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne as 6'0"

None of those 3 are big targets. Harrison & Wayne don't thrive because they outmuscle opponents, they thrive because they have good hands, are quick, and run precise routes. Well, and have Peyton Manning throwing the ball to them. But neither is a tall possession receiver. They're closer in size to Randle El (5'10", same weight) than they are to Larry Fitzgerald or the other WRs mentioned in this thread.

You are right that the OL is key. We must not forget our history; Redskins won 3 Superbowls with 3 different quarterbacks mainly because our offensive line was phenomenal. Give a QB all day to throw, and he'll have a lot of success. Very few QBs can thrive under a serious pass-rush.

Return to General Manager's Office