Off-season move

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:55 am

There's a reason why these guys get big salaries... usually they perform at some capacity that someone believes they are worth it. Just b/c they don't fit into a stereotypical age bracket or salary bracket(which some of your acquistitions would blow the salary cap out of the water), doesn't mean they aren't worth their money....
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:11 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:Jansen has to go we would get alot of cap space.

Considering we just signed him to a 5 year, 23 million dollar deal last February (with 10 mill in bonus money), I think you're wrong. Just the bonus money from thisextension alone would count 8 million against next year's cap to cut him.

There are others here who are far better at the salcap than I am, but it looks like cutting him and keeping him cost roughly the same.

We have to stop signing injury prone players, let alone old ones, to five year extensions.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:12 am

PulpExposure wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:Jansen has to go we would get alot of cap space.

Considering we just signed him to a 5 year, 23 million dollar deal last February (with 10 mill in bonus money), I think you're wrong. Just the bonus money from thisextension alone would count 8 million against next year's cap to cut him.

There are others here who are far better at the salcap than I am, but it looks like cutting him and keeping him cost roughly the same.

You're 100% correct pulpExposure, and portiz2skins is just flat out incorrect.

As a matter of fact, we would actually LOSE cap pace if we cut or traded Jansen. His cap hit for next year is a whopping $8.8M but if we cut him - it would escalate to 10.6M... meaning it would cost the Redskins an EXTRA $1.8M in cap to move JJ.

If we designated him a post June 1 cut... we'd pay $3.9M in 2008 (which would save us $5M), but we would still owe $5M in dead cap in 2009.

Just because a player has a big cap number, doesn't mean that getting rid of them will save you big bucks... in many cases, it will not... especially in many Redskins' cases. That's how we design contracts... tons of bonus money, and tons of backloading... unfortunately, when you re-work existing deals, it becomes more and more difficult to jettison the contract without it costing huge cap dollars.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Return to General Manager's Office