Another Mock Draft.

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Another Mock Draft.

Postby BnGhog » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

This mock draft says we will take

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_ID=1310

1st round

Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn

6'3 - 254 lbs

The Redskins must improve their pass rush next season, as they are very old at the ends of the defensive line and getting to QBs will be especially important since they took a tragic hit in the secondary, losing Sean Taylor. Groves has been dominant for Auburn this season and his blazing speed around the outside will be hard to stop at the next level.

Speed is the strength of Groves' game. He runs a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash and has a good closing burst. He has the ability to cover a lot of ground with his quickness, which makes him good in pursuit. He's a reliable tackler. The questions about him start with his tendency to take plays off. He's also undersized to play on the line, with most scouts viewing him as being slow off the ball and lacking the strength to be a power rusher, since he struggles at times to get off blocks.

Many scouts project Groves as a linebacker in the NFL, with him likely better suited for a 3-4 scheme. He'll play in the Senior Bowl at end of January, which could go a long way in determining his draft slot. He currently projects to a be a second-round selection

Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma St.
6'4 - 220 lbs

Bowman caught the nation's attention last season, his first at Oklahoma State, where he caught 60 passes for 1,181 yards and 12 touchdowns, with the highlight of his year being an amazing 13-catch, 300-yard, four-touchdown day against Kansas. As a result, he was named the Big 12's Newcomer of the Year and on a number of award watch lists coming into the 2007 season.

The one potential snag for Bowman is his past. He got off to a promising start at North Carolina, after coming in as one of the nation's top prep prospects, but halfway into his sophomore season, he was suspended for a drug-related issue, resulting in his transfer to OSU. But, as long as he keeps the past in the past, there is no risk and only reward in taking him. Bowman also had vision issues before this season, but after getting corrective surgery, that's behind him as well.

Character issues aside, there is a good chance that he could be the first or second receiver taken in the draft, because he projects so well on the next level and stands to be a quick-impact player, a la Dwayne Bowe.

Well, I agree we need a DE but Im not sure about this guy. Sounds too light and says he had some injurys and played LB. I don't think we need a LB. We need a DE.

Adarius Bowman sounds like a good second round pick to me.
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:35 pm

yea i don't think groves fits our needs. I'm not sure Bowman makes it that late into the second either, but its a possibility. At this point i think we can at least say its probable we will take Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Calais Campbell, Keith Rivers, Phillip Merling, or Kentwan Balmer in the first. But after the combine some guys will move up and some will slip back so the options could expand to slippers like Derrick Harvey, Aqib Talib, Sam Baker, Kenny Phillips or Malcolm Kelly or risers like Ali Highsmith, Jeff Otah, Bowman, or Early Doucet. For second rounders, i like Lawrence Jackson if we don't go DE in the first.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piglet

Postby rod_gardner_fan_club » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm

That guy's mock has Campbell and Harvey off the board when it gets to us, who seem to be the two solid prospects at defensive end that have a shot to be there when it gets to us (And even then, Harvey seems like more of a hybrid). I think if we're in that situation, we should either just trade the pick or take Limas Sweed/Malcolm Kelly (this mock has both still on the board). Groves is not a fit with our defense, and we can't really afford to take a guy who's not in a particular need position (as I'm considering him to be a LB) in the first round.

I'd honestly probably test the trade waters on this pick. The tackle Jeff Otah is still on the board according to this mock, and maybe a few teams would want to get him.

*Edited for clarity.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 am

We don't need another speed end, we already have one. Without killer DT's, we need more of a power end, and a 3/4 outside LB isn't going to cut it.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to General Manager's Office