Chad Johnson?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
piglet

Chad Johnson?

Postby rod_gardner_fan_club » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm

He wants out of Cincinnati. We want a big receiver and he is one of the best in the game. Can we make a trade happen here?

Scouts inc. lists their top needs as DT, LB, OT, DE, TE.

So to me, we've got Jansen, who everyone's saying we need to release anyways. Would they make the trade for Jansen? What if we added a draft pick? Second round? First, even?

The Bengals have Housh and Henry, a disgruntled Chad Johnson isn't worth that much to them, especially if they can get a Jansen-type in return for him.

So why isn't this trade happening?

P.S., Image

Make it happen.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I'll call the league right away and get them to can that pesky "salary cap" deal and install the Tecmo Bowl III trading system.....

Even without the financial ramifications that would come into play, Cincy would take no less than 2 first round picks + Jansen (coming off another major injury and a shadow of his former self) for Ocho Cinco, and that price is simply too steep.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

I got a question for you guys......

Postby KennyKenn21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Lets just say...... Bengals wanted to deal Chad Johnson

A . Would you be interested?

B. At what price?

I honestly think we do need a tall WR like him who makes plays and demands double coverage at all times, and would also make santana and El even more dangerous playing man to man all the time ( reminds me of a Moss , Welker combo) ....... I would offer our 1st round pick for him.

piglet

Postby rod_gardner_fan_club » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm

When has a receiver commanded that much? And also, I couldn't find a cap figure on him but Jansen's number can't be that much lower, can it?

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 pm

rod_gardner_fan_club wrote:When has a receiver commanded that much? And also, I couldn't find a cap figure on him but Jansen's number can't be that much lower, can it?

At this point, Jansen is more a name than a player....the kind of player that "Old Dan" would've signed. Johnson is injury-free and in the prime of his career.

Jansen is coming off of another season-ending injury and can contribute at a decent (not high) level for maybe 2 more seasons. You can't expect more than that.

85 is healthy and just turned 30. He's in great shape and can most likely continue as a #1 receiver for at least 5 more years, barring injury.

This is not the NBA, where teams want to acquire aging or nonproductive players with soon-to-expire contracts to help their cap situation and have more money for free agency the next year. In the NFL, the fact that Jansen and Ocho Cinco both have high cap numbers is more of a hindrance than a help. NFL trades are driven by production and not salary cap "slots", which is one reason that they're much rarer than NBA trades.

From a production standpoint, Ocho Cinco is much more valuable than Jansen at this point, even though both have high cap numbers. To make this trade, the Bengals would need to get a minimum of two 1st round picks in order to justify the loss of production without reduction in salary that would result from this trade.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Junior Hog

Re: Chad Johnson?

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:36 pm

rod_gardner_fan_club wrote:He wants out of Cincinnati. We want a big receiver and he is one of the best in the game. Can we make a trade happen here?

So why isn't this trade happening?

Because Marvin Lewis has said they're not trading Chad and we are $20 million over the cap.

Here's another thread about Chad.

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25956
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to General Manager's Office