Character vs. Talent

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk

Character vs. Talent

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Will we continue to value character as highly as we should?

Maybe the Pats used to but got "busted" for compromising:

Associated Press
Wednesday, February 6, 2008; Page E03

New England Patriots defensive back Willie Andrews pleaded not guilty to drug possession yesterday in Lowell, Mass., hours after authorities said they found him with a half-pound of marijuana.

Andrews, 24, was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and driving an unregistered motor vehicle. Prosecutors said he had $6,800 in cash, three bags of marijuana, and no means to smoke the drugs.

Andrews was released on personal recognizance after entering not guilty pleas during his arraignment in Lowell District Court.

Andrews's attorney, Sean Delaney, declined to comment, as did the Patriots.

Not that all pot smokers are bad character guys but ... could his mind have been elsewhere during the game?

I wonder who the guys are out there that we'd really want and that are gettable. Funny, those guys usually cost less and produce more ... and we can be proud of them ... you know ... like Monk and Green.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Re: Character vs. Talent

Postby Skinstwins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I wonder who the guys are out there that we'd really want and that are gettable. Funny, those guys usually cost less and produce more ... and we can be proud of them ... you know ... like Monk and Green.

DarthMonk

It's so difficult to know who has the kind of character that Monk and Green have. It's a shot in the dark. I remember so well how the press immediately reacted to Sean Taylor's death. That it must have been gang related. His earlier lifestyle, I suppose, was the culprit for that reaction, but he changed for the better (which is one of the many reasons his death hurt us so much). We can look at numbers and past plays to form a judgement as to how good a player will be in a game and be way off (Brandon Lloyd), but character is so much harder to define because it can change so easily depending on circumstances. I must admit, I have no idea what circumstances Willy Andrews must have been in to sell drugs on the street. It does boggle the mind. Those like Mr. Monk and Mr. Green are quarks in the fabric. They are not only hard to find, but hard to define.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Will we continue to value character as highly as we should?

Associated Press

New England Patriots defensive back Willie Andrews pleaded not guilty to drug possession yesterday in Lowell, Mass., hours after authorities said they found him with a half-pound of marijuana.

Andrews, 24, was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and driving an unregistered motor vehicle. Prosecutors said he had $6,800 in cash, three bags of marijuana, and no means to smoke the drugs.

Andrews was released on personal recognizance after entering not guilty pleas during his arraignment in Lowell District Court.

Not that all pot smokers are bad character guys but ... could his mind have been elsewhere during the game?

I wonder who the guys are out there that we'd really want and that are gettable. Funny, those guys usually cost less and produce more ... and we can be proud of them ... you know ... like Monk and Green.

DarthMonk

character doesn't win ball games, but i would say you have to be careful now because of emperor goodell''s code of conduct.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 pm

The whole character thing is a little overrated and overblown. I'm not saying you take anyone with talent, but people grow up and change, especially when they are as young as some kids are when they leave college and go to the NFL. Obviously, you stay away from a guy like Pac Man or TO, but Moss has been trouble-free in New England and Corey Dillon helped them win a Super Bowl despite all the claims that he was a locker room cancer. For example, I would have no problem signing a guy like Albert Haynesworth, despite some of the problems that he has had with his anger.
Suck and Luck

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am

I think character means:

- practices hard

- plays harder

- never gives up

- studies the plays

- listens to the coaches

- plays to win...not for individual records.

The team has to be built by guys like Monte Coleman and Mark Rypien. Has Snyder learned? Amazing: MLB has learned. They draft, coach, build. Teams that sign free agents die. Has Snyder learned?

One sign would be if he hired a real GM and limited himself to whatever he knows. Not yet.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 am

Ahahahahah Randy Moss matured!! Moss was getting the ball doing what he wanted, of COURSE he wasn't being disruptive. I would bet dollars to donuts that if he WASN'T getting the ball, he's be the same old Moss.... same with T.O.

Also, the problem with the 'questionable character' is that it DOES cause problems on the field/in the locker room. You think that Tiki's antics last year DIDN'T have a detrimental affect in the Giants locker room? Give me a break. I'm sure that if the bad attitude leaks out to the public, it's already out of hand in the locker room....
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:35 am

DarthMonk wrote:Will we continue to value character as highly as we should?

Associated Press

DarthMonk

This guy who got busted sucked! He had a total of seven tackles this season. Not only does he have bad character he is not much of a player either. Not very smart, he makes alot of money and decides to carry half a pound of pot in his car. Real smart move! what a bonehead!
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:35 am

welch wrote:I think character means:

- practices hard

- plays harder

- never gives up

- studies the plays

- listens to the coaches

- plays to win...not for individual records...

At least conducting their private lives in way that DO NOT embarrass their team? and talking about Art Monk and Darrell Green, preferably contributing to their communities and helping less fortunate people :idea:

I will take character over ability 10 out of 10 times. But I will take character -and- ability 20 over 10 times. :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Return to General Manager's Office