Franchise Tag

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Franchise Tag

Postby andyjens89 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:23 pm

I was wondering if a team uses its franchise tag on a player and the next day the player signs a long contract (e.g. Dallas Clark), does the team get the franchise tag back to use on someone else or is it used on the player AND the player gets the long term deal? I am confused. :lol:
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 am

NFL teams may designate franchise and transition players during a 15-day period starting on Feb. 7 and lasting until 4 p.m. ET on Feb. 21. The salary level offered by the player's previous team determines what type of franchise or transition player he is. Clubs can designate one franchise player or one transition player in any given year.

There are two types of franchise players, "exclusive" and "non-exclusive."

Clubs can designate an exclusive franchise player by offering the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of the end of the restricted free agent signing period, or a 20 percent increase over his 2007 salary, or the average of the top five salaries at his position as of the end of last season -- whichever of the three is greater. The offering club retains exclusive negotiating rights and other clubs cannot negotiate with exclusive franchise players.

A non-exclusive franchise player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at his position in the 2007 season, or a 20 percent salary increase, whichever is greater. The offering club does not hold exclusive negotiating rights, and the player can negotiate with other clubs. The original club may match any offer to retain the player, or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation if it elects not to match. The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players is from Feb. 29 through July 15. Clubs have until July 15 to sign franchise players to a multi-year contract or extension; after this date the player may only sign a one-year tender for the next season.

Clubs may designate a transition player by offering a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of 2007 at the player's position, or a 20 percent salary increase, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match an offer sheet within seven days given to the player by another club. If the offering club does not match the offer sheet, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from Feb. 29 to July 22.

Full Article Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:21 am

I understand how the franchise works in accordance with contracts, I was just wondering if a team that used its tag on a player and the player signs a different contract the next day does the team get to re-use the tag?
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:33 am

andyjens89 wrote:I understand how the franchise works in accordance with contracts, I was just wondering if a team that used its tag on a player and the player signs a different contract the next day does the team get to re-use the tag?

No. One and Done. Even if the contract is signed the same day. Once a team files Franchise Tag papers with the NFL league office that is it.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:33 am

GSPODS wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:I understand how the franchise works in accordance with contracts, I was just wondering if a team that used its tag on a player and the player signs a different contract the next day does the team get to re-use the tag?

No. One and Done. Even if the contract is signed the same day. Once a team files Franchise Tag papers with the NFL league office that is it.

Alright, thanks
XVII XXII XXVI

Return to Football 101