Drayton Florence

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Canes Skin

Drayton Florence

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:17 pm

League sources expect the Redskins to pursue free agent cornerback Drayton Florence, who played for the Chargers.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Not a bad guy to have for depth IMO

I don't think he should start, but nickel or dime would be fine

Definitely better than Macklin or Torrence or Eubanks
XVII XXII XXVI

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:10 pm

RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Jake wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyYtinSsl8

:-D

we NEED him

I remember in week 3 when San Diego was playing Green Bay, I was at the game and Donald Driver almost had his head taken off by a San Diego defensive back. Can't remember who it was though.... probably Florence :lol:
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Nevermind I found a video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RmBjvrvePw4

Florence was covering Driver and the safety leveled him
XVII XXII XXVI

Postby yupchagee » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Height: 6-0 Weight: 195 Age: 27

Born: 12/19/1980 Waycross , GA

College: Tuskegee

Experience: 5th season

Has been a starter the last 3 yrs.

Could compete for a backup slot.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 pm

He will start for someone. I would bring him in for a look see but his cap number would have to be favorable.

Hog

Postby ChocolateMilk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:07 pm

Jake wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyYtinSsl8

:-D

was the anouncer serious when he said "i dont see how thats not a hit on a defensless receiver"? what a pansy
R.I.P. Sean Taylor

You will be missed, but never forgotten

piggie

Postby tj123456 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 pm

I thought leigh torrence had one hell of a season, and has solidified the nickle position... either g.williams or j.gibbs said he was the fastest guy they had clocked...

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:57 am

torrence impressed me more on special teams than he did at nickel. I will say that he did show improvement the more time he got. He may develop yet.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:35 am

Eubanks and Torrence were rookies and they did all right. This year is the year that they show what they've got. I agree, however, that we need depth, esp sinec Rogers won't be 100% until 09 season.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:Eubanks and Torrence were rookies and they did all right. This year is the year that they show what they've got. I agree, however, that we need depth, esp sinec Rogers won't be 100% until 09 season.

I'll give Torrence the benefit of the doubt and some credit for making a few plays last year, although I still don't see him as a starter. Eubanks, on the other hand, sucks. He was actually cut in the middle of the season last year before an injury to Smoot forced them to re-sign him for depth. I absolutely believe they need to bring in a CB and Florence is pretty good.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Leigh Torrence’s Career: Over or Just the Beginning?

Player Profile: Leigh Torrence, Cornerback, Stanford

NFL Experience: 2 years

Contract Remaining: 1 year

2008 Cap Number: $445,000

2008 Release Fee: None

All of the Hog Heaven Player Prospectus Series articles can be found by clicking here.

The Gregg Williams-era Redskins Defense always prided itself on DB play from Day 1. Whether it was the signing of Shawn Springs and the selection of Sean Taylor in 2004, the selection of Carlos Rogers in 2005, the ridiculous contract for Adam Archuleta in 2006, or the (re-)signing of Fred Smoot and selection of LaRon Landry a year ago, the secondary has been the primary focus for the Redskins over the last four years.

Which makes it all the more funny when the team consistently trots out an endless supply of replacement level defensive backs in crucial third down situations. Whether that was Walt Harris, Kenny Wright, Mike Rumph, or more recently, Leigh Torrance, it pretty much had the same effect overall.

Of course, grabbing Torrance off waivers was a more intelligent approach than waiting for any of those guys to improve, and for one simple reason: age. The other guys on that list are what they are: replacement level defensive backs. Torrance is a replacement level DB, but with the potential to be something more!

Now, Torrance isn’t exactly a Spring Chicken. He turned 26 right before the Redskins’ playoff game in Seattle. His coverage skills this past year were poor at best, and vomit inducing at times. The first time that most Redskin fans ever had heard of Leigh Torrance was on September 17th, when Mike Tirico called his name in a clutch situation, after Donovan McNabb sailed a 3rd down pass in the red zone over the head of an absolutely wide open Kevin Curtis, who had made a single out cut on the play.

If Leigh Torrance is going to develop some semblance of cover skils, it’s going to be done this offseason, and he’s going to have to roll into camp with them. If he can’t impress the new coaching staff in camp, there isn’t a whole lot of expectation for his future on this team, and in this league.

Regardless, as the incumbant, Torrance gets the first shot at holding his roster spot, that is to say that someone will have to come in and be more impressive to take it from him. The Redskins are likely going to try to replace David Macklin through free agency, as they are rumored to be chasing Chargers’ CB, Drayton Florence to be the next in the long line of guys brought in to make Carlos Rogers look good.

If Torrance gets cut in August, it will either be because the Redskins did their job in scouting bargain basement free agent CBs this offseason, or because John Eubanks or Byron Westbrook made significant strides. If Torrance makes the team, it’s either because he made significant strides, or simply because none of the above happened. Either way, Torrance has a lot of work to do to prove he isn’t a liability on defense, and to simply stay in the league.

Link

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm

It's pretty tough to start over Cromartie and Jammer, no matter how good you are. I'm sure he can still get it done as a third or fourth option. If they can get him cheap i have no objection.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby DaRealistJoka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 am

I only hear about his hitting ability, can the guy cover? From what I hear he should be a safety and not a corner.
DaRealist Fan
R.I.P Sean Taylor

Return to General Manager's Office