Javon Walker on Skins' Radar

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
spudstr04
Posts: 4116
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:13 am
Location: NC

Javon Walker on Skins' Radar

Postby spudstr04 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:11 pm

The Redskins could be interested in dealing for Javon Walker, according to the Denver Post.

The Redskins and Broncos often do offseason business, with Denver usually taking advantage of Washington (Clinton Portis-Champ Bailey, Ashley Lelie-T.J. Duckett-draft picks). Considering Walker's knee issues, this sounds like another potential robbery. The Post adds that if a Walker deal falls through, Washington could turns its attention to Jerry Porter.


http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8342215?source=rss


NO, NO, NO!!! I don't like Walker, Porter, or C-Johnson. I would much rather take DJ Hackett. :evil:
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Pure speculation. Notice all the "could's.'
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Forget Hackett. Forget Walker. Use the draft and develop our own players instead of overpaying for other teams' players. If Danny and Vinny trade a pick for a guy like Walker then that will be proof positive that they haven't learned a damn thing and that we are back to the fantasy football mentality.
Suck and Luck

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:12 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Forget Hackett. Forget Walker. Use the draft and develop our own players instead of overpaying for other teams' players. If Danny and Vinny trade a pick for a guy like Walker then that will be proof positive that they haven't learned a damn thing and that we are back to the fantasy football mentality.


Agreed. From what I've read, there's good depth of bigger receivers in the draft.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Postby fredp45 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:00 pm

In the draft we need to focus on Defensive players and O lineman more than anything.

We better not use our first three picks on a WR because we need other things way more and WRs take a long time to really make a difference. Plus, you never know about WRs, see Desmond Howard and Michael Westbrook as examples. Another really good example -- I know Calvin Johnson was hurt a little this year but that guy is a future stud (no question in my mind) and he didn't tear up the league his first year.

I'd rather get a big and tall WR in FA. Bryant Johnson, Hackett, etc..don't trade any draft picks away, get a FA. We need every pick we have and I really, really wish we had a 4th rounder. In fact, I'd be willing to trade down in the 1st round a few slots to pick up a 4th rounder. According to the NFL trade value chart, we could go from 21 to 26 (pick up 100 pts) and get a very early 4th rounder with that 100 points. I'd do that.

My motto this year is - DON'T DRAFT A WR!!!

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:44 pm

This draft is stacked with big receivers who will be cheaper and healthier.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Another really good example -- I know Calvin Johnson was hurt a little this year but that guy is a future stud (no question in my mind) and he didn't tear up the league his first year.


Actually that isn't really a good example if you compare his numbers to those of our receivers. In his rookie season Calvin Johnson had 54 catches, 888 yards, and 6 td's. That's better production than anything that our receivers managed to do this season.

I'd rather get a big and tall WR in FA. Bryant Johnson, Hackett, etc..don't trade any draft picks away, get a FA.


The last thing that we need is Hackett. This has been posted numerous times but the guy is an injury waiting to happen. Johnson isn't a bad option, but is he a starting caliber receiver?
Suck and Luck

Fire in the Sky
Posts: 4730
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Surfside

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Jake wrote:Pure speculation. Notice all the "could's.'


Yeah, I agree Jake.

And besides, it's just due diligence. Every team will take a look or "consider" one of these guys, that's what teams do this time of year and before free agency starts. That doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger though. Folks around the country just think the Skins want to sign everyone. Ain't happening this year.

Fire in the Sky
Posts: 4730
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Surfside

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Redskins Trade Rumors: Don't Let Facts Get in the Way of a Good Story



In the Denver Post, columnist Bill Williamson regurgitates some trade and free agency rumors that have been floating around ever since the end of the season:

Believe the reports that the Redskins are going to try to pry receiver Chad Johnson from Cincinnati. Johnson has been vocal about his desire to be dealt but Bengals coach Marvin Lewis recently said the Pro Bowl player will not be traded.

"If Johnson isn't traded, the Redskins could turn their attention to Javon Walker, who, like Johnson, wants to be traded. Yet, unlike Cincinnati, Denver wants to accommodate Walker with a trade.

Washington and Denver have been willing trading partners in the past and could easily make a deal. If not Walker, Washington could pursue Oakland's Jerry Porter."


Rumors also are making the rounds that the Skins are after Lance Briggs and that they are going to give him the $20 million guaranteed and $7 million annual contract that his agent is seeking.

In other words, the Redskins are going to party like it’s 2000.

All of these tales are forgetting one little fact that will seriously hamper the Redskins if, indeed, they wanted to go raiding other teams of their veteran talent. When it’s 12:01 AM this Friday, the Redskins will be under the salary cap by the slimmest of margins.

It’s only slightly more than the value of the spare change I have sitting on my dresser right now.

Certainly, we’ve seen the Redskins work some magic with the cap in the past, reworking a deal here and guaranteeing a bonus there and, boom, there’s room on the credit card to go shopping. And the Skins undoubtedly will make a move or two for depth or perhaps a second-tier receiver with size and they will need to rework deals to accomplish that.

It’s not that they can’t create enough space to take on Johnson’s salary or to work something with Lance Briggs. And, with the Redskins the key phrase always is “never say never.” But every year the writers lap up whatever Drew Rosenhaus and the other cadre of agents gathered at the combine feed them and this year is no exception.

No sense in letting the facts get in the way of a good story.


Link

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: I'm a Masshole

Postby TincoSkin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:40 pm

I, asive stated before, want nothing more this offseason than a bad mother f'n O line and LBs. but! if we can do some sort of crazy trade like lloyd for walker ill allow it. but if we have to give up picks and or a better asset than lloyd dont do it. prudence people!! prudencec.
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:58 pm

fredp45 wrote:In the draft we need to focus on Defensive players and O lineman more than anything.

We better not use our first three picks on a WR because we need other things way more and WRs take a long time to really make a difference.

I'd rather get a big and tall WR in FA. Bryant Johnson, Hackett, etc..don't trade any draft picks away, get a FA.

My motto this year is - DON'T DRAFT A WR!!!


totally agree. The WR position is a crapshoot every year in the draft. On top of that, Mayock, McShay, and others all say that this is a down year for WR anyway.

According to them, '08 was already projected to be one of the best classes of O-line to come out in a while, even before all the stud juniors declared. Now they are saying it could be the best in a decade or so.

Coincidently, that happens to be our oldest position group on the team.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:13 pm

We could always get Mike Williams... I mean he's only 280 lbs and all
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Postby por-tiz2skins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Get Walker I mean what are you guys saying?.



Report: Dallas working on deal for WR Walker


Walker
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that owner Jerry Jones is working on a deal to bring Javon Walker to Dallas.
However, the source says it's possible Walker's knee won't allow him to pass a physical. There seems to be a lot of concern about Walker's long-term health within the league. He shouldn't cost more than a fifth-round pick. Feb. 25 - 3:22 pm et


If hes just worth a 5th round pick than we can steal a former-pro-bowl WR who has great hands and speed.Hes injurys has killed him yes but we can also get TJ hackett and still draft in the 3rd or 4th to get DJ hack or Adioulsnt Thomas.


Lets get him Redskins .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=US8TpueYgXQ
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:16 pm

por-tiz2skins wrote:Get Walker I mean what are you guys saying?.



Report: Dallas working on deal for WR Walker


Walker
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that owner Jerry Jones is working on a deal to bring Javon Walker to Dallas.
However, the source says it's possible Walker's knee won't allow him to pass a physical. There seems to be a lot of concern about Walker's long-term health within the league. He shouldn't cost more than a fifth-round pick. Feb. 25 - 3:22 pm et


If hes just worth a 5th round pick than we can steal a former-pro-bowl WR who has great hands and speed.Hes injurys has killed him yes but we can also get TJ hackett and still draft in the 3rd or 4th to get DJ hack or Adioulsnt Thomas.


Lets get him Redskins .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=US8TpueYgXQ


So you want to add not just one, but two injury prone receivers?
Suck and Luck

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Postby por-tiz2skins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:11 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:Get Walker I mean what are you guys saying?.



Report: Dallas working on deal for WR Walker


Walker
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that owner Jerry Jones is working on a deal to bring Javon Walker to Dallas.
However, the source says it's possible Walker's knee won't allow him to pass a physical. There seems to be a lot of concern about Walker's long-term health within the league. He shouldn't cost more than a fifth-round pick. Feb. 25 - 3:22 pm et


If hes just worth a 5th round pick than we can steal a former-pro-bowl WR who has great hands and speed.Hes injurys has killed him yes but we can also get TJ hackett and still draft in the 3rd or 4th to get DJ hack or Adioulsnt Thomas.


Lets get him Redskins .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=US8TpueYgXQ


So you want to add not just one, but two injury prone receivers?
Adain.If hes just gonna get traded for a 5th rounder than why not.Maybe hes not a healthy guy but hes better than trading our first rounder and 3rd for Chad Johnson.He even at injured is better than Santana and with Walker well be killing teams off the break.When Healthy hes a top 10 WR.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Return to General Manager's Office