Vilma or Briggs

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
spudstr04

Vilma or Briggs

Postby spudstr04 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 am

The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.

Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma, though that seems unlikely.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss

We all know that Briggs will hit the FA market and will command a high dollar price, but what about Vilma. He's coming off an injury season and could come cheaper than Briggs. He's a LB from The U and would be a great addition to our LB core. If we could get him for a 3rd rounder, it would be a good trade.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:20 pm

i want both
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:22 pm

as i have said in other threads all i want for christmas is an offensive line, and now i also want a killer LB core. thats it. no new wide outs, no new flash and bang. just an O line and flexible LBs able to drop into coverage and hit a qb. thats all.
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Normally I hate trading picks for players, but I think that making a reasonable (key word reasonable) attempt at trading for Vilma would be a smart decision. Vilma is one of the best linebackers in the league imho, but he struggled the last few seasons because the Jets didn't use him the right way. Given the age of our linebackers and the injury history of Rocky, Vilma would be a smart addition to the club provided we don't overpay.
Suck and Luck

Postby yupchagee » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Jonathan Vilma | #51 | ILB

New York Jets | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 230 Age: 25

Born: 4/16/1982 Coral Gables , FL

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 4th season

If healthy, he's a stud. If he passes his physical & doesn't cost too much, get him.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:43 pm

He is going to be super expensive. He is also not the right for our defense.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:08 pm

TincoSkin wrote:i want both

Me too
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 pm

frankcal20 wrote:He is also not the right for our defense.

He didn't fit the 3-4 the Jets ran the past 2 years, but is perfect for the 4-3, which is what we run.
XVII XXII XXVI

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 pm

andyjens89 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:He is also not the right for our defense.

He didn't fit the 3-4 the Jets ran the past 2 years, but is perfect for the 4-3, which is what we run.

Why would we want Vilma? MLB may be the deepest position on the team other than RB. And at the rate that RB's get hurt, it may be the deepest.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:05 pm

brad7686 wrote:Why would we want Vilma?

London Fletcher = 33

HB Blades = unproven

Vilma = ROY & Pro Bowl & 26
XVII XXII XXVI

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 pm

andyjens89 wrote:

London Fletcher = 33

HB Blades = unproven

I don't see how performing well at a position that isn't natural to him makes Blades unproven. If you can do this to a position of strength, imagine what we could do other positions like say WR

Santana Moss-injury machine and aging and lacking physicality
ARE-unproven and aging and lacking physicality
Caldwell-unproven without Tom Brady, lacking physicality, lacking explosiveness
Keenan McCardell- see FOSSIL in Webster's
Anthony Mix-Extremely unproven

If this team were perfect financially and had depth at other positions, maybe we could afford to pay Vilma starter money to replace Fletcher( who shows no sign of slowing up) in whatever amount of years it takes for him to slow up. But i just don't see the logic in bringing in expensive backups to a current position of strength.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby DaRealistJoka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:04 am

brad7686 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:

London Fletcher = 33

HB Blades = unproven

I don't see how performing well at a position that isn't natural to him makes Blades unproven. If you can do this to a position of strength, imagine what we could do other positions like say WR

Santana Moss-injury machine and aging and lacking physicality

ARE-unproven and aging and lacking physicality
Caldwell-unproven without Tom Brady, lacking physicality, lacking explosiveness
Keenan McCardell- see FOSSIL in Webster's
Anthony Mix-Extremely unproven

If this team were perfect financially and had depth at other positions, maybe we could afford to pay Vilma starter money to replace Fletcher( who shows no sign of slowing up) in whatever amount of years it takes for him to slow up. But i just don't see the logic in bringing in expensive backups to a current position of strength.

IF I had to choose from these two I will pick Briggs, mainly because that is the position in doubt. Marcus is in his 30s battling with injuries in the pass two years; McIntosh is coming off a major knee injury, which troubled him in college as well that might shorten his career. UNPROVEN? H.B Blades I think can play any position at LB, and I believe he played very well when he had the chance to play. During the preseason and regular season he played every position. He brings versatility to the team. Vilma has only played MLB, I believe he has the ability to play other LB positions, but he only played that position, no time to experiment to see if he can. I can see if London wasn’t playing at a high level, but he is and H.B is there to back him up.

As for ARE I believe he has proved himself, this season was his best season as a pro, career high in reception and yards It was more of the coaches playing him out of position he is a slot WR. But I do agree a big receiver is a more pressing need.

Antwaan Randle El
2002 PIT 16 47 489 10.4 36 2 22 1 1
2003 PIT 16 37 364 9.8 32 1 21 0 0
2004 PIT 16 43 601 14.0 39 3 29 3 2
2005 PIT 16 35 558 15.9 63 1 23 2 1
2006 WAS 16 32 351 11.0 34 3 20 1 1
2007 WAS 15 51 728 14.3 54 1 38 1 0
Career 95 245 3091 12.6 63 11 153 8 5
DaRealist Fan
R.I.P Sean Taylor

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 am

Here is the thing. We are not going to get him based off needs alone. Getting a player at that position is not an area of need. We all know that we have limited cap space and to take on a player who will demand a high cap number makes absolutly no sense at all. Keep in mind we need a backup QB, O line depth, a CB, a Safety, and a WR. We will only be about 200k under the cap friday so where is all the $$$$ going to come from. Even with restructures, there will not be enough for a guy like Vilma or Briggs.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:52 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Here is the thing. We are not going to get him based off needs alone. Getting a player at that position is not an area of need. We all know that we have limited cap space and to take on a player who will demand a high cap number makes absolutly no sense at all. Keep in mind we need a backup QB, O line depth, a CB, a Safety, and a WR. We will only be about 200k under the cap friday so where is all the $$$$ going to come from. Even with restructures, there will not be enough for a guy like Vilma or Briggs.

Quick Update

Back from a mini vacation of sorts, or at least a day. Anyway, the Skins redid Chris Samuels's contract the other day after doing Jansen's as well - combined the deals created $6.3 million in cap space, so the Skins are roughly $3 million under and still have 3-4 other contracts they could rework to create more room.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Suck and Luck

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:32 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Here is the thing. We are not going to get him based off needs alone. Getting a player at that position is not an area of need. We all know that we have limited cap space and to take on a player who will demand a high cap number makes absolutly no sense at all. Keep in mind we need a backup QB, O line depth, a CB, a Safety, and a WR. We will only be about 200k under the cap friday so where is all the $$$$ going to come from. Even with restructures, there will not be enough for a guy like Vilma or Briggs.

Quick Update

Back from a mini vacation of sorts, or at least a day. Anyway, the Skins redid Chris Samuels's contract the other day after doing Jansen's as well - combined the deals created $6.3 million in cap space, so the Skins are roughly $3 million under and still have 3-4 other contracts they could rework to create more room.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

$3M to work FA and draft is not much atm. There's a lot of work we need to do before we start talking about big money names....
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to General Manager's Office