Should we make a run at DeAngelo Hall?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:38 am

yupchagee wrote:
1niksder wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:Where did Tony Romo go, again?

Cancun, right? With Jessica Simpson I believe.

That was just wrong :wink:

Back to Hall...

He's young, has skills at a position of need, is from Chesapeake, everyone knows he wants out of Atlanta...

Then again the Gints offered the 30th pick in the draft and Atlanta said that wasn't enough...

If his head is on straight I'd trade our first and second for Hall and their second. With the status of Carlos up in the air, Springs in his last year, and every CB on the roster having a history of injuries, we have the cap space to get him.

The move would sure up the corner spot, leave the NY football Giants flapping in the wind, and allow enough cap space to still get a big WR as the market comes down.

Of course we'll give Atlanta more than that and sign him to a deal that will leave the team with just enough to sign it's rookies, but it'll be a big name name signed before the draft and make "the Danny" par for the course

I wouldn't give up a 1st rnd pick for a corner. There is every reason to believe that Rogers will come back completely. We need linemen & a WR much more than a CB.

Rogers coming back completely isn't enough. He has NEVER lived up to his draft choice. He needs to come back new and improved.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Postby yupchagee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:31 am

Countertrey wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
There is every reason to believe that Rogers will come back completely. We need linemen & a WR much more than a CB.

Without commenting on how to best fill the hole, I'd suggest that we can probably not count on Rogers being at full capacity for well into next season, if not until OTA's in 2009. Recovery from tears of both the ACL and MCL are painstakingly slow. Part is the healing of the ligament repair... part is recovery of lost strength and muscle capacity... and part is recovery of confidence in the stability of the joint. It can take a full year after clearance to begin exercise to fully recover.

That's just how it is.

I expect that, even if Carlos is on the active roster, there will be a need for a quality corner to fill his role, for a substantial portion of the year, if not the whole year.

I'm talking long range. You don't use a 1st rnd pick to fix a temporary problem. We should be OK with Springs & Smoot at CB.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:28 pm

yupchagee wrote:I'm talking long range. You don't use a 1st rnd pick to fix a temporary problem. We should be OK with Springs & Smoot at CB.

What happens when one of them goes down? Who's gonna play the 3rd CB spot..... This year?

With D Hall, We are OK until we know what's going on with Carlos, once he's good to go, they can transistion Springs to saftey and improve another questionable postion. You use a 1st round pick if it fills a hole short term and allows you to beef up the whole unit long term.

I'm not saying give up the #21 though
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm

We don't need to add a stud corner this offseason. What we need is depth. There is no reason to go out and waste a first round pick in a trade for Hall. Yes he's a good player, but he also has some character issues and with Smoot and Springs as our starters he isn't going to make all that much of an impact on our defense. Sure he will help some, but not nearly as much as adding a stud defensive lineman would.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm talking long range. You don't use a 1st rnd pick to fix a temporary problem. We should be OK with Springs & Smoot at CB.

The issue of how you fill the hole is another discussion... however

1: The possible loss of a starting corner for the entire season IS a long range problem.

2: The point about depth remains an issue. Springs is but a groin pull away from being lost for 4 or 5 games. This is not a matter of a minor inconvenience... this has the potential to be disastrous.

I suspect the FO is going to do something to attempt to find a serviceable starter (despite your counsel)... the only questions are, how good a player do they pursue and how much do they spend?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Countertrey wrote:2: The point about depth remains an issue. Springs is but a groin pull away from being lost for 4 or 5 games. This is not a matter of a minor inconvenience... this has the potential to be disastrous.

Agreed. See the results of the 2006 season for further evidence.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Countertrey wrote:

The issue of how you fill the hole is another discussion... however

1: The possible loss of a starting corner for the entire season IS a long range problem.

2: The point about depth remains an issue. Springs is but a groin pull away from being lost for 4 or 5 games. This is not a matter of a minor inconvenience... this has the potential to be disastrous.

I suspect the FO is going to do something to attempt to find a serviceable starter (despite your counsel)... the only questions are, how good a player do they pursue and how much do they spend?

I don't think that anybody in this thread is saying that we don't need to add depth to the cb position. But it's one thing to add depth through the draft or signing a backup corner, but it's entirely different to trade our first rounder to Atlanta for Hall and then sign him to a huge contract (look to the Samuel contract as a reference point). We have 2 starters at the cb position, all that we need is depth. There are other positions, such as wr and dline, where we are in need of starters. Add another stud at cb at the expense of those other positions doesn't make very much sense.
Suck and Luck

Postby yupchagee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:14 pm

1niksder wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I'm talking long range. You don't use a 1st rnd pick to fix a temporary problem. We should be OK with Springs & Smoot at CB.

What happens when one of them goes down? Who's gonna play the 3rd CB spot..... This year?

With D Hall, We are OK until we know what's going on with Carlos, once he's good to go, they can transistion Springs to saftey and improve another questionable postion. You use a 1st round pick if it fills a hole short term and allows you to beef up the whole unit long term.

I'm not saying give up the #21 though

I'm not saying don't add depth at CB, I'm saying we have bigger needs this year, like WR & DL (& even OL).
Skins fan since '55

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't think that anybody in this thread is saying that we don't need to add depth to the cb position.

That may or may not be, Canes, but nor can you show me where I have said we should trade a first rounder. PLUS, clearly, there is at least ONE poster who has convinced himself that Rogers, Springs, and Smoot can be counted on. Rogers MAY NOT BE READY until the middle of the season, if at all, next year. Springs is clearly injury prone. Smoot has not regained his step.

A stopgap CB will probably end up starting. He'd better be good... I don't want a repeat of what happened to our O line happening to our corners.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Countertrey wrote:
I don't think that anybody in this thread is saying that we don't need to add depth to the cb position.

That may or may not be, Canes, but nor can you show me where I have said we should trade a first rounder. PLUS, clearly, there is at least ONE poster who has convinced himself that Rogers, Springs, and Smoot can be counted on. Rogers MAY NOT BE READY until the middle of the season, if at all, next year. Springs is clearly injury prone. Smoot has not regained his step.

A stopgap CB will probably end up starting. He'd better be good... I don't want a repeat of what happened to our O line happening to our corners.

It would be nice to have starter quality backups at all positions. Right now I think we need WR, interior OL & DL more than CB & would be foolish to use a high draft pick on a CB under these circumstances. We are 1 injury away from disaster in the interior O line right now. The only backup OL signed is Geisenger.
Skins fan since '55

Return to General Manager's Office